Sham Colleges

Started by foxcommander, May 16, 2014, 09:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxcommander

4 Language schools have closed their doors in the last few weeks in Dublin. It has always seemed pretty evident that these were being run by gangsters who are only marginally up the ladder from pimps in their human trafficking escapades.
I can't see how you're studying if you're working in Charlies II

Is it time in Ireland to have a serious debate about immigration and 1 year working holiday visas without the whole "you're being racist" accusation being thrown at anyone who questions it?

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

foxcommander

And apologies to anyone who opened this thread thinking it was about Carlow IT  ;D

J70

So what are you objecting to? Immigration or gangsters taking advantage?

armaghniac

This is only peripherally concerned with immigration. Ireland has a legitimate business providing educational services internationally and these gangsters are tarnishing that reputation and need to be stopped.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

foxcommander

I didn't say I was objecting to anything - I said I think it's time for a reform of how immigration actually works in Ireland.
Surely there are some checks done on these schools to make sure that the "students" are actually attending and don't just disappear.
Anyone who's had a working visa to Australia knows the procedure. No entry prior to screening and even at that you only get one year. Renewals for further years depend on your attendance at the course.

The schools themselves need to be affiliated with proper language institutes.

J70

Is it a school's responsibility to make sure a student attends? I don't remember UCD taking roll calls in the years I was there (might have helped me get out a wee bit faster if they had! :P)

foxcommander

Quote from: J70 on May 16, 2014, 09:39:34 PM
Is it a school's responsibility to make sure a student attends? I don't remember UCD taking roll calls in the years I was there (might have helped me get out a wee bit faster if they had! :P)
You obviously weren't on a grant....

I think there is a certain responsibility of the school to ensure that their programs aren't being abused - unless the owners are themselves behind the ruse, as is the case with today's shenanagins with Millennium College.

The owners can't be contacted, I wonder why.

Syferus

Quote from: J70 on May 16, 2014, 09:39:34 PM

Colleges have gone mad on roll calls recently. I remember even almost every lecture had a sign in sheet going around, nevermind the lab classes.

foxcommander

Quote from: Syferus on May 16, 2014, 10:16:52 PM
Colleges have gone mad on roll calls recently. I remember even almost every lecture had a sign in sheet going around, nevermind the lab classes.
We had a roll call in the morning and afternoon. I think if we didn't claim the grant it went to the college's bank account...

Tony Baloney

fearsiuil

St. Jarlath's College

muppet

Quote from: foxcommander on May 16, 2014, 09:09:34 PM
Is it time in Ireland to have a serious debate about immigration and 1 year working holiday visas without the whole "you're being racist" accusation being thrown at anyone who questions it?

So what is your view on immigration?
MWWSI 2017

lynchbhoy

IMO
1.We need a green card system to control immigration before we are in the sihte like England with black market workers and unscrupulous businessmen
( with pseudo colleges as a front to enable foreign kids to come and work and exploit them)

2.And/or We need to address eligibility for benefits

3?We need to create a quality assurance/accreditation system for certain industries - such as construction - something akin to the safe pass system for health and safety
Only this accreditation requires a candidate to pass a required standard

We need to apply 2&3 for Irish nationals as well as any foreign immigrants

A green card system only expands the work already being done here where companies can import required workers where skill shortages apply - eg computer programming

The fake college lark is rampant in England and obv the founders of such colleges spotted the opportunity here are most of these businessmen are British based

foxcommander

Quote from: muppet on May 17, 2014, 02:21:49 PM

fairly straightforward.
If you are in a country illegally then you should be turfed out immediately. No appeals etc.
No benefits for minimum 1 year, you come to work if you get a visa. If it runs out tough - you gotta go.
Throwing citizenship around like confetti these days. Spongers galore around who shouldn't be in the country taking the piss.

muppet

Quote from: foxcommander on May 17, 2014, 08:21:02 PM
Quote from: muppet on May 17, 2014, 02:21:49 PM

fairly straightforward.
If you are in a country illegally then you should be turfed out immediately. No appeals etc.
No benefits for minimum 1 year, you come to work if you get a visa. If it runs out tough - you gotta go.
Throwing citizenship around like confetti these days. Spongers galore around who shouldn't be in the country taking the piss.

If the discussion is about illegal aliens then I agree they should be dealt with. However as members of the EU we signed up to certain rules on migration. EU citizens are neither illegal in Ireland, nor receiving citizenship. They are also entitled to much the same as we are. So I have to presume we are talking about immigrants from outside the EU?

Those who claim social welfare on both sides of the border are as big a problem as anyone imho.

MWWSI 2017