More Thuggery on the GAA field

Started by agorm, January 23, 2012, 06:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarshack

kevin mcstay and pat spillane have their say too...

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2012/0124/jfc_brawl.html

look there's no dispute that the subs/supporters that ran onto to the field were out of order
but the media witch hunt against the derrytresk club is a disgrace.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 25, 2012, 08:30:00 AM
Quote from: ONeill on January 24, 2012, 08:13:48 PM
LS, you seem to interpret things in a rather exaggerated manner. You seem to want to believe I'm making an excuse.

No one is excusing anything here. No one was settling scores for previous games. Setting a context isn't finding an excuse - it's more of a psychological observation and I know I'm correct about this. I listened to normally rational friends and relatives spouting frighteningly irrational beliefs about Kerry v Ulster and even the rest of Ireland v Ulster. During the height of the Tyrone/Derry rivalry of the 90s and Tyrone/Armagh rivalry of the 00s nasty incidents occurred on and off the pitch more than ever compared to before or after. Really poisonous atmospheres. It would even spill down to club friendlies and the dancefloors. I honestly believe both sets of fans and players had ill-informed preconceptions of their opponents and that added fuel to the fire.

Good point well made. It seems that the common link in all your examples above is Tyrone.

Quote from: ONeill on January 24, 2012, 08:49:08 PM
History repeating itself (sorta)

Crokes livid over 'unsavoury' incidents but won't appeal club final result

By Tony Leen

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

DR CROKES will not appeal the result of Sunday's controversial All-Ireland club final, but will file a letter of complaint to Croke Park detailing allegations of several "unsavoury" incidents involving Crossmaglen officials and supporters during and after the game.

'Twas only a matter of time until the doyens of such behaviour appeared on this thread.

Must not bite....must not bite.....must not....ah there I feel so much better now that I didn't react, therapy is working wonders for me ;D

saffron sam2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 25, 2012, 10:04:10 AM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 25, 2012, 08:30:00 AM
Quote from: ONeill on January 24, 2012, 08:13:48 PM
LS, you seem to interpret things in a rather exaggerated manner. You seem to want to believe I'm making an excuse.

No one is excusing anything here. No one was settling scores for previous games. Setting a context isn't finding an excuse - it's more of a psychological observation and I know I'm correct about this. I listened to normally rational friends and relatives spouting frighteningly irrational beliefs about Kerry v Ulster and even the rest of Ireland v Ulster. During the height of the Tyrone/Derry rivalry of the 90s and Tyrone/Armagh rivalry of the 00s nasty incidents occurred on and off the pitch more than ever compared to before or after. Really poisonous atmospheres. It would even spill down to club friendlies and the dancefloors. I honestly believe both sets of fans and players had ill-informed preconceptions of their opponents and that added fuel to the fire.

Good point well made. It seems that the common link in all your examples above is Tyrone.

Quote from: ONeill on January 24, 2012, 08:49:08 PM
History repeating itself (sorta)

Crokes livid over 'unsavoury' incidents but won't appeal club final result

By Tony Leen

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

DR CROKES will not appeal the result of Sunday's controversial All-Ireland club final, but will file a letter of complaint to Croke Park detailing allegations of several "unsavoury" incidents involving Crossmaglen officials and supporters during and after the game.

'Twas only a matter of time until the doyens of such behaviour appeared on this thread.

Must not bite....must not bite.....must not....ah there I feel so much better now that I didn't react, therapy is working wonders for me ;D

Ah shite!
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Wee Roddy

The fact of the matter is that in a situation like this, so called journalists who were not present go by the word of another so called journalist who was not present either. The mass media then creates a witch hunt. I would pay little heed on such events as the powers that be seem to handle these things without being influenced by the mejia!
BTW the Dromid manager really comes accross as a very very sore losers, perhaps even a little immature!

thewobbler

Clarshack, it's not a media witch hunt.

As mentioned quite a few times on this thread, this kind of thing happens at least once a weekend somewhere in the country. It even happened with my own club two seasons ago. And we did what every club does in this situation, we closed ranks and wouldn't name names when asked by investigating officials.

What marks this incident out as different is that it happened in view of an independent cameraman.  Which means there is accurate coverage of a disgraceful scene, and the GAA have a rare opportunity to do something meaningful about it. There is no witch hunt, but for once, simple, clear and obvious evidence of serious transgression.

In my mind Dromid are equally culpable in this mess - but as they have nothing to lose in the competition anymore, by nature they can be more forthright and honest about the scenes than Derrytresk can be. Any admission of guilt by Derrytresk runs a chance of player suspensions, and even competition disqualification - so they're now sh1t scared and paranoid, and are backing into a corner.

My recommendation for resolution is simple enough. Leave the actual players alone; that's for the referee to handle, and if he wants to cite those players he can - but he won't. The GAA then freeze frames the video and asks the clubs to supply the names of each substitute, official and spectator identified in the melee. The actions of each of those people are then tracked through the footage, and if they're clearly aggressive, then they're banned from the next 3-10 Championship matches involving their club. This means the subs miss out on Championship football, and the spectators are physically banned from the arena. This, of course, punishes Derrytresk more than Dromid - but if Dromid had have won, that shoe would have been on the other foot.

If the clubs refuse to aid the investigation, they're simply removed from Championship football, this year and next.

