Ulster Intermediate + Junior Football Club Championships 2012

Started by DownFanatic, September 08, 2012, 05:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

Quote from: Take Your Points on November 04, 2012, 10:43:24 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on November 04, 2012, 09:17:17 PM
.......... but we all know if your picked to play by a teacher then you can't say no.

Only in a time long past.  In colleges' football the club always comes first and schools work around county underage competitions which are arranged in a parallel universe to the one where the colleges authorities exist and arrange their fixtures. As usual the children suffer.

St Paul's were playing a team which had quite a few players withdrawn by club teams playing on Saturday and Sunday and didn't want to play until next week when all were available.

Enda gormley withdrew his glen minors from st. Pats maghera this year during mcroary games when they were competing in ulster minor cship.

DownFanatic

Quote from: AFS on November 04, 2012, 06:23:13 PM
Was at the Morgan Athletic Grounds today.

The Junior game was poor enough stuff, only twelve scores altogether and only four in the second half. Thought Port Mor were much the better team, but failed to pull away because of some dodgy decision making when in possession. Things like loads of hugely ambitious 40 yard balls when a simple handpass overlap was on, or half a dozen wee handpasses around midfield when they had free men screaming for the ball on the wing. I'd imagine they'll need to improve considerably if they want to go further. Dundrum were awful. The ref was crap too.

The Intermediate game was slightly less awful. No doubt the better team won. Killeavy were very disappointing, with only O'Hanlon looking like any sort of threat to the Cookstown backline. Hindsight and all that, but he probably should have started. If he was fit enough to play 45 minutes, then he could have coped with the full 60. He may have grabbed a score or two in the first 15 and knocked some of Cookstown's early momentum. Thought Michael Murphy also battled well for such a young lad, another one to keep an eye on over the next few years. Other than that Killeavy were poor. Cookstown were streetwise and better organised. The big guy Gilmore caused Killeavy a lot of grief. Their support was hard listened to though, a rare bunch. Woeful nicknames too - Boco, Pixie - ffs.

As a Dundrum man I have to admit that we were very poor today. Id say that is probably the worst that we have played all year. We went into that game after winning 24 matches in a row and going unbeaten in Down all year. It essentially amounted to diddly squat as we were beaten by a better An Port Mor team on the day.

As alluded to earlier in the week, football at Junior level in Down is keek. We were never challenged all year. An Port Mor were physically too strong for us and probably should have won by more. We are reverting to three divisions next year. Hopefully our county can improve its Ulster JFC record as a result of these changes.

Sleater

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 04, 2012, 07:07:08 PM
Doohamlet looked a good side today against Lacken. Dominated from the start, Colin Walshe was impressive at centre back. They had a  player sent off in the first half but still led at half time 1-5 to 1 goal. They also missed a penalty. They had 7 players booked in the second half,

I thought they way it was going they would have a few more sent off in the second but it was Lacken who did, 3 players from Lacken sent off in the second half. Finished 11pts to 1-4. Ballybay is quite an unusual ground.

Ballybay is an odd ground for sure! It's a good quality pitch , but access in and out leaves people bemused. I was at Clones for the double header so can't comment on their performance. However I'm not surprised they had a man sent off and so many booked as they are a team that play on the edge and have a lousy disciplinary record. Colin Walshe is a future Monaghan captain in my opinion, an outstanding player and leader.

Rodney, how do you rate Doohamlet's chances against Cookstown?

Sleater

Drumhowan were lucky to beat Downings. I'd of made Drumhowan favourities to win the JFC competition due to them winning it a few years ago, but I think some Drumhowan lads must have thought all they had to do was turn up and win. Downings competed very well but lacked inspiration and Drumhowan showed some character to claw back a 4 point deficit at HT to edge out the win. I still think they'll beat An Port Mor but they'll want to improve greatly if they have aspirations of winning it out.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Sleater on November 05, 2012, 09:36:39 AM
Quote from: rodney trotter on November 04, 2012, 07:07:08 PM
Doohamlet looked a good side today against Lacken. Dominated from the start, Colin Walshe was impressive at centre back. They had a  player sent off in the first half but still led at half time 1-5 to 1 goal. They also missed a penalty. They had 7 players booked in the second half,

I thought they way it was going they would have a few more sent off in the second but it was Lacken who did, 3 players from Lacken sent off in the second half. Finished 11pts to 1-4. Ballybay is quite an unusual ground.

