Donegal v Tyrone Ulster Championship

Started by give her dixie, October 04, 2012, 08:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

there 3 big questions over donegal this year. Has the Celtic gig softened up mc Guinness and the hunger ain't there . How far have they slipped behind Dublin? What's the tourist season going to be like?

EC Unique

Quote from: Rodman on May 01, 2013, 09:52:56 PM
Tyrone team that lined out against Donegal last year was: P McConnell, A McCrory, C Clarke, D Carlin, R McMenamin, C Gormley, Sean O'Neill, J McMahon, C Cavanagh, Mattie Donnelly, Mark Donnelly, P Harte, M Penrose, Stephen O'Neill, O Mulligan

God knows what team Mickey will line out but will be at least 6 changes from that team.( and probably 6 changes for the better) Donegal should have pretty much the same team out again this year. Tyrone were close last year, add in Sean Cavanagh, Niall Morgan, mcaliskey and an on-form SON with the option of springing Mccurry, R O'Neill and Coney from the bench in the 2nd half for a bit of extra fire power then things look allot better for us this year. Have Donegal progressed from last year?  Do they have the same hunger? Will their first 15 stay injury free (cause they have nothing on the Bench). Maybe, but my money is on Tyrone.

In my opinion they progressed in every game last year. They were a better team in August/September than they were when we played them. 

Tyrone by 4 ;)

donegal lad

Quote from: FarneyMan on May 01, 2013, 03:12:51 PM
Anyone know if tickets to this are available through Supervalu shops nationwide?
I know the stores in donegal have tickets for sale tomorrow but they expected to sell out very quick. All tickets available online have been sold already

ONeill

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 01, 2013, 10:00:18 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 01, 2013, 09:54:02 PM
Any sign of Muggsy?

Was talking to a clubmate of his on Sunday and reckons he'll be focusing exclusively on the club this coming year.

Sorry to hear that. I was hoping Harte had given him time off to rest after the club All-Ireland.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Jinxy

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 01, 2013, 10:00:18 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 01, 2013, 09:54:02 PM
Any sign of Muggsy?

Was talking to a clubmate of his on Sunday and reckons he'll be focusing exclusively on the club this coming year.

That sounds like he has some choice in the matter though.
Does he?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Jinxy on May 01, 2013, 11:55:34 PM
That sounds like he has some choice in the matter though.
Does he?

That's what I gathered from the clubmate, who also said that he's doing what he can to can to help the County set-up (with in-house games, etc.).
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

drici

Tyrone footballers to continue RTÉ boycott
http://maggieblanck.com/Mayopages/Boycott.html

Tyrone's footballers will boycott RTÉ for the third Championship in succession this summer.

At last night's Ulster SFC launch in Belfast, manager Mickey Harte confirmed there had been no change in the panel's attitude to the national broadcaster.

Tyrone's refusal to grant interviews to RTÉ stems back to a John Murray Show sketch in 2011, which the county set-up felt was insensitive to Harte and his family following the tragic death of his daughter Michaela.

RTÉ will broadcast Tyrone's much-anticipated Ulster quarter-final clash with Donegal in Ballybofey's MacCumhaill Park on May 26, but Harte said there had been no change in Tyrone's stance.

Asked if their position remained the same, he said: "Yep, that's right. No further answer required."

Harte had called for the game in just over three weeks to be played in the bigger capacity stadium in Clones to accommodate the amount of people keen to attend it.

"I just said for the sake of the number of people who wanted to watch the game, Clones would have been the better venue but Donegal had the call on it, they were drawn out first so they had the right to look for it and obviously the Ulster Council awarded it to them.

"I've no complaints about that at all. I'm just saying it will be difficult for all those who want to get to the game in Ballybofey and that's probably unfortunate but we can't change that now.

"The idea that there is a limit on the people that can get in there makes more people want to go to it. It's a double-edged sword, isn't it?"

The Ulster Council yesterday sold 1,000 tickets for the game within 30 minutes with the game certain to be a sell-out.

Harte said he won't use Donegal's home advantage as an excuse should Tyrone lose but maintained the game would likely have been better served by being staged in St Tiernach's Park.

