More Thuggery on the GAA field

Started by agorm, January 23, 2012, 06:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

It's like a child trying to get the last spake in an argument.

The more you tell them they're wrong, the more they insist they're right.

oakleafgael

Quote from: orangeman on March 17, 2012, 10:27:04 PM
It's like a child trying to get the last spake in an argument.

The mor you tell them they're wrong, the more they insist they're right.

Or a wife.

timmyot501

I think it just would have been easier to pay the 5K at the start.  Its all a mess now and becoming a joke. 

orangeman

Quote from: timmyot501 on March 17, 2012, 11:09:18 PM
I think it just would have been easier to pay the 5K at the start.  Its all a mess now and becoming a joke.

They're making it up as they go along -  they're talking about points deductions now -

Time to rewrite the rule book once and for all. End all this bullshit of appeals.

Maguire01

Monaghan have lodged another appeal - hearing tomorrow.

cavanlad

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 20, 2012, 09:43:56 PM

lets hope they lose the appeal to the CAC and the DRA, Monaghan don't want the GAA to do anything to then, Armagh & Kildare were fined and payed €5000, Cork played away to Laois.

Why don't they just pay the fine at the start, people want mean less appeals out, but Monaghan thick otherwise.

The DRA put them hearing up on the web; http://sportsdra.ie/dradecisions.htm; Monaghan accept the charge but will not accept the fine??

The DRA state in the ruling that the following actions may be issued;

a)   Cautions, reprimands or written warnings that may remain on file as endorsements of disciplinary record;
b)   Fines;
c)   Match day restrictions of the kind used by the CHC in a decision of 22 January 2012 against Doire Treasc at this year's All Ireland Junior Club Championship final; 
d)   Next home match to be played behind "closed doors" i.e., attendance restricted to, for instance, immediate team personnel, those required for health and safety purposes at the venue and media;
e)   Next home match to be played at a nominated or neutral venue selected by the CCCC;
f)   Annulment of the result of a match and order that it be replayed at a neutral venue and/or behind closed doors at a venue selected by the CCCC;
g)   Deduction of one league point; or 
h)   Combinations of the above including suspended sanctions may be considered. In the case of suspended sanction, the probationary period would typically be a minimum of one year and a maximum of five though it could be extended in exceptional circumstances. If a further offence is committed during the probationary period, the CHC, as a rule, would then order the original sanction to be executed. This may be added to the disciplinary sanction imposed for the second offence.

Ask yourself is it fair that Kildare (who the game was against) Armagh and Cork was fined or played away or just let Monaghan off with it.
Monaghan are fighting to stay in Div.2, but the Co Board and manger are willy fighting the GAA ruling. The GAA cannot keep them up.
My ignore list - Richiej

Maguire01

If other teams don't want to challenge, that's up to them. And as far as I know, Kildare and Armagh had planned to appeal until they saw what happened to Monaghan, so let's not pretend they gladly accepted their penalty.

Quote from: cavanlad on March 20, 2012, 10:07:24 PM
Why don't they just pay the fine at the start, people want mean less appeals out, but Monaghan thick otherwise.
What does that even mean?

Maguire01

Quote from: cavanlad on March 20, 2012, 10:07:24 PM
The DRA put them hearing up on the web; http://sportsdra.ie/dradecisions.htm; Monaghan accept the charge but will not accept the fine??

The DRA state in the ruling that the following actions may be issued;

a)   Cautions, reprimands or written warnings that may remain on file as endorsements of disciplinary record;
b)   Fines;
c)   Match day restrictions of the kind used by the CHC in a decision of 22 January 2012 against Doire Treasc at this year's All Ireland Junior Club Championship final; 
d)   Next home match to be played behind "closed doors" i.e., attendance restricted to, for instance, immediate team personnel, those required for health and safety purposes at the venue and media;
e)   Next home match to be played at a nominated or neutral venue selected by the CCCC;
f)   Annulment of the result of a match and order that it be replayed at a neutral venue and/or behind closed doors at a venue selected by the CCCC;
g)   Deduction of one league point; or 
h)   Combinations of the above including suspended sanctions may be considered. In the case of suspended sanction, the probationary period would typically be a minimum of one year and a maximum of five though it could be extended in exceptional circumstances. If a further offence is committed during the probationary period, the CHC, as a rule, would then order the original sanction to be executed. This may be added to the disciplinary sanction imposed for the second offence.
You obviously read that link selectively. It's clear why Monaghan won the first appeal (and why Cork would also have won an appeal). It should also be clear as to why they accept the charge and not the penalty - you don't need to ask the question, the answer's in the report.

orangeman

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 20, 2012, 09:43:56 PM

Monaghan's Allianz Football League Division 2 Football League match against Galway will go ahead at Pearse Park in Longford this Sunday.

