More Thuggery on the GAA field

Started by agorm, January 23, 2012, 06:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agorm

Does anyone know the length of the bans? - in my opinion they need to be of at least 6 months to ensure that the guys miss games in the championship. Also, is there any additional investigation to highlight the supporters that came on and give that idiot in the hoodie a life ban.

Another incident reported this morning...this time it is St Mary's Belfast that is involved. According to to the radio there was a high level of abuse of match officials after the game. it did die down but a number of St Mary's players lead by one in particular could not leave it at that and "approached" the referree again. According to the report on the radio it was very ugly.

Hopefully hopefully, the guilty parties, especially the instigator mentioned, will be rooted out and dealt with severely - and I mean 1 year bans for these guys not a few months allowing them back for club championships. GAA people countrywide need this dealt with so that these nutcases dont feel they have carte blanche to behave in a way they wouldnt in other sports or in the outside world.

Independent.ie
Ugly scenes as Mary's exit
By Sigerson cup
Thursday February 02 2012

NUIG 0-6 St Mary's, Belfast 0-5

NUIG goalkeeper Donal O'Sullivan produced a stunning save to deny Michael Stephenson in the dying moments of a controversial clash at Dangan yesterday.

St Mary's 'keeper Niall Morgan's resultant '45' fell short, and referee Sean Carroll blew for full-time.

That prompted an angry response and disgraceful scenes as St Mary's, who were in possession and looked set for an equaliser, launched a tirade at the match officials.

Carroll had dished out six bookings during a competitive, but not especially fractious encounter.

John Maughan's NUIG led by 0-4 to 0-1 at half-time, but had Kieran Conroy sent off for a second yellow card just before the break.

St Mary's fought back, reducing the deficit to a point. But two scores from Neil Douglas restored NUIG's advantage, and although Stephenson and Niall Sludden left just the minimum between the sides with seven minutes to go, St Mary's could not fashion an equaliser.

SCORERS -- NUIG: N Douglas 0-4 (3f), J Doherty, I Galvin 0-1 each. St Mary's, Belfast: B Herron 0-2, P Harte, N Sludden, M Stephenson 0-1 each.

NUIG -- D O'Sullivan; G Sweeney, D Gavin, K McDonald; J Moore, J Maloney, R Kiely; S Guing, S Moran; F Deasmhunaigh, S Gilmartin, K Conroy; N Douglas, J Doherty, I Galvin. Subs: R Rochford for Moore (17), C Griffin for Galvin (42), D Newcombe for Deasmhnaigh (51), K Conlon for Guing (55).

St Mary's, Belfast -- N Morgan; M Slane, M Murray, D McBride; G Teague, E McArdle, C O'Hara; B Doyle, S O'Neill; J Gilmore, B Herron, D McCusker; R Sexton, P Harte, N Sludden. Sub: M Stephenson for Gilmore (42).

Ref -- S Carroll (Westmeath).

- Sigerson cup

clarshack

think about it - croke park arent stupid enough to ban players for no reason.
they didnt just log onto youtube to sort this out. they had at least 2 full videos to look at - one from each side of the ground.
no.3 is alleged to have done something after the melee.

imo - any players who get off will only get off on a technicality and i guess that's where fergal comes in.

the hill will probably get their fine reduced but that's about it, unless technicalities can be found in relation to the suspensions.

croke park have made it difficult for derrytresk to win the final but not impossible. clonbur are no great shakes. i would have expected a full strength derrytresk side to have won the final by 7-8 points.

when you take into consideration clonbur are missing their full forward then that leaves derrytresk at a disadvantage by 3 players.

there's also a chance clonbur will now be complacent.

if the hill dont feel sorry for themselves and go out and fight for every ball then they still have every chance.

saffron sam2

Looks like a lot of Tyrone names on that Ranch team.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: agorm on February 02, 2012, 10:25:28 AM
Does anyone know the length of the bans? - in my opinion they need to be of at least 6 months to ensure that the guys miss games in the championship. Also, is there any additional investigation to highlight the supporters that came on and give that idiot in the hoodie a life ban.

Another incident reported this morning...this time it is St Mary's Belfast that is involved. According to to the radio there was a high level of abuse of match officials after the game. it did die down but a number of St Mary's players lead by one in particular could not leave it at that and "approached" the referree again. According to the report on the radio it was very ugly.