Ballybay is an odd ground for sure! It's a good quality pitch , but access in and out leaves people bemused. I was at Clones for the double header so can't comment on their performance. However I'm not surprised they had a man sent off and so many booked as they are a team that play on the edge and have a lousy disciplinary record. Colin Walshe is a future Monaghan captain in my opinion, an outstanding player and leader.

Rodney, how do you rate Doohamlet's chances against Cookstown?

I'd give them a good chance. They had their tactics done on Lacken, Ray Galliagn was well marked and Niall McKieirnan when he switched to ff, They were aware of the high ball ball tactics Lacken would usually play.

They have a solid defence and midfield, maybe lack a bit of class in the fowards. The Centre forward was decent but not in the Eoin Mulligan class. I remember the 2009 ulster final against Lavey and Raymie Mulgrew ran the show, he is in Oz now afaik. Cookstown half back line was very impressive that day too.

Give them a good chance though, if they play with the same hunger as yesterday.

Sleater

Quote from: Sleater on November 04, 2012, 05:05:50 PM
IFC semi finals

Warrenpoint v Aghagallon / Termon/ Aodh Ruadh
Doohamlet v Cookstown

JFC

Drumhowan v An Port Mor
Laragh  v Brackaville

Warrenpoint v Aghagallon / Termon

Termon won Donegal last night. They line out against Aghagallon this weekend. Have to tip Aghagallon to win.
Warrenpoint have a great chance of getting to the final. Slamming 5 goals past Teemore was impressive.

yellowcard

Quote from: Sleater on November 08, 2012, 12:32:23 PM
Quote from: Sleater on November 04, 2012, 05:05:50 PM
IFC semi finals

Warrenpoint v Aghagallon / Termon/ Aodh Ruadh
Doohamlet v Cookstown

JFC

Drumhowan v An Port Mor
Laragh  v Brackaville

Warrenpoint v Aghagallon / Termon

Termon won Donegal last night. They line out against Aghagallon this weekend. Have to tip Aghagallon to win.
Warrenpoint have a great chance of getting to the final. Slamming 5 goals past Teemore was impressive.

Ordinarily would fancy Termon to get to the Ulster final but a tough fixture schedule could leave them susceptible to a defeat against Aghagallon on Sunday. Could well leave the door open for QWarrenpoint to get to the final. Either way I think the real Ulster final will be the game between Cookstown and Doohamlet. Would expect Cookstown to win it though.

youcanthandlethetruth

A lot of talk about this Doohamlet team and their main player Colin Walsh Can anyone inform me of their strengths and their chances against a more formidable opponent Cookstown

rodney trotter

Quote from: youcanthandlethetruth on November 08, 2012, 06:39:59 PM
A lot of talk about this Doohamlet team and their main player Colin Walsh Can anyone inform me of their strengths and their chances against a more formidable opponent Cookstown

Yeah they are amazing.

Sportacus

anportmorforjfc

Date: Sunday 18th Nov 2012

Ulster Club Junior Football Championship 2012

Semi Final

12 30 PM

Clones

Laragh Utd

---

v

Brackaville Owen Roes

---

Martin McNally

Ulster Club Intermediate Football Championship 2012

Semi Final

12 45 PM

Athletic Grounds

St Mary's Aghagallon

---

v

Warrenpoint

---

Eamon Mc Hugh

Ulster Club Junior Football Championship 2012

Semi Final

12 45 PM

Brewster Park

Drumhowan

---

v

An Port Mór

---

Robert O Donnell

Ulster Club Intermediate Football Championship 2012

Semi Final

2 30 PM

Brewster Park

Cookstown Fr Rocks

---

v

Doohamlet

---

Noel Mooney

anportmorforjfc

An Portmor 1-10 Drumhowan 0-7

About 20 minutes to go, we are down to 14.

dundrumite

We aren't as bad as I was thinking a fortnight ago. How did Cookstown Doohamlet go?

yellowcard

Quote from: dundrumite on November 18, 2012, 06:28:20 PM
We aren't as bad as I was thinking a fortnight ago. How did Cookstown Doohamlet go?

Cookstown won, play Warrenpoint in the final.