More Thuggery on the GAA field

Started by agorm, January 23, 2012, 06:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Now the appeals industry swings into action. 'Take your medicine and use the time to reflect on how you should behave yourself' seems to be an outdated concept.  The barroom lawyers here pronouncing on the basis of video footage don't seem to remember that the referee's report is the most important evidence.

orangeman

Quote from: Hardy on February 01, 2012, 11:12:38 PM
Now the appeals industry swings into action. 'Take your medicine and use the time to reflect on how you should behave yourself' seems to be an outdated concept.  The barroom lawyers here pronouncing on the basis of video footage don't seem to remember that the referee's report is the most important evidence.

The review committee's basis for imposing the sanctions will be important as well.

I can see this going a long road - don't expect the final to be played anytime soon.

Fear ón Srath Bán

True. So if the referee's report constituted the principal basis of the punishments, was the referee contemporaneously a) incompetent, b) remiss, or c) complicit? How can there be such a discrepancy between the sanctions that the referee exercised during the game, and those administered in retrospect, if the referee's report informed both sets of sanctions equally?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

orangeman

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 01, 2012, 11:24:10 PM

True. So if the referee's report constituted the principal basis of the punishments, was the referee contemporaneously a) incompetent, b) remiss, or c) complicit? How can there be such a discrepancy between the sanctions that the referee exercised during the game, and those administered in retrospect, if the referee's report informed both sets of sanctions equally?

Joe Duffy must have been advising the CCC - or else has a holiday home in South Kerry.

The ref's report doesn't seem to have formed the basis for any suspensions.

ONeill

Bollox.

You don't know what you're talking about.

The referee gives the No.11 a yellow in the brawl. It's now a red.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Whishtup

Here we have a six-player choke-hold and a punch threw in the middle of it.  Let's go the whole hog and ban the lot...

Let's sanitise the lot, I say, good fellows!

Disgraceful decision, bowing to a media campaign that was pushed and pushed and backed up by sanctimonious donkeys, who need to say the word 'disgrace' on a regular basis to satisfy their thirst for self-pontification. 

Jinxy

That raises another interesting point.
How the hell did Connolly get away with diving knees first onto the Kildare full back?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

screenexile

From what I can see the no. 3 has no problem here and should be easily overturned. Looking at the evidence there were more Dromid players nailed than Derrytresk fella's and the fact that subs jumped the wire makes it twenty times worse on Derrytresks part.

Seriously do lads not have brain cells at all? What possible good was going to come from a sub thinking "Jesus there's a bit of handbags here I need to jump onto the field and sort this situation out!"

If anybody is suspended in the wrong I would hate to see them miss an AIF but in my opinion the fine would stand up and Derrytresk are lucky enough to be playing in the final!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Jinxy on February 02, 2012, 12:14:34 AM
That raises another interesting point.
How the hell did Connolly get away with diving knees first onto the Kildare full back?

Connolly swore blind that he wasn't even in Newbridge. He said he was round at Seánie Johnston's place in Straffan for Sunday lunch.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

trileacman

Don't know what all the fuss is about. If the Derrytresk subs/fans/clipboardmen had have restrained themselves this wouldn't be such an issue. They did though and broke GAA rules, they can't throw there hands in the air and say "what was that for".

The second point and perhaps more important is why did the GAA not fine Dromid and Derrytresk equally? It takes two for this stuff to happen and not many of the Dromid men seem to shy from the confrontation. Also they whored themselves out to the media since this happened and sets a bad precedent, more teams will now seek this childish, one-upmanship attitude to relieve some of the bitterness of defeat. As GAA clubs go, Dromid acted liked a spoilt child who couldn't take their beating, advocating Derrytresk's explusion from the cup and going at great lengths to issue poorly constructed statements to the press, not to the GAA.

My fear is that the GAA has opened a can of worms here, many people will forget this row, its suspensions and fines. They will remember though that Dromid influenced these suspensions by creating a media circus and they too will try to gain retribution for their hiding by taking a similar route.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Íseal agus crua isteach a

"If" the CCC were judging their punishment by what was shown on that short clip on youtube then its absolutely scandalous. I can't comment on any other part of the game because I wasn't their. However, if that is the case and that was their evidence Tyrone GAA should pull out of the league game with Kildare in protest for their fellow County man.(Which is not going to happen I know).

muppet

Quote from: Jinxy on February 02, 2012, 12:37:15 AM
Was clipboard man suspended?

He did a deal. He is now head of the ECB.
MWWSI 2017

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: screenexile on February 02, 2012, 12:31:55 AM
From what I can see the no. 3 has no problem here and should be easily overturned. Looking at the evidence there were more Dromid players nailed than Derrytresk fella's and the fact that subs jumped the wire makes it twenty times worse on Derrytresks part.

Seriously do lads not have brain cells at all? What possible good was going to come from a sub thinking "Jesus there's a bit of handbags here I need to jump onto the field and sort this situation out!"

If anybody is suspended in the wrong I would hate to see them miss an AIF but in my opinion the fine would stand up and Derrytresk are lucky enough to be playing in the final!

There were incidents at the end of the match were there not? Perhaps, and I am only guessing, the no 3 could have suspended in relation to some of those. O'Neill raises an interesting point, what is the rule when the referee deals with a matter during the match? Now from the pictures I saw number 11 clearly deserved a red but he may ironically have the best appeal. Seemed to be more than 4 subs jumping the fence, anybody who encroached on the field in that manner should be banned regardless of what they did when they arrived. I can well understand why Derrytresk's fine was higher, the intervention of their subs and mentors / supporters turned what was a fairly innocuous melee into a national incident.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

haranguerer

Quote from: theticklemister on February 01, 2012, 10:50:35 PM

Because this fight was in a national competition with exposure across the country and not in a local championship the GAA maybe believed that it was a great time to hit the teams hard.

Its becuase Dromid make a scene about it and they and the media turned it into a north v south issue