He believes the approximate 35,000 capacity in Monaghan would have been filled by the derby which is normally run at The Curragh.

"It's going to have an atmosphere all of its own (in Ballybofey). It'll be really intense and it's good to see a ground full to the neck as they say.

"But I would like to have been in Clones with 33,000 instead of the 18,000 or whatever in Ballybofey."

Fuzzman

Hard to believe its only 3 weeks away. I'd say Jimmy's more than happy with lying low in the long grass and watching the Tyrone league show going on for all the country to see.
As we know Jimmy's a great thinker and motivator and he'll have no doubt loads to say about how the media don't believe they've got a back to back AI in them. They thought the same about Ulster last year and they won't that handy enough.
The Tyrone team/squad has changed a lot since last year hopefully for the better but the big question is how many of the new guys will be able for the Donegal war of attrition.

I must say its a strange feeling going into a new season talking about our new keeper as being exciting and an important source of scores. I will imagine he'll get a lot of jeers from the Donegal fans every time he makes the jog up to take any frees. Will that pressure tell. If he misses a few at the start will he be able to keep his head. Form so far would suggest so.
After Sunday's game I was delighted to see McAliskey rise to the occasion. I would be delighted to see him and Coney in the corners with a fit again SoN in the middle and for us to play them there the whole game. Easier said than done against teams like Donegal I know.

I just hope we don't get any more injuries or suspensions in the upcoming weeks? Are county players playing league games in the next few weeks?

RMDrive

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 02, 2013, 10:58:56 AM
Hard to believe its only 3 weeks away. I'd say Jimmy's more than happy with lying low in the long grass and watching the Tyrone league show going on for all the country to see.
As we know Jimmy's a great thinker and motivator and he'll have no doubt loads to say about how the media don't believe they've got a back to back AI in them. They thought the same about Ulster last year and they won't that handy enough.
The Tyrone team/squad has changed a lot since last year hopefully for the better but the big question is how many of the new guys will be able for the Donegal war of attrition.

I must say its a strange feeling going into a new season talking about our new keeper as being exciting and an important source of scores. I will imagine he'll get a lot of jeers from the Donegal fans every time he makes the jog up to take any frees. Will that pressure tell. If he misses a few at the start will he be able to keep his head. Form so far would suggest so.
After Sunday's game I was delighted to see McAliskey rise to the occasion. I would be delighted to see him and Coney in the corners with a fit again SoN in the middle and for us to play them there the whole game. Easier said than done against teams like Donegal I know.

I just hope we don't get any more injuries or suspensions in the upcoming weeks? Are county players playing league games in the next few weeks?

If he does it will probably be because of his antics in the league game.

nrico2006

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 02, 2013, 10:58:56 AM

I would hope that the like of Coney and McAliskey/McCurry would start in the corners.  Don't think Penrose is justifying his selection.  Peter Harte will hopefully benefit from his rest and get back to his early to mid 2012 form.  A lot of what he does goes unnoticed though, and even with the stick he has been getting of late he is heavily involved in a lot of Tyrone scores. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

orangeman

Donegal 8-13

Tyrone 7-4

Fair enough prices ?

Zulu

Jesus I thought that was your predicted score, looking at first on my phone!!!

rrhf

Quote from: drici on May 02, 2013, 10:49:36 AM
Tyrone footballers to continue RTÉ boycott
http://maggieblanck.com/Mayopages/Boycott.html
He believes the approximate 35,000 capacity in Monaghan would have been filled by the derby which is normally run at The Curragh.

Sorry what can this mean?

Fuzzman

Yeah I saw that earlier. Presume its a typo.

It's not like Mickey to be harping on about stuff like this but maybe he's just playing mind games with Jimmy, saying they are scared of us.
Hopefully its not like the Tyrone v Derry match in 2006 when they came to our back yard for a foul festival.

orangeman

Quote from: Zulu on May 02, 2013, 03:39:17 PM
Jesus I thought that was your predicted score, looking at first on my phone!!!

No blanket defences there !  :)