Donegal v Down Ulster Semi June 23

Started by J70, June 03, 2013, 02:45:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BluestackBoy

Quote from: seafoid on June 04, 2013, 10:20:02 AM
Quote from: ardtole on June 04, 2013, 08:57:13 AM
Bredagh Carryduff and Darragh Cross would be closest but are all intermediate, St Pauls Hollywood are junior. Loughinisland I think might be closest senior team to Belfast.
So is  most of the football in the south of the county ? I was up there recently and it was great passing by signs for places like Mayobridge.
Would they take any notice of an all Ireland in the Protestant towns ?

Not really, there are always people who are interested if sport full stop, but if you were looking for loads of Down flags in Newtownards, Holywood or Bangor you would have a long wait.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

ardtole

majority of players would come from clubs within 15 mile of newy. Players from Castlewellan,  bryansford loughinisland and to a lesser extent downpatrick and carryduff would also feature prominently over the years.

Main Street

Quote from: RMDrive on June 03, 2013, 02:21:50 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 03, 2013, 02:03:10 PM
Would agree with McCartans assessment, I think they have little or no chance against Donegal. It will be a totally different game against Donegal and I would be surprised if Down get within 4/5 points of them. Part of the problem for teams facing Donegal now is the growing myth surrounding Donegal (and in particular McGuinness) that they can't be beaten and thats why I'm surprised at McCartan's comments.

One of McGuinness' greatest virtues is nullifying the oppositions strengths so I wouldn't expect Mckernan or Poland to get anywhere near the amount of space they got yesterday. The game between these sides last year was over very early on and it wouldn't be realistic to expect to turn that around in 12 months.     

After 50 minutes last year, Donegal were only ahead by 2 points and Down were very much in the game. The concession of the 2nd goal seems to deflate them completely and they allowed Donegal to run up 1-09 in the last 20 minutes but the game was very competitive up to that.
Donegal have a pattern of destroying teams in the last 1/4 of the game.
If Down can stay in the game for 50 minutes and then score 4 quick goals, possibly they have a chance.
Nevertheless, I'll be rooting for the underdog to pull off some (ol' time aristocratic) magic in this game.

theticklemister

Quote from: ardtole on June 04, 2013, 08:01:27 AM
Has a venue been confirmed for the game? Ive heard Clones and Celtic Park mentioned but have either been confirmed?

Celtic Park no chance.

I don't think it had held a neutral ulster senior football championship game ever.

snoopdog

Quote from: theticklemister on June 04, 2013, 02:28:42 PM
Quote from: ardtole on June 04, 2013, 08:01:27 AM
Has a venue been confirmed for the game? Ive heard Clones and Celtic Park mentioned but have either been confirmed?

Celtic Park no chance.

I don't think it had held a neutral ulster senior football championship game ever.

Ulster Semi finals recently are held in clones or casement. Id say Clones will get the nod for both semis this year .

J70

It will be Clones.

I can't remember the last time they made us go to Belfast when we weren't playing Antrim.

seafoid

Quote from: ardtole on June 04, 2013, 11:04:04 AM
majority of players would come from clubs within 15 mile of newy. Players from Castlewellan,  bryansford loughinisland and to a lesser extent downpatrick and carryduff would also feature prominently over the years.
Thanks

PAULD123

Quote from: ONeill on June 04, 2013, 12:37:55 AM
Donegal 4-29
Down 0-5

(HT 1-6 to 0-5)

So your theory is that you lost to Donegal by six points, so automatically we must lose by way more! Because of course Tyrone are so far ahead of Down that there is no chance that we could actually get anywhere near to losing by as little as you did. That's a pretty arrogant position and it really does you no favours.

There is little merit in trying to denigrate other teams when your own team has just taken a lesson. O'Neill better you maybe just keep your head down and lick your wounds instead of trying to be a smart ass. It just makes you look childish

theticklemister

23rd Jun 2013
  14:00   Donegal v Down     

1/6   

10/1   

5/1   

there ye go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

feck ye seafood ye beat me to it!!!!!!!!!

DUBLIN ARE 1/4!

seafoid

Quote from: theticklemister on June 04, 2013, 04:01:04 PM
23rd Jun 2013
  14:00   Donegal v Down     

1/6   

10/1   

5/1   

there ye go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

feck ye seafood ye beat me to it!!!!!!!!!

DUBLIN ARE 1/4!
Dublin are probably 10 to 1 in Naas with Kildare 1/20 .

J70

Quote from: PAULD123 on June 04, 2013, 03:17:06 PM
Quote from: ONeill on June 04, 2013, 12:37:55 AM
Donegal 4-29
Down 0-5

(HT 1-6 to 0-5)

So your theory is that you lost to Donegal by six points, so automatically we must lose by way more! Because of course Tyrone are so far ahead of Down that there is no chance that we could actually get anywhere near to losing by as little as you did. That's a pretty arrogant position and it really does you no favours.

There is little merit in trying to denigrate other teams when your own team has just taken a lesson. O'Neill better you maybe just keep your head down and lick your wounds instead of trying to be a smart ass. It just makes you look childish

Relax. ;D

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 03, 2013, 10:16:54 PM
Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on June 03, 2013, 05:17:17 PM
Down have absolutely nothing to lose, nobody is expecting them to win.
So they should go for it; yeah, shaky defence, but one hell of a midfield and forward line on Sunday's showing -  just score more than Donegal and they win!! Simple!!

I hate that saying! There is always something to lose. Even if you lose a game, it's the manner of the loss.

Relax   ;D
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

armaghniac

A comeback to glory for the aristocrats?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B