More Thuggery on the GAA field

Started by agorm, January 23, 2012, 06:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I don't know how many examples from Kerry men you need - http://kerrygaa.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=general&thread=3607&page=10#128945 - but who started it isn't important anyway.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

I think the time has come to ban Tyrone county and clubs from all competitions. Disgraceful scenes of violence are now the norm on the mean streets of Coalisland, Cookstown and Carrickmore. If they want to behave like animals open the county up as a Safari Park and invite big game hunters in for sport.

Gaabellting

Must say its disgraceful watching that video just now. Derrytresk should be thrown out of the competition for the scandalous behaviour of their subs and a few of their players. From looking at the video footage released i feel that derrytresk are completely to blame for this happening. Why did 10-15 of their subs feel the need to jump the fence because of an altercation between a player and an official. Its not as if their club official was being attacked by 2/3 players in Maroon jerseys. Looking at the clip and there is only 5 seconds between when first attempted strike is made and when all the derrytresk subs are over the hoarding. Most of these are cowards who throw a sly dig when theres a group of them attacking a few of their opponents.

Croke park need to throw the book at these sides and throw them out of the competition and put a marker down to the rest of the country that they wont tolorate this no more. Another incident like this doesnt portray a great image of Tyrone football after a number of their clubs making the headlines for all the wrong reasons

Lone Shark

As an aside, I'm not a great fan of the debate being diverted to "Tyrone clubs". Perhaps there is a cultural issue there or perhaps there isn't, to be honest it's not really relevant. This is about the actions of one club, and indeed the actions of one club in Kerry in as much as they may or may not have played a part.

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 24, 2012, 12:46:15 AM
I think the time has come to ban Tyrone county and clubs from all competitions. Disgraceful scenes of violence are now the norm on the mean streets of Coalisland, Cookstown and Carrickmore. If they want to behave like animals open the county up as a Safari Park and invite big game hunters in for sport.

It didn't take long for the intellects to get involved in this debate. Brilliant stuff there....

GAA has the problem, big or small, and not just Tyrone. It's not a regular occuramce at Derrytresk games, nor is it an irregular occuramce across the country. When we watch how the GAA deal with the issue of paying managers, it's hardly a shock that they do not have a stronger line on on/off field violence.

To blame Derrytresk, Tyrone, or Northern football, is simply ignorant of the facts and blind to the truth.
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

Lone Shark

Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on January 24, 2012, 01:20:31 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 24, 2012, 12:46:15 AM

It didn't take long for the intellects to get involved in this debate. Brilliant stuff there....

GAA has the problem, big or small, and not just Tyrone. It's not a regular occuramce at Derrytresk games, nor is it an irregular occuramce across the country. When we watch how the GAA deal with the issue of paying managers, it's hardly a shock that they do not have a stronger line on on/off field violence.

To blame Derrytresk, Tyrone, or Northern football, is simply ignorant of the facts and blind to the truth.

Sorry, but wha....?

Is this some sort of "society made me do it" kind of thing? Everybody is responsible for their own actions, and I certainly don't buy into the idea that this is all-pervasive in GAA culture.

stephenite

Quote from: ONeill on January 23, 2012, 11:29:05 PM
There's no doubt that subs/supporters should not be on the field. No one is excusing that and I'm sure the club expects punishment for that through the proper quarters. It's a massive pity this has happened as Derrytresk have no history of this at any level. They're a harmless junior club with a clean slate. Tensions ran high and the whole Kerry/Tyrone overtones were simmering and have been since the Omagh battle a few years ago.

What does stick in the throat is the abuse being levied at the Derrytresk players for their tactics, and then Tyrone/Ulster football beyond that. The first punch thrown was by a Dromid man at the man with the clipboard. Again, that doesn't excuse the incursion onto the field of the hyped-up subs and that response is regretted, no matter how exaggerated it has become.

Dromid had 2 reds and 9 yellows. The Hill had 2 yellows.

That abuse being levied at Derrytresk players for their tactics is what sticks in your throat merely highlights how far you are removed from the point that most people are trying to make.

That you believe the hyped up response of the subs has been exaggerated is quite beyond belief.

I'm not wading in here to have a go at Derrytresk, Tyrone or Ulster (the scenes from Corofin fans were equally despicable)

An an organisation the line needs to be drawn - and that line needs to be that both sides are thrown out of the All Ireland Club championship (it's the fairest way), a play off between the provincial runners up to decide who advances.

Repeat the dose to all clubs across all competitions, they'll learn soon enough.

