Donegal v Tyrone Ulster Championship

Started by give her dixie, October 04, 2012, 08:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: Jinxy on May 01, 2013, 01:31:12 PM
What's Niall Morgans upper range limit for frees?
He looked pretty comfortable at 55 metres.

We will need to be very disciplined in the tackle again this year.

omagh_gael

Quote from: J70 on May 01, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Don't think it's a big stretch to say we would have beaten Donegal both years if Morgan was playing. Definitely would have made a significant difference in 2011 when Petey Harte had a nightmare from the frees. Almost a novelty to have that option now, there have been so many instances over the last number of years where a lack of a reliable free taker has cost us close games.

J70

Quote from: omagh_gael on May 01, 2013, 01:46:55 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 01, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Don't think it's a big stretch to say we would have beaten Donegal both years if Morgan was playing. Definitely would have made a significant difference in 2011 when Petey Harte had a nightmare from the frees. Almost a novelty to have that option now, there have been so many instances over the last number of years where a lack of a reliable free taker has cost us close games.

Last year, no. Joe McMahon was hitting frees well that day. You just didn't get many.
2011 was a different story and Harte's poor form in the second half was a big factor in the game.

EC Unique

Yep Morgan is some find. His free taking ability is worth his weight in gold but he also seems a great shot stopper and his distribution is excellent. He could be the difference in close games from now on.

Jinxy

I'd say in a few years every team will use their keeper for long range frees.
It makes perfect sense and I dunno why traditionalists find the notion so unsettling.
What difference does it make who puts the ball over the bar?
They might bring in a rule though to prohibit keepers kicking anything inside the 45m line.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

rrhf

Cluxton looks to be shite at penalties, which is a major drawback to his game.  Who the hell would Dublin get to take penalties, Dean friggin Rock, sure is he even from a footballing background?

FarneyMan

Anyone know if tickets to this are available through Supervalu shops nationwide?

Jinxy

omagh_gael

You asked earlier what Morgan's maximum range is Jinxy. I haven't seen him hit one further than the effort in the second half on Sunday. Don't think he'd have the range that Brian Sheehan has. Although I haven't seen him much in club football.

Would I be right in thinking the Ballybofey pitch is right and tight, always seems that way when iv been there. Couldn't find any dimensions for it through Google.

Jinxy

Quote from: omagh_gael on May 01, 2013, 03:52:36 PM
You asked earlier what Morgan's maximum range is Jinxy. I haven't seen him hit one further than the effort in the second half on Sunday. Don't think he'd have the range that Brian Sheehan has. Although I haven't seen him much in club football.

Would I be right in thinking the Ballybofey pitch is right and tight, always seems that way when iv been there. Couldn't find any dimensions for it through Google.

That's what I was wondering.
If he had a breeze behind him he could do 60m I'd say.

trileacman

Quote from: Jinxy on May 01, 2013, 04:13:34 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on May 01, 2013, 03:52:36 PM

That's what I was wondering.
If he had a breeze behind him he could do 60m I'd say.

Had a shite day with the boot one day in the league, was missing ones from around the '45. I wouldn't be building him up to much yet. Anyone remember that? Was it the Cork or Kerry match?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

RMDrive

So who got in on the tickets .ie release this evening? All of the 1000 tickets that they had sold out in 30 minutes apparently  :o

Rodman

Tyrone team that lined out against Donegal last year was: P McConnell, A McCrory, C Clarke, D Carlin, R McMenamin, C Gormley, Sean O'Neill, J McMahon, C Cavanagh, Mattie Donnelly, Mark Donnelly, P Harte, M Penrose, Stephen O'Neill, O Mulligan

God knows what team Mickey will line out but will be at least 6 changes from that team.( and probably 6 changes for the better) Donegal should have pretty much the same team out again this year. Tyrone were close last year, add in Sean Cavanagh, Niall Morgan, mcaliskey and an on-form SON with the option of springing Mccurry, R O'Neill and Coney from the bench in the 2nd half for a bit of extra fire power then things look allot better for us this year.  Have Donegal progressed from last year?  Do they have the same hunger? Will their first 15 stay injury free (cause they have nothing on the Bench). Maybe, but my money is on Tyrone.

Jinxy

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Jinxy on May 01, 2013, 09:54:02 PM
Any sign of Muggsy?

Was talking to a clubmate of his on Sunday and reckons he'll be focusing exclusively on the club this coming year.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...