The Monaghan County Board has confirmed they are not taking their case to the Disputes Resolution Authority following a ruling last night which upheld the decision to force the county to play their next home league fixture at a neutral venue.

The Central Appeals Committee upheld the ruling of the Central Hearings Committee to take this Sunday's match away from Iniskeen and move it to Pearse Park in Longford.

Earlier this month, Monaghan were successful in having a previous punishment of loss of home venue quashed by the Disputes Resolution Authority but the case was referred back to the CHC who decided to force Monaghan to play their next home league fixture at a neutral ground.

The punishment comes from the involvement of the Monaghan players in a scuffle in a match against Kildare in Clones last month.

Earlier this month, Monaghan were successful in having a previous punishment of loss of home venue quashed by the Disputes Resolution Authority but the case was referred back to the CHC who decided to force Monaghan to play their next home league fixture at a neutral ground.

The punishment comes from the involvement of the Monaghan players in a scuffle in a match against Kildare in Clones last month.

Main Street

I don't know why the aftermath of this scuffle is in the thuggery thread.
Is this thread not the preserve of Tyrone related thuggery?

rrhf

No thuggery moves around, now the focus is on Monaghan, I wonder is Big Dick covering it too. 

bhgmk

As I understand it the reason Monaghan won at the DRA the first time was just because the CHC had overstepped their brief in deciding where the game should be played - that decision should have rested with the CCCC.  So when the matter went back to CHC they imposed the loss of home advantage but left it to CCCC to fix the venue -  I think it's fairer now because Galway still have to travel and don't gain home advantage either.

Seems to me that fines are payed by the County Board rather than the players. This punishment will affect the players directly, and they'll have to deal with the fall out from disgruntled supporters too - might make them think twice for the next 'scuffle'. 

It's been a long saga, but hopefully that's the end of it.

Maguire01

Quote from: bhgmk on March 23, 2012, 09:47:37 AM
As I understand it the reason Monaghan won at the DRA the first time was just because the CHC had overstepped their brief in deciding where the game should be played - that decision should have rested with the CCCC.  So when the matter went back to CHC they imposed the loss of home advantage but left it to CCCC to fix the venue -  I think it's fairer now because Galway still have to travel and don't gain home advantage either.

Seems to me that fines are payed by the County Board rather than the players. This punishment will affect the players directly, and they'll have to deal with the fall out from disgruntled supporters too - might make them think twice for the next 'scuffle'. 

It's been a long saga, but hopefully that's the end of it.
Well it was well worth Monaghan persuing the first decision - the CHC had no authority to impose an 'away' game.

I still think the current decision is problematic. There's no doubt that this 'neutral' venue gives Galway an advantage every bit as much as it disadvantages Monaghan. A third party benefits for no reason.

I also think that the ruling is disproportionate - the referee's report referred to the incident as a 'scuffle' and action was taken at the time to sanction individual players - 3 yellow cards and 1 red card seems sufficient punishment for a 'scuffle', in my opinion. But as this is a subjective argument, Monaghan were always less likely to win a further appeal.

I also think it would be nice to see a Monaghan season ticket holder take this up with the GAA - tickets were sold on the basis of 3 home league games, not 2. Although I assume there's 'small print' in there somewhere.

ONeill

Quote from: ballinaman on February 09, 2012, 04:26:27 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on February 09, 2012, 04:17:18 PM
There's nothing anatomical in that photo which suggests it is photoshopped. His right arm isn't anywhere I wouldnt expect it to be after throwing a punch.

Declan O'Sullivan must have had his shoulder dislocated so during that punch. Showed it to the rest of the Physio's here and it's anatomically impossible to get your arm in that position after throwing a punch.....Michael Phelps maybe but not DOS. Good effort but wouldn't fool a trained eye to be honest.

Any word on how the physios think tomorrow will go?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Jinxy

Did we ever find out who photo-shopped that picture?
If you were any use you'd be playing.