Hopefully hopefully, the guilty parties, especially the instigator mentioned, will be rooted out and dealt with severely - and I mean 1 year bans for these guys not a few months allowing them back for club championships. GAA people countrywide need this dealt with so that these nutcases dont feel they have carte blanche to behave in a way they wouldnt in other sports or in the outside world.

Independent.ie
Ugly scenes as Mary's exit
By Sigerson cup
Thursday February 02 2012

NUIG 0-6 St Mary's, Belfast 0-5

NUIG goalkeeper Donal O'Sullivan produced a stunning save to deny Michael Stephenson in the dying moments of a controversial clash at Dangan yesterday.

St Mary's 'keeper Niall Morgan's resultant '45' fell short, and referee Sean Carroll blew for full-time.

That prompted an angry response and disgraceful scenes as St Mary's, who were in possession and looked set for an equaliser, launched a tirade at the match officials.

Carroll had dished out six bookings during a competitive, but not especially fractious encounter.

John Maughan's NUIG led by 0-4 to 0-1 at half-time, but had Kieran Conroy sent off for a second yellow card just before the break.

St Mary's fought back, reducing the deficit to a point. But two scores from Neil Douglas restored NUIG's advantage, and although Stephenson and Niall Sludden left just the minimum between the sides with seven minutes to go, St Mary's could not fashion an equaliser.

SCORERS -- NUIG: N Douglas 0-4 (3f), J Doherty, I Galvin 0-1 each. St Mary's, Belfast: B Herron 0-2, P Harte, N Sludden, M Stephenson 0-1 each.

NUIG -- D O'Sullivan; G Sweeney, D Gavin, K McDonald; J Moore, J Maloney, R Kiely; S Guing, S Moran; F Deasmhunaigh, S Gilmartin, K Conroy; N Douglas, J Doherty, I Galvin. Subs: R Rochford for Moore (17), C Griffin for Galvin (42), D Newcombe for Deasmhnaigh (51), K Conlon for Guing (55).

St Mary's, Belfast -- N Morgan; M Slane, M Murray, D McBride; G Teague, E McArdle, C O'Hara; B Doyle, S O'Neill; J Gilmore, B Herron, D McCusker; R Sexton, P Harte, N Sludden. Sub: M Stephenson for Gilmore (42).

- Sigerson cup
Ive seen this ref in action over the yrs, you will never see a more bias ref in your life, the reasons why hes so biased i have my own thoughts, but this man should not be a referee for his own benefit and everyone elses.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

ballymac

Based on the clip that most people have seen, in super slow motion as well, it is easy to identify who and what started the melee. Also any of the subs (if not all of them) who entered the field of play and those players who were involved. Now if you were in possession of the refs report and all relevant video evidence you can apply the relevant sanctions that are set down in the rules.
This is where the problem then starts, there are guidelines that the CCCC use, but no hard and fast rules.People then start to compare to other incidents, solicitors appeal and various spin is put on the whole incident. This is not a Tyrone v Kerry or a North V South thing and should not be allowed to escalate into this. This is a problem that the GAA has and there needs to be a simple set of sanctions in place that cannot be appealed against.
So if we had a guaranteed cast iron ruling that if any subs enter a pitch unauthorised to get involved in a scuffle, then a fine/ban/suspension is forthcoming. Everyone then knows exactly what to expect, clubs take it on the chin and get on with it.
If someone is sited in the refs report then unless they have proof (video) of their innocence or are prepared to name the guilty party (as in case of mistaken identity) then no appeal, again get on with it.Clubs need to buy into the notion of supporting the decisions of the CCCC, in the same way players need to support and respect referees. Sorry just forgot I had my rose tinted specs on

Nally Stand

Quote from: ballymac on February 02, 2012, 10:57:21 AM
This is not a Tyrone v Kerry or a North V South thing and should not be allowed to escalate into this.

