More Thuggery on the GAA field

Started by agorm, January 23, 2012, 06:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agorm

The time has come for the GAA to come down seriously heavy on clubs and individuals where players, subs and supporters get involved like this. I heard some of the reports from eye witnesses today and it is shocking. Our great sport that many of us give a lot of our spare time to is being blighted by this stuff. In towns anyway there are a lot of people turning away from the GAA - not just because of this type of stuff but other reasons as well.

The CCCC is expected to investigate the ugly scenes that marred yesterday's All-Ireland club JFC semi-final between Derrytresk and Dromid Pearses in Portlaoise.

Tyrone side Derrytresk prevailed on a 1-10 to 0-7 scoreline, but afterwards the main talking points were a first half brawl involving players and mentors which erupted under the O'Moore Park, and a bizarre incident that saw Dromid and Kerry star Declan O'Sullivan struck by a handbag. O'Sullivan isn't expected to press charges against his assailant.

Leitrim referee Francis Flynn issues a total of 11 cards, with Dromid Pearses finishing the game with 13 players following the dismissals of Denis O'Sullivan and Colm O'Connor.

Dromid manager Michael Anthony O'Connell claimed his players were 'provoked' by the opposition.
"I have to hold my hand up and say they were the better team. But I have to say our players were provoked. The tactics they had in beating us, I didn't agree with.

"There's an old trick of the trade where usually you'd bring on a sub to change the game but they brought the sideline on top of us before half-time. I've never before in my life witnessed what I saw there. I'm shocked.

"The linesman said fair play to ye and asked us to try to keep our selectors outside the barrier. He knew where the trouble had started. But that was not good enough."

INDIANA

Quote from: agorm on January 23, 2012, 06:25:39 PM
The time has come for the GAA to come down seriously heavy on clubs and individuals where players, subs and supporters get involved like this. I heard some of the reports from eye witnesses today and it is shocking. Our great sport that many of us give a lot of our spare time to is being blighted by this stuff. In towns anyway there are a lot of people turning away from the GAA - not just because of this type of stuff but other reasons as well.

The CCCC is expected to investigate the ugly scenes that marred yesterday's All-Ireland club JFC semi-final between Derrytresk and Dromid Pearses in Portlaoise.

Tyrone side Derrytresk prevailed on a 1-10 to 0-7 scoreline, but afterwards the main talking points were a first half brawl involving players and mentors which erupted under the O'Moore Park, and a bizarre incident that saw Dromid and Kerry star Declan O'Sullivan struck by a handbag. O'Sullivan isn't expected to press charges against his assailant.

Leitrim referee Francis Flynn issues a total of 11 cards, with Dromid Pearses finishing the game with 13 players following the dismissals of Denis O'Sullivan and Colm O'Connor.

Dromid manager Michael Anthony O'Connell claimed his players were 'provoked' by the opposition.
"I have to hold my hand up and say they were the better team. But I have to say our players were provoked. The tactics they had in beating us, I didn't agree with.

"There's an old trick of the trade where usually you'd bring on a sub to change the game but they brought the sideline on top of us before half-time. I've never before in my life witnessed what I saw there. I'm shocked.

"The linesman said fair play to ye and asked us to try to keep our selectors outside the barrier. He knew where the trouble had started. But that was not good enough."

We could open up an almanac of trouble involving tyrone club football teams at this stage.

GalwayBayBoy

Didn't look great on the telly alright. It was like the charge of the light brigade with all the Derrytresk subs and officials piling over the hoardings to get involved. One of the Dromid players looked like he got an awful clout.

Whishtup

After watching the video, my suspicions have been confirmed. Storm in a teacup-seen better brawls at a kid's game.  Disgraceful decisions by Dromid players to go lashing out at Derrytresk staff to start things off.  The fellas in vizzies looked to be trying to break things up before the Dromid No. 5 came in, flaking all round him-then the Hill subs couldn't contain themselves, which is a pity.  If I were Dromid-I'd leave it go, they were beaten fair and square, get over it.

ONeill

That's the truth of it. Lasted about 20 seconds.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Whishtup on January 23, 2012, 07:58:16 PM
After watching the video, my suspicions have been confirmed. Storm in a teacup-seen better brawls at a kid's game.  Disgraceful decisions by Dromid players to go lashing out at Derrytresk staff to start things off. 

Some selective viewing there.

The Dromid player that was lying on the ground (number 9) has concussion apparently so unless he knocked himself out I assume he got a belt off someone. It also looked like the Derrytresk official with the clipboard had a go at the Dromid number 4 first which kicked it all off.

ONeill

Really? So that Derrytresk lad lying on the ground was picking daisies?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

fitzroyalty

Answer me this, who'd win in a fight between Derrytresk, Carrickmore and Dromore?

Whishtup

That official looked to run towards the player who had been pole-axed-dromid player tripped over him, then gets up flailing-that's pretty clear and unacceptable for any player.  The official was quite restrained, considering the two attacks launced at him.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Whishtup on January 23, 2012, 08:15:09 PM
That official looked to run towards the player who had been pole-axed-dromid player tripped over him, then gets up flailing-that's pretty clear and unacceptable for any player.  The official was quite restrained, considering the two attacks launced at him.

Are you serious?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Whishtup on January 23, 2012, 08:15:09 PM

Come off it. He was quite clearly having a go at the Dromid player. From behind too. Dromid player swung round to have a go back at him. Then it all kicked off.

Whishtup

What constitutes having a go?  Talking, running towards?  Fronting up?  He definitely wasn't swinging his arms.  Do you agree?

Orangemac

Whatever about who started it and there were plenty of people on Whineline with Joe Duffy today with opinions (some of whom were not even at the game) on it, the GAA needs to take a stand on this.

Any club whose supporters or substitutes are involved in any kind of on field assault should automatically be banned from competiton for a year.This piecemeal banning supporters is a waste of time. There has to be some kind of marker laiid down.

Every club will circle the wagons when this happens but the GAA needs to come up with some kind of answer for this instead of worrying about managers getting paid.

Whishtup

If that's the case, then the same should prevail for players who step out over the white line to assault officials, which in itself is an extemely inflammatory offence, the consequences of which cannot be predicted.  That's why, if I were from Dromid Pearse's, I wouldn't be rushing to the disciplinary bodies.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 23, 2012, 08:06:22 PM
Quote from: Whishtup on January 23, 2012, 07:58:16 PM
After watching the video, my suspicions have been confirmed. Storm in a teacup-seen better brawls at a kid's game.  Disgraceful decisions by Dromid players to go lashing out at Derrytresk staff to start things off. 

Some selective viewing there.

The Dromid player that was lying on the ground (number 9) has concussion apparently so unless he knocked himself out I assume he got a belt off someone. It also looked like the Derrytresk official with the clipboard had a go at the Dromid number 4 first which kicked it all off.

Number 9 got blindsided by the guy with the hoodie up and rugby tackled by the guy with the black hat.
#newbridgeornowhere