More Thuggery on the GAA field

Started by agorm, January 23, 2012, 06:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: haranguerer on January 24, 2012, 08:37:00 AM
This is unbelievable. Anyone would think dromids bus was ambushed and they were all taken out and given a punishment beating. Beyond a joke - there was a row, both sides were involved, the derrytresk subs got involved which they shouldnt have, thats the only difference (one would wonder why the dromid subs didnt also get up to try to protect their players, but anyway, and by protect I do just mean split up the fighting).

It seems to me the rest of it has turned into an us v those nordie bullies, which in national papers is an absolute disgrace

Because they obviously have a bit of class.

The lack of self-control displayed by the Derrytresk lads is indefensible. The GAA should be making an example out of them.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

passedit

Quote"One of our substitutes, Micheal O'Shea, saw Thomas getting hit and went in to help him. He reckoned if he didn't, they would have killed him. Then there was five of them who got Denis Shine on the ground as well. They fractured his cheekbone, ripped the jersey off him and drove the boot into his back. His back is destroyed, he could barely move yesterday."

http://www.joe.ie/gaa/gaa-news/derrytresk-players-went-for-testicles-before-game-even-started-0019921-1
Don't Panic

brokencrossbar1

I think that there needs to be a bit of responsibility in how both clubs approach reports from the events, talk of fiddling and the Dromid manager's wife having to hide their kids under the seats for safety is just enflaming an already combustible situation. There is a clear undertone in all reporting that I have heard/read of Derrytresk being the main culprits and in some situations a clear anti nordie approach. If people want to question the siege mentality then listen with a completely unbiased ear to some news reports. What went on is wrong. Knee jerk shit benefits no one. Identify the culprits and ban them, both sides. The GAA needs to be seen to take a firm stance but it needs to be an even handed stance. I have no doubt that Derrytresk will be speaking to Fergal Logan soon in the event of large bans/expulsion from the competition. The GAA cannot leave themselves open for ridicule either when imposing punishments.

stephenite

Quote from: ONeill on January 24, 2012, 07:44:54 AM
Quote from: stephenite on January 24, 2012, 01:59:58 AM
Quote from: ONeill on January 23, 2012, 11:29:05 PM
There's no doubt that subs/supporters should not be on the field. No one is excusing that and I'm sure the club expects punishment for that through the proper quarters. It's a massive pity this has happened as Derrytresk have no history of this at any level. They're a harmless junior club with a clean slate. Tensions ran high and the whole Kerry/Tyrone overtones were simmering and have been since the Omagh battle a few years ago.

What does stick in the throat is the abuse being levied at the Derrytresk players for their tactics, and then Tyrone/Ulster football beyond that. The first punch thrown was by a Dromid man at the man with the clipboard. Again, that doesn't excuse the incursion onto the field of the hyped-up subs and that response is regretted, no matter how exaggerated it has become.

Dromid had 2 reds and 9 yellows. The Hill had 2 yellows.

That abuse being levied at Derrytresk players for their tactics is what sticks in your throat merely highlights how far you are removed from the point that most people are trying to make.

That you believe the hyped up response of the subs has been exaggerated is quite beyond belief.

I'm not wading in here to have a go at Derrytresk, Tyrone or Ulster (the scenes from Corofin fans were equally despicable)

An an organisation the line needs to be drawn - and that line needs to be that both sides are thrown out of the All Ireland Club championship (it's the fairest way), a play off between the provincial runners up to decide who advances.

Repeat the dose to all clubs across all competitions, they'll learn soon enough.

I suggest you read my post again. I said the incursion was wrong and will be dealt with I'm sure. What do you want?  A pound of my flesh?

I've read your post again, and I addressed 2 points of your post, so to clarify, the incursion was wrong and exaggerated?

stephenite

Quote from: hardstation on January 24, 2012, 07:49:27 AM
Quote from: stephenite on January 24, 2012, 01:59:58 AM
Quote from: ONeill on January 23, 2012, 11:29:05 PM
There's no doubt that subs/supporters should not be on the field. No one is excusing that and I'm sure the club expects punishment for that through the proper quarters. It's a massive pity this has happened as Derrytresk have no history of this at any level. They're a harmless junior club with a clean slate. Tensions ran high and the whole Kerry/Tyrone overtones were simmering and have been since the Omagh battle a few years ago.

What does stick in the throat is the abuse being levied at the Derrytresk players for their tactics, and then Tyrone/Ulster football beyond that. The first punch thrown was by a Dromid man at the man with the clipboard. Again, that doesn't excuse the incursion onto the field of the hyped-up subs and that response is regretted, no matter how exaggerated it has become.

Dromid had 2 reds and 9 yellows. The Hill had 2 yellows.

That abuse being levied at Derrytresk players for their tactics is what sticks in your throat merely highlights how far you are removed from the point that most people are trying to make.

That you believe the hyped up response of the subs has been exaggerated is quite beyond belief.

I'm not wading in here to have a go at Derrytresk, Tyrone or Ulster (the scenes from Corofin fans were equally despicable)

An an organisation the line needs to be drawn - and that line needs to be that both sides are thrown out of the All Ireland Club championship (it's the fairest way), a play off between the provincial runners up to decide who advances.
Repeat the dose to all clubs across all competitions, they'll learn soon enough.
I do despair.

I want Meath stripped of their 1996 All Ireland after you two showers of cnuts disgraced our game at the highest level.

Despair all you want.

