Dublin v Mayo - AISF

Started by Jinxy, August 04, 2012, 08:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Andy had his op on Monday. Good luck to him in his recovery and all going well we'll see him back on the playing fields next year.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on August 21, 2012, 10:50:00 PM
Andy had his op on Monday. Good luck to him in his recovery and all going well we'll see him back on the playing fields next year.

That s the most important thing. I ve been a bit annoyed about stuff about replacing Andy Moran. We can t. We do something else but it wont be as good. Andy was the perfect balance to the running game we play. It was like plan A and B working at the same time. We never had this before.

Saw Andy play back in The Park playin for Ballagh a week or so before that injury. I ve seen Andy playing since he was a kid of 15/16 and he developed all the time. Back in The Park Andy stood out as a player in a different zone - confidence high, knows what he s at, dictates the game as he chooses. I saw very few others do that  - likes of Seán Lowry and Peter Hughes.

The show goes on but I really hope Andy Moran can get back to where he was before this happened.

RogerMilla

best of luck to andy , a brilliant recovery from his broken leg so no doubt he will do the same again with this injury and line out for us next year again.

ballinaman

Andy will do well with the rehab, he'll be back 100%.

From the Bunker

+1

seanog

Quote from: moysider on August 21, 2012, 11:52:34 PM

That s the most important thing. I ve been a bit annoyed about stuff about replacing Andy Moran. We can t. We do something else but it wont be as good. Andy was the perfect balance to the running game we play. It was like plan A and B working at the same time. We never had this before.

Saw Andy play back in The Park playin for Ballagh a week or so before that injury. I ve seen Andy playing since he was a kid of 15/16 and he developed all the time. Back in The Park Andy stood out as a player in a different zone - confidence high, knows what he s at, dictates the game as he chooses. I saw very few others do that  - likes of Seán Lowry and Peter Hughes.

The show goes on but I really hope Andy Moran can get back to where he was before this happened.

You've been a bit annoyed, aragh god love ya.  Andy had a great year last year, was having a good year this year, i actually didn't think he was that mighty against Sligo if i'm honest . Years previous to this he was hot and cold and even went missing in tight games down the years, Tyrone 08, Galway 09, Meath 09, never took them games by the scruff. My point is people are all rushing in to put Andy in this legendary category , personally i don't think he has done enough yet to warrant such an accolade.

Back to the game. Our defenders are facing the biggest test of the year obviously , are they as good as we think they are or will we revert to type against natural scoring forwards as we do traditionally against Kerry , Gooch destroyed us last year, we tend to gloss over the Kerry game for the same weak minded reasons that destroy our mental toughness.

This is a massive game, lose and realistically it could set Mayo back a couple of years or more to the point it will be a realisation that we are simply not good enough to push on . 

Midfield should win their fair share of ball , can't fault bm so far, two motm performances out of three, could of even got it v Down too, AOS should be heading into full fitness by now , i think we could win the battle around the middle at least 60/40, which is always a good start to winning a game.

Our forward line is not a big a weakness as people are making out in the main, Dillon and Mgloughlin have played mighty so far and are two fine footballers . I understand the big worry about our last line and one just has to hope whoever starts there the next day, steps up and plays out of their skins. I'd still fancy Conroy to tap over a few, Doc has just not performed but it is in him, has to hit the net to justify his place in a way. Big game in COC this time out. 

Is SOS fit to play?

Farrandeelin

Perhaps seanog, that's because James Horan has gotten the right usage out of Andy Moran? I think that could well be the case anyway.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ross matt

I think Andy Moran was always a good footballer. I think in recent years he's become an even better one. Maybe some of it is down to James Horan but surely alot of it is down to the lad himself? To me he seems like a player that has worked very hard on his own on both his game and his athleticism. Become physically stronger as the years have gone by. Improved skill on winning and turning with the ball etc. More than anything else he has developed his leadership skills.

That's why Moysider is correct in saying he can't be replaced. He is quite unique. It's not to say Mayo wont bring in a replacement that will do well but it will be in a different role. Anyway best of luck to Andy in his recovery and to Mayo on Sunday.

seafoid

There are plenty of instances of teams missing marquee names and succeeding.
Mayo are more than just Andy Moran, surely.   

diehard

Good luck to Andy.  I hope the surgery and the rehab goes well for him.  He is a great footballer and a thorough gentleman into the bargain. Looking forward to having him back in a Mayo jersey.

kevmy

Quote from: ross matt on August 22, 2012, 04:24:56 PM
I think Andy Moran was always a good footballer. I think in recent years he's become an even better one. Maybe some of it is down to James Horan but surely alot of it is down to the lad himself? To me he seems like a player that has worked very hard on his own on both his game and his athleticism. Become physically stronger as the years have gone by. Improved skill on winning and turning with the ball etc. More than anything else he has developed his leadership skills.

That's why Moysider is correct in saying he can't be replaced. He is quite unique. It's not to say Mayo wont bring in a replacement that will do well but it will be in a different role. Anyway best of luck to Andy in his recovery and to Mayo on Sunday.

Apparently Andy puts quite a bit of his physical improvement down to doing less weights which makes him a bit more nimble and quicker over a few yards. The way Andy wins ball is by getting ahead of his man, judging the flight of the ball and then using his strength to hold his marker off. If he can't get ahead of his man he won't win too much ball.

He could always kick scores and was usually a player to demand the ball. I'll agree his leadership skills have also come on - but this often happens naturally as players get older.

imtommygunn

He was one of the best sigerson players I ever saw. I watched him against jordanstown one day and he was marking a good tyrone defender who he tore to bits. (Can't mind but may have been McCaul).

I was always surprised he wasn't better for Mayo until last year when he improved massively.

moysider

Quote from: seafoid on August 22, 2012, 04:30:14 PM

I ve been trying to think of some but with little success. Throw a few out there until we see.

We re talking about rank outsiders ( last time I looked 7/1) to win and Dublin strong favourites to win the semi.

This is not like comparing us to KK without Henry Shefflin or something.

Rossfan

Quote from: diehard on August 22, 2012, 10:39:04 PM
Good luck to Andy.  I hope the surgery and the rehab goes well for him.  He is a great footballer and a thorough gentleman into the bargain.
What else would you expect from a Roscommon man and a Ros supporter? ;)
Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery .
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Halfquarter

Quote from: moysider on August 23, 2012, 12:51:15 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 22, 2012, 04:30:14 PM

I ve been trying to think of some but with little success. Throw a few out there until we see.

We re talking about rank outsiders ( last time I looked 7/1) to win and Dublin strong favourites to win the semi.

This is not like comparing us to KK without Henry Shefflin or something.

7/1 sounds like a mad price,Mayo cannot be that far behind Dublin ?