This is not a hardline suggestion. It's simply a means of identifying those people who felt they could enter a sporting arena, and punishing them for doing so. And it would set a suitable precedent for handling such situations going forward.

tyssam5

cornafean

Quote from: thewobbler on January 25, 2012, 10:40:12 AM
The actions of each of those people are then tracked through the footage, and if they're clearly aggressive, then they're banned from the next 3-10 Championship matches involving their club.

Match bans are not yet part of the GAA rulebook.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Jinxy

Quote from: tyssam5 on January 25, 2012, 11:05:45 AM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/mediaplayer.html?features,3177986,3177986,flash,257

Oh surely not Pat Spillane and Kevin McStay talking shite for games they weren't at!

What's all this about people who weren't at the game not being entitled to an opinion?
Did I not watch a video showing a load of subs jumping the hoardings to attack a couple of greatly outnumbered opposition players?
I see the ulster council delegate Pat Darcy is sticking his beak in now and telling the world that this regularly happens 'EVERYWHERE' in the GAA, and Tyrone are being unfairly singled out.
a) That's bullshit.
b) Isn't that a great message to be sending out?
Tyrone club football is on message for 2012.
The media is watching and waiting.
FFS will you get a grip of yourselves.
At the very least, stop anyone going into a game with a camera.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

tyssam5

As mentioned quite a few times on this thread, this kind of thing happens at least once a weekend somewhere in the country. It even happened with my own club two seasons ago. And we did what every club does in this situation, we closed ranks and wouldn't name names when asked by investigating officials.

What marks this incident out as different is that it happened in view of an independent cameraman.  Which means there is accurate coverage of a disgraceful scene, and the GAA have a rare opportunity to do something meaningful about it. There is no witch hunt, but for once, simple, clear and obvious evidence of serious transgression.

In my mind Dromid are equally culpable in this mess - but as they have nothing to lose in the competition anymore, by nature they can be more forthright and honest about the scenes than Derrytresk can be. Any admission of guilt by Derrytresk runs a chance of player suspensions, and even competition disqualification - so they're now sh1t scared and paranoid, and are backing into a corner.

My recommendation for resolution is simple enough. Leave the actual players alone; that's for the referee to handle, and if he wants to cite those players he can - but he won't. The GAA then freeze frames the video and asks the clubs to supply the names of each substitute, official and spectator identified in the melee. The actions of each of those people are then tracked through the footage, and if they're clearly aggressive, then they're banned from the next 3-10 Championship matches involving their club. This means the subs miss out on Championship football, and the spectators are physically banned from the arena. This, of course, punishes Derrytresk more than Dromid - but if Dromid had have won, that shoe would have been on the other foot.

If the clubs refuse to aid the investigation, they're simply removed from Championship football, this year and next.

This is not a hardline suggestion. It's simply a means of identifying those people who felt they could enter a sporting arena, and punishing them for doing so. And it would set a suitable precedent for handling such situations going forward.

No? What is the ratio of Tyrone vs. Kerry 'journalists' quoted then?

Main Street

Quote from: Jinxy on January 25, 2012, 11:20:26 AM

At this game, it was a Kerry camera that did the deed.

tyssam5

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/mediaplayer.html?features,3177986,3177986,flash,257

Oh surely not Pat Spillane and Kevin McStay talking shite for games they weren't at!

What's all this about people who weren't at the game not being entitled to an opinion?
Did I not watch a video showing a load of subs jumping the hoardings to attack a couple of greatly outnumbered opposition players?
I see the ulster council delegate Pat Darcy is sticking his beak in now and telling the world that this regularly happens 'EVERYWHERE' in the GAA, and Tyrone are being unfairly singled out.
a) That's bullshit.

I love an opinion on everything.  But I don't get paid for it. Kerry men getting interviewed on something they didn't see is that fair? why did RTE not interview people who were at the game. It's not like it's an unconventional type of journalism.

tyssam5

a) That's bullshit.

(c) Testicles being touched everywhere according to the Dromid manager is this a good message? or is it bullshit? Man sounded delusional in fairness.

Jinxy

I've read plenty of opinions from people that were at the game.
The journalist Michael Clifford was there with his kids.
You only want to hear the opinions that say 'There were two teams in it'.
Does anyone honestly think that if Dromid were playing a team from Dublin, Meath, Cork, Galway or wherever that this game would have had such a nasty undertone?
p.s. Tyrone men have form for grabbing balls!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

tyssam5

Quote from: Jinxy on January 25, 2012, 11:33:30 AM
I've read plenty of opinions from people that were at the game.
The journalist Michael Clifford was there with his kids.
You only want to hear the opinions that say 'There were two teams in it'.
Does anyone honestly think that if Dromid were playing a team from Dublin, Meath, Cork, Galway or wherever that this game would have had such a nasty undertone?
p.s. Tyrone men have form for grabbing balls!

No I don't want to just hear 'there were two teams at it' but I would like to hear the national media quoting Tyrone as well as Kerry sources. And by sources I mean people who are prepared to say what they saw first hand. Not secondary or tertiary sources.

So on the subject how do you know the game had 'a nasty undertone' were you there?

FERDIE

Wobbler, your post is the only sensible, unhysterical one that I have heard since this whole saga started.