Donegal v Tyrone Ulster Championship

Started by give her dixie, October 04, 2012, 08:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BluestackBoy

Quote from: Rodman on May 01, 2013, 09:52:56 PM

Have Donegal progressed from last year?  Do they have the same hunger? Will their first 15 stay injury free (cause they have nothing on the Bench). Maybe, but my money is on Tyrone.

Where in the name of God did you get the idea that Donegal have nothing on the bench!! During the league when there were up to 6 regulars missing then we were thin on the bench no doubt, but at full strength our bench is just fine. 
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

ONeill

Quote from: rrhf on May 02, 2013, 04:23:05 PM
Quote from: drici on May 02, 2013, 10:49:36 AM
Tyrone footballers to continue RTÉ boycott
http://maggieblanck.com/Mayopages/Boycott.html
He believes the approximate 35,000 capacity in Monaghan would have been filled by the derby which is normally run at The Curragh.

Sorry what can this mean?

Whhhhooooooosssshhhhhhhhhh
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Rodman

Quote from: BluestackBoy on May 02, 2013, 06:20:31 PM

Have Donegal progressed from last year?  Do they have the same hunger? Will their first 15 stay injury free (cause they have nothing on the Bench). Maybe, but my money is on Tyrone.

Where in the name of God did you get the idea that Donegal have nothing on the bench!! During the league when there were up to 6 regulars missing then we were thin on the bench no doubt, but at full strength our bench is just fine. 

By that I mean Donegal's bench is nowhere near as strong as their first 15 and will struggle to replace anyone who gets injured. Your point of having 6 regulars missing during the league actually backs up my point as looked what happened to you without those players. Tyrone's bench is that bit stronger this year and they can make 3 or 4 changes without weakening the team. That can not be said for Donegal.

BennyHarp

Were Donegal not relegated?
That was never a square ball!!

sheamy

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 02, 2013, 08:26:00 PM

Aye, just a tiny bite short of staying up Jim says

J70

Martin McIlhinney and David Walsh both moved seamlessly into the team during most matches last season. Ryan McHugh will be pushing hard for inclusion, even after Lacey resumes his halfback spot. Declan Walsh played well when called upon last season and chipped in with a couple of points in the Ulster final when Down were still well in the game. I thought he was poor last season, but if Christy Toye is fit and sharp, he's a very capable sub. Sure, we can't replace Murphy and Lacey, but who the hell could? First 15 and nothing else is bollocka.

BluestackBoy

Quote from: Rodman on May 02, 2013, 08:21:15 PM

By that I mean Donegal's bench is nowhere near as strong as their first 15 and will struggle to replace anyone who gets injured. Your point of having 6 regulars missing during the league actually backs up my point as looked what happened to you without those players. Tyrone's bench is that bit stronger this year and they can make 3 or 4 changes without weakening the team. That can not be said for Donegal.

The quote you used was that Donegal have "nothing on the bench". If you meant something else, then say something else.
Of course Donegal's bench is not as strong as the first 15. If it was they would be on the team, but players like Christy Toye, David Walsh,  Dermot Molloy & Martin McElhinney featured in just about every game last year. The only reason they are not better known is that Donegal went through the whole campaign with virtually no injuries so they never got a chance to play 70 mins.

J70

Quote from: sheamy on May 02, 2013, 08:29:30 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on May 02, 2013, 08:26:00 PM

Aye, just a tiny bite short of staying up Jim says

:D

BennyHarp

Quote from: BluestackBoy on May 02, 2013, 09:21:17 PM

The quote you used was that Donegal have "nothing on the bench". If you meant something else, then say something else.
Of course Donegal's bench is not as strong as the first 15. If it was they would be on the team, but players like Christy Toye, David Walsh,  Dermot Molloy & Martin McElhinney featured in just about every game last year. The only reason they are not better known is that Donegal went through the whole campaign with virtually no injuries so they never got a chance to play 70 mins.

And when these players got their chance in the league - they were relegated! So are you saying that they weren't really trying in the league? Surely they'd have been breaking their balls to break onto the starting 15? Or are they just not good enough? In which case it's a fair assessment to question the quality of the Donegal bench!

BluestackBoy

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 02, 2013, 09:30:41 PM

And when these players got their chance in the league - they were relegated! So are you saying that they weren't really trying in the league? Surely they'd have been breaking their balls to break onto the starting 15? Or are they just not good enough? In which case it's a fair assessment to question the quality of the Donegal bench!

Fair enough Donegal were relegated but the division was so tight that at one point in the second half Donegal were only two points short of being in a semi final place. Nobody outclassed them & in the end the Donegal scoring difference was 0 wheras Kildare who qualified for the semis had a scoring difference of -8. Dublin apart there wasn't much between the other teams in Division 1

Rodman

I though the quote "they have nothing on the bench" is quite self explanatory. I hardly meant that they don't have any physical subs on the bench. 

BluestackBoy

Quote from: Rodman on May 02, 2013, 09:46:09 PM

I though the quote "they have nothing on the bench" is quite self explanatory. I hardly meant that they don't have any physical subs on the bench.
I take it to mean that the subs are useless. They are far from it.

BennyHarp

Quote from: BluestackBoy on May 02, 2013, 09:39:53 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on May 02, 2013, 09:30:41 PM

Fair enough Donegal were relegated but the division was so tight that at one point in the second half Donegal were only two points short of being in a semi final place. Nobody outclassed them & in the end the Donegal scoring difference was 0 wheras Kildare who qualified for the semis had a scoring difference of -8. Dublin apart there wasn't much between the other teams in Division 1

But Kildare had 8 points and Donegal had 5?

ONeill

What will be interesting to see is how McGuinness can turn his boys (in 2013) from a relegation outfit and seemingly lethargic in the league to a team at Championship speed in a month and a half. If they were meeting a lesser light they could get away with it but Tyrone should rattle their cage.

It wouldn't surprise me if we see Donegal bare their teeth like never before.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

J70

Quote from: ONeill on May 02, 2013, 10:18:52 PM
What will be interesting to see is how McGuinness can turn his boys (in 2013) from a relegation outfit and seemingly lethargic in the league to a team at Championship speed in a month and a half. If they were meeting a lesser light they could get away with it but Tyrone should rattle their cage.

It wouldn't surprise me if we see Donegal bare their teeth like never before.

He did it last year, although Derry and Cavan obviously weren't quite at the same level in terms of opposition as yourselves will presumably be.

Will and hunger may be a bit harder to find this time though.