Leo

"That response is regretted" says your man.
No...
That response is wrong and unacceptable...
Now if we can get to that human and mature level then we can look at this responsibly..
As an Ulsrerman I have to say that our siege mentality sometimes blinds us to this obvious reality.
Shame on me - and Tyrone.
Fierce tame altogether

ONeill

Quote from: stephenite on January 24, 2012, 01:59:58 AM
Quote from: ONeill on January 23, 2012, 11:29:05 PM
There's no doubt that subs/supporters should not be on the field. No one is excusing that and I'm sure the club expects punishment for that through the proper quarters. It's a massive pity this has happened as Derrytresk have no history of this at any level. They're a harmless junior club with a clean slate. Tensions ran high and the whole Kerry/Tyrone overtones were simmering and have been since the Omagh battle a few years ago.

What does stick in the throat is the abuse being levied at the Derrytresk players for their tactics, and then Tyrone/Ulster football beyond that. The first punch thrown was by a Dromid man at the man with the clipboard. Again, that doesn't excuse the incursion onto the field of the hyped-up subs and that response is regretted, no matter how exaggerated it has become.

Dromid had 2 reds and 9 yellows. The Hill had 2 yellows.

That abuse being levied at Derrytresk players for their tactics is what sticks in your throat merely highlights how far you are removed from the point that most people are trying to make.

That you believe the hyped up response of the subs has been exaggerated is quite beyond belief.

I'm not wading in here to have a go at Derrytresk, Tyrone or Ulster (the scenes from Corofin fans were equally despicable)

An an organisation the line needs to be drawn - and that line needs to be that both sides are thrown out of the All Ireland Club championship (it's the fairest way), a play off between the provincial runners up to decide who advances.

Repeat the dose to all clubs across all competitions, they'll learn soon enough.

I suggest you read my post again. I said the incursion was wrong and will be dealt with I'm sure. What do you want?  A pound of my flesh?

ONeill

I see the Irish Examiner has a few more 'revelations' today. Apparently some in the Derrytresk crowd had earpieces in which suggests it was all planned, apparently. Also, three poor Dromid players had their testicles pulled before the game.

My word.

agorm

I think the key issue in the whole escalation of the row to the brutality that ensued was the subs getting involved after no more than 5 seconds from the start of the incident. At the stage that they must have jumped from their seats the incident was no more than would happen in a number of games.
That group of subs must be identified and the book thrown at them. There were also horrific reports on the radio of a player having to take the foetal position to avoid serious injury while being stamped upon by both players and supporters. Other stories of intimidation are also very concerning for GAA supporters countrywide.

As stated by someone earlier, the GAA need to seriously buck up and sort these issues out as this type of stuff is a cancer in the association and will lead to more and more people turning their backs on the associatin, I notice less and less people that I know & work with having any interest in the GAA.

haranguerer

This is unbelievable. Anyone would think dromids bus was ambushed and they were all taken out and given a punishment beating. Beyond a joke - there was a row, both sides were involved, the derrytresk subs got involved which they shouldnt have, thats the only difference (one would wonder why the dromid subs didnt also get up to try to protect their players, but anyway, and by protect I do just mean split up the fighting).

It seems to me the rest of it has turned into an us v those nordie bullies, which in national papers is an absolute disgrace

saffron sam2

Shocking, absolutely shocking. The speed with which the Derrytresk subs became involved would suggest premeditation. And to think that the team is managed by a school master. The only option for the GAA is to ban Derrytresk from all competitions for at least a year.

The number of cards issued argument is that of a simpleton.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

AZOffaly

Quote from: haranguerer on January 24, 2012, 08:37:00 AM
This is unbelievable. Anyone would think dromids bus was ambushed and they were all taken out and given a punishment beating. Beyond a joke - there was a row, both sides were involved, the derrytresk subs got involved which they shouldnt have, thats the only difference (one would wonder why the dromid subs didnt also get up to try to protect their players, but anyway, and by protect I do just mean split up the fighting).

It seems to me the rest of it has turned into an us v those nordie bullies, which in national papers is an absolute disgrace

What does that mean? Are you suggesting the subs are cowardly for not rushing the pitch like the Derrytresk lads?

By the way I agree with your last statement. It has unpleasant undertones in the media about uncivilised Nordies. But I do not believe that is the Dromid agenda. They are disgusted with what happened on Sunday, not just in the row. To me, this is about 2 clubs, not about Tyrone, Kerry nor Ulster.

AZOffaly

Quote from: hardstation on January 24, 2012, 08:47:49 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 24, 2012, 08:40:46 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on January 24, 2012, 08:37:00 AM

What does that mean? Are you suggesting the subs are cowardly for not rushing the pitch like the Derrytresk lads?

By the way I agree with your last statement. It has unpleasant undertones in the media about uncivilised Nordies. But I do not believe that is the Dromