Monaghan v Tyrone - Sunday 15th June - St Tiernach's Park Clones

Started by GrandMasterFlash, May 25, 2014, 12:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Hopefully RTE take their key analyst Tommy Carr to task then. He thought the Hughes incident was a blatant black card. After multiple replays he decided that Hughes "took one for the team" yet later his colleagues decide that Sean dived. I didn't see the Sunday Game but did they highlight how easily the lad went over for the penalty?
That was never a square ball!!

Main Street

Tyrone are on the ground, beaten,  there are 3 million in the queue to stick the boot in.
I wonder why? :D

Maguire01

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 15, 2014, 11:28:16 PM
Hopefully RTE take their key analyst Tommy Carr to task then. He thought the Hughes incident was a blatant black card. After multiple replays he decided that Hughes "took one for the team" yet later his colleagues decide that Sean dived. I didn't see the Sunday Game but did they highlight how easily the lad went over for the penalty?
Clutching at straws.

From the Bunker

Ah a bit rough digging up footage from last years game versus Meath. But the reality is that if you are going to throw stones..... Like us all we have a good laugh when we do a bitta cute hoarism to win a match be it time wasting or fouling to win a game but we are not too happy when we are on the other side of the coin.

Maguire01

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on May 25, 2014, 12:23:31 PM
Now... This'll not be handy, especially with McManus out, I mean who will the oscar nominated Sean Cavanagh pull to the floor now?
That'll be Darren Hughes then.

Main Street

Quote from: Rois on June 15, 2014, 11:20:34 PM
I didn't realise it was such an offensive word - sorry. I meant really unsportsmanlike so if it means anything other than that, I really am sorry and obviously too naive to be trying to use the description of behaviour.
I didn't notice what Peter Harte did to warrant it but Main Street must have seen something which might justify it. But he'll blame Peter Harte for his player's unsightly behaviour and me for him using the word that needs stars...hmmm...
As I said, I'm blind to Tyrone faults, but plenty on here aren't (nor from the Sunday Game are RTE, why in god's name they went to a Tyrone v Meath game to pick up a time wasting point when on both occasions Meath had the ball I just don't know!).
I didn't see what Harte did but I would ask the Q  why was he singled out by Malone.  I would presume something had happened previously between them.
On the surface, Malone was unsporting, but you were way out line calling his action trampish.

screenexile

The Meath thing was Tyrone time wasting by fouling and stopping Meath from getting a goal. I'm sure there are umpteen clips you could get of that.

I'd personally like to see a Sean Cavanagh diving video... It'd be a long watch in fairness!

PS. The last free was a fair enough call but Cavanagh shouldn't have been omn the field to win it as the ref bailed out on giving him a black card which was nailed on!

Schkite

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 15, 2014, 11:31:48 PM
Clutching at straws.

It really is. I don't see how you can compare a penalty being given after clear contact with a player pulling another down with him to win a free. If your main defence is quoting Tommy Carr then it's not a very strong one to be fair.

Rois

Quote from: Main Street on June 15, 2014, 11:35:56 PM

On the surface, Malone was unsporting, but you were way out line calling his action trampish.
I have changed it as never meant to cause that much offence- seriously, please someone PM me what this word really means!

BennyHarp

Quote from: Schkite on June 15, 2014, 11:39:43 PM
Clutching at straws.

It really is. I don't see how you can compare a penalty being given after clear contact with a player pulling another down with him to win a free. If your main defence is quoting Tommy Carr then it's not a very strong one to be fair.

I think the lad went down very easily - is that not a dive to achieve an advantage? There was clear contact between Hughes and Cavanagh. Why was Hughes' arm over the top of Sean's shoulder? My quote of Tommy Carr is more a dig at the analysis on RTE. They have experts looking at the same incident and they arrive at completely polar apart conclusions.
That was never a square ball!!

God14

Sad to see hartes reign coming to an end in this manner. At odds with rte, at odds with referees, officialdom... He's at odds with many of his own supporters as well.

imtommygunn

Defenders arms will generally go over the top of cavanagh's shoulder as he lowers himself going into the tackle to draw fouls... Did it quite a few times today.

Maguire01

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 15, 2014, 11:50:36 PM
Clutching at straws.

I think the lad went down very easily - is that not a dive to achieve an advantage? There was clear contact between Hughes and Cavanagh. Why was Hughes' arm over the top of Sean's shoulder? My quote of Tommy Carr is more a dig at the analysis on RTE. They have experts looking at the same incident and they arrive at completely polar apart conclusions.
Crucially, the "experts" who had time to view the incident several times - and that's both Brolly and Spillane, and O'Se and Whelan - all reached the same conclusion.

And I haven't heard ANYONE else question the penalty decision.

Schkite

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 15, 2014, 11:50:36 PM
Clutching at straws.

There's definitely a difference between Cavanagh pulling Hughes's arm into him to look like he was dragged down when he wasn't, and Dessie coming into the penalty box at pace with a Tyrone defender running into him. If you think he went down easy then that's your opinion, but there's been no other complaints on that as far as I can see.

Regarding Tommy Carr, yeah they look at the same incident and came to different conclusions, but the lads in the studio have the benefit of time and replays to look over to decide exactly what happened. Mind you in this instance I thought the very first replay showed it clearly, maybe Carr didn't want to change his mind after initially saying it was a foul, or he could just be blind.

Maguire01

Quote from: God14 on June 15, 2014, 11:53:00 PM
Sad to see hartes reign coming to an end in this manner. At odds with rte, at odds with referees, officialdom... He's at odds with many of his own supporters as well.

In Irish News tmro: @TyroneGAALive manager Mickey Harte refused to speak to the media after the Red Hands' Ulster SFC semi-final defeat