Say what you want about 1996, but there were no subs, selectors, managers, water boys, random fat c***ts with clipboards getting involved that day, you're not exactly comparing like with like but that's hardly a surprise.

sammymaguire

Alot of pumped up lads there for sure... taking on the Kerry lads in an A-I semi is a big deal in Tyrone.

I think a suspended sentence would be apt in this instance if this is the first time the club have been involved in this type of incident - thrown out over this would be a shocking travesty imo
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

AQMP

Just watched the footage there for the first time.

Fer f**k's sake is that what we've had 3 or 4 separate threads about!! 

Hardstation has it about right.  Dromid started a row, had their arses handed to them on a plate both in in the schmozzle and in the match.  The number of reds and yellows does tell a story about who the agressors were.

Isn't about time we all moved on?

brokencrossbar1

No harm to people but what happened in 1996, 2006, or any other year is irrelevant and weakens any argument to justify what has happened. There is a cultural problem that manifests itself during football matches which is deemed acceptable. It doesn't matter who started the fight nor what happened in other counties 20 odd years ago. There is a real problem in the sport now which needs to be addressed and if it means players missing out in the biggest day of their career then so be it. The flip side is though that an even hand needs to be shown.

As for how serious the row was, or how many cards were issued, there are 2 Dronid players seriously injured, one with bad concussion and one with a cracked jaw. This is wrong and cannot be brushed over. 

AQMP

Quote from: robbedin82 on January 24, 2012, 09:32:44 AM
Nordy Scum!

Is Dromid not in South Kerry? ;)

Latest from Derrytresk

Good Luck to Castleisland Desmonds in the 2012 Intermediate Chamionship!

oakleafgael

Quote from: hardstation on January 24, 2012, 09:10:02 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 24, 2012, 08:52:10 AM
Quote from: hardstation on January 24, 2012, 08:47:49 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 24, 2012, 08:40:46 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on January 24, 2012, 08:37:00 AM
This is unbelievable. Anyone would think dromids bus was ambushed and they were all taken out and given a punishment beating. Beyond a joke - there was a row, both sides were involved, the derrytresk subs got involved which they shouldnt have, thats the only difference (one would wonder why the dromid subs didnt also get up to try to protect their players, but anyway, and by protect I do just mean split up the fighting).

It seems to me the rest of it has turned into an us v those nordie bullies, which in national papers is an absolute disgrace

What does that mean? Are you suggesting the subs are cowardly for not rushing the pitch like the Derrytresk lads?

By the way I agree with your last statement. It has unpleasant undertones in the media about uncivilised Nordies. But I do not believe that is the Dromid agenda. They are disgusted with what happened on Sunday, not just in the row. To me, this is about 2 clubs, not about Tyrone, Kerry nor Ulster.
They showed their disgust on Sunday, it seems. They had plenty of lads weighing in to throw digs "in disgust".

I see they're now on about getting their balls touched. ::)

What's next?

Bullshitters.

If what they say happened, happened, then it's out of order. Simple as that. I know you think they are whinging, and that's one point of view, but some things are just beyond the beyond on a football field. If that's deemed acceptable to you, well I suppose we just completely disagree about what is part of the game.
There are two sides to every story so who is to say Dromid weren't at the same. I mean, when you heard reports initially, they managed to leave out the small detail that the melee began when their player smacked the Derrytresk manager.

HS,

There is indeed two sides to every story but having been there and seen the antics of "some" of the Derrytresk men from before the ball was thrown in and in particular the treatment dished out to O'Sullivan its a load of balls to sit there and call them bullshitters. The same gulpins then tried to rub his nose into it after the match. A slap in the mouth would be to good for them.

Rossfan

Will the GAA now call a special "in camera" meeting with leading Co Board officials to discuss the real cancer at the heart of the GAA - indiscipline and failure to tackle it -.
Tyrone also has an issue here as this kind of crap seems to have become embedded in their GAA culture -- perhaps the saviour of all GAA things pure - Mark  Conway - could set up an organisation to root this crap out of Tyrone.
As for the GAA at National level - the very least they can do is expel Derrytresk from the club championship.
Meanwhile another few hundred mothers will make sure their children do not play Gaelic games.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Bingo

Its quite sad that nearly every few weeks now there is threads on this sort of incident on this board and on the front pages of the national print media.

It is becoming far too common and serious action needs to be taken at any guilty party, a marker needs to be laid down to bring our house back in order. It is very much becoming acceptable for subs and spectators to become involved and have access to the picch. This is crazy in fairness and its only a matter of time before something very serious happens. The excuses been thrown up are laughable.

The GAA needs to take a hands on approach and get involved from the off, be far more reactive and hand out punishments as soon as possible after these events to all parties involved. Too often it takes weeks, if not months, for the punishments to be handed out and by then its off the front pages and back to the sports pages where it is lost to the general public. Also this practice of handing out bans and then cutting then on appeal has to be stopped. If a player appeals it should be on the grounds that they have new evidence to suggest that they weren't involved or were wrongly punished, if not increase the ban. Too often these appeals are made on technicalities and compassionate grounds. Its a joke.

NAG1

Does anyone see the number 6 get the dig that concussed him? I must be missing it or something. I can see him being restrained to the right of the picture at the end but didnt see him getting hit.

armaghniac

QuoteThe number of reds and yellows does tell a story about who the agressors were.

It does nothing of the sort. Even looking at the video, I find it hard to sort out who is who and to take in all of the things going on. In real time, the officials couldn't possibly ensure that they spotted everything.

I would say that if you asked 10 people from GAABaord to take that video and note all of the offences that you'd have 10 different lists. While there are issues with refereeing in the GAA, it has to be accepted that officials are not omniscient and cannot be. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B