Tell that to all those ringing joe duffy to tell him of the badness of "N. Ireland GAA supporters" as a collective group. Or tell that to the Crossmaglen Club in the wake of Dr Croke's shameful statement.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

blewuporstuffed

not condoning any abuse of the ref, but this is a perfect example of why they should have kept the rule that the ball has to be out of play for t he ref to blow the full time whistle.
that eliminates  incidents like this
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: ballymac on February 02, 2012, 10:57:21 AM
Based on the clip that most people have seen, in super slow motion as well, it is easy to identify who and what started the melee. Also any of the subs (if not all of them) who entered the field of play and those players who were involved. Now if you were in possession of the refs report and all relevant video evidence you can apply the relevant sanctions that are set down in the rules.
This is where the problem then starts, there are guidelines that the CCCC use, but no hard and fast rules.People then start to compare to other incidents, solicitors appeal and various spin is put on the whole incident. This is not a Tyrone v Kerry or a North V South thing and should not be allowed to escalate into this. This is a problem that the GAA has and there needs to be a simple set of sanctions in place that cannot be appealed against.
So if we had a guaranteed cast iron ruling that if any subs enter a pitch unauthorised to get involved in a scuffle, then a fine/ban/suspension is forthcoming. Everyone then knows exactly what to expect, clubs take it on the chin and get on with it.
If someone is sited in the refs report then unless they have proof (video) of their innocence or are prepared to name the guilty party (as in case of mistaken identity) then no appeal, again get on with it.
Clubs need to buy into the notion of supporting the decisions of the CCCC, in the same way players need to support and respect referees. Sorry just forgot I had my rose tinted specs on

AGree with all that
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Hardy

No apologies for marching in again, banging the drum on this one - we need anti-appeal measures. Fail your appeal and your penalty gets at least doubled. And we need to find a way to cut the lawyers out of the process. I can't see how there's a legal right to legal representation in the affairs of an amateur sport. Even if there is, we should use what we're good at and deploy the nod-and-wink methodology. For a season or two, any lad who turns up with a lawyer gets the book thrown at him - the extreme of every penalty available, whether he's guilty or innocent. Sooner or later lads will figure out that you don't go next or near a lawyer.

johnneycool

Quote from: clarshack on February 02, 2012, 10:30:33 AM
think about it - croke park arent stupid enough to ban players for no reason.
they didnt just log onto youtube to sort this out. they had at least 2 full videos to look at - one from each side of the ground.
no.3 is alleged to have done something after the melee.

imo - any players who get off will only get off on a technicality and i guess that's where fergal comes in.

the hill will probably get their fine reduced but that's about it, unless technicalities can be found in relation to the suspensions.

croke park have made it difficult for derrytresk to win the final but not impossible. clonbur are no great shakes. i would have expected a full strength derrytresk side to have won the final by 7-8 points.

when you take into consideration clonbur are missing their full forward then that leaves derrytresk at a disadvantage by 3 players.

there's also a chance clonbur will now be complacent.

if the hill dont feel sorry for themselves and go out and fight for every ball then they still have every chance.

I think Derrytresk have made it difficult for themselves, irrespective of what Croke park did.

You can't go jumping fences to get into the middle of a row and not expect to be punished.

There's no denying they got a lot more media attention than they expected, but it was an AI semi-final after all, not a league game in the back end of beyond,

Tubberman

He should be indentified and suspended. Some stop has to be put to this shite

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2012/0202/higheredu.html

The Higher Education Council are waiting on the referee's report after ugly scenes followed the Sigerson Cup game between NUIG and St Mary's yesterday in Dangan.

NUIG won by 0-06 to 0-05 in a tight encounter but the full-time whistle sparked huge anger directed at the referee.

St Mary's had the chance to equalise in the dying minutes when goalkeeper Niall Morgan came forward for a 45.

The kick dropped short and referee Sean Carroll blew for full-time.

The St Mary's players appealed that there was 30 seconds remaining.

Journalist John Farrell told Morning Ireland what he witnessed after the game: "Immediately the referee and two of his umpires were surrounded by players and confronted. The verbals were quite liberal to put it mildly. They were just jostled going off the pitch. Unsavoury as it was, it died down as other players and officials got involved to calm matters."

The referee and his officials, along with a couple of hundred supporters, then made their way to the clubhouse.

Fallon added: "That seemed to be the end of it. But the St Mary's players were grouped together and led by one player who said 'hang on, we've put so much into this, lets get him'.

"With that he grabbed a couple of players and took off in the direction of the referee.

"Several players from St Mary's said come back and went after him to calm the scenario. But you had supporters leaving the ground through a narrow laneway and suddenly a posse of players running at a speed as if they were going out on the pitch.

"Thankfully the referee and his officials had got to the clubhouse at that stage. There was a nasty incident at the entrance with six or seven players trying to gain entry.

"There was an awful lot of abuse directed at the referee and with the arrival of some other players and officials and the inability to get into the referees dressing-room, it subsided.

"But for those few moments it was particularly nasty. I think anyone that seen it realises that had this group of players reached the referee while he was making his way (to the clubhouse), which was crowded with supporters, I think that is where the incident could have been infinitely more serious."
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Lone Shark

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on February 02, 2012, 10:55:16 AM
Quote from: agorm on February 02, 2012, 10:25:28 AM

Ive seen this ref in action over the yrs, you will never see a more bias ref in your life, the reasons why hes so biased i have my own thoughts, but this man should not be a referee for his own benefit and everyone elses.

On yesterday's game, St Marys can have no complaints with the referee whatsoever. He gave out a lot of yellow cards, maybe more than were necessary, but he gave them to both sides and the only player to walk was the NUIG wing forward. (For two justifiable yellows in my opinion).

The only other contentious issue was a free that should have been given to NUIG near the end that would have given them a point and wasn't. As for the final incident on the field, the referee clearly said something to the keeper who was taking the 45, and I heard from a few people afterwards that he was clarifying that this would be the last kick.

I have no idea where they get the idea that there was 30 seconds to go - the 45 was being taken a few seconds short of 33 mins exactly. It's not like there was an announcement or a board saying how many extra minutes were to be played, and it wouldn't be three and a half anyway. To be honest I'd say two was enough, there was only one stoppage and the substitutions were all quick.

On the ref generally, I've seen him a few times now and he's been decent. I was also chatting to a Westmeath journalist immediately after the game and he confirmed that he was good, based on looking at him for years. No disrespect, but how much Westmeath football does one Sligoman see? I'd be amazed if you've seen him do more than three or four games.

ONeill

Apologies Hardy.

Be calm in arguing; for fierceness makes error a fault, and truth discourtesy.
(George Herbert)

Wisely and slow; they stumble that run fast
R&J (2.3.10)

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 02, 2012, 09:56:36 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 02, 2012, 09:51:37 AM
Surprised that so many derrytreask players received suspensions. The subs 'contributed to a melee' more so thought they would bear the brunt. I'd have expected more dromid players to be suspended than derrytreask.

As for those of you asking about any violence after the game - well apart from the handbag swing at Declan osullivan by that female (?) supporter there was none.Certianly none that I saw. Goadng yes but nothing worthy of a yellow card let alone red or suspension.
More Dromid players? In the name of God, why would you say that? Or do you mean more Dromid starters? Quite apart from the other incidents, I thought #11 and #15 deserved a ban, so I'd have had it at 2-2 on the players front, and about 6 subs.

And as mentioned, this does not account for the post match or any other incidents.
there was no post match incidents to merit further punishment for players (or subs) that I witnessed and i'd be fairly sure that I didnt miss anything of note after the final whistle.
I was looking for this !

dromid had four defenders and a midfielder swinging punches and imo deserved censure. thats why.
I'd be hard convinced not to ban the entire derrytreask subs bench.

AZOffaly

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 02, 2012, 11:57:48 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 02, 2012, 09:56:36 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 02, 2012, 09:51:37 AM
Surprised that so many derrytreask players received suspensions. The subs 'contributed to a melee' more so thought they would bear the brunt. I'd have expected more dromid players to be suspended than derrytreask.

As for those of you asking about any violence after the game - well apart from the handbag swing at Declan osullivan by that female (?) supporter there was none.Certianly none that I saw. Goadng yes but nothing worthy of a yellow card let alone red or suspension.
More Dromid players? In the name of God, why would you say that? Or do you mean more Dromid starters? Quite apart from the other incidents, I thought #11 and #15 deserved a ban, so I'd have had it at 2-2 on the players front, and about 6 subs.

And as mentioned, this does not account for the post match or any other incidents.
there was no post match incidents to merit further punishment for players (or subs) that I witnessed and i'd be fairly sure that I didnt miss anything of note after the final whistle.
I was looking for this !

dromid had four defenders and a midfielder swinging punches and imo deserved censure. thats why.
I'd be hard convinced not to ban the entire derrytreask subs bench.

I think you're way off base, but then again Croke Park seem to agree with me, so maybe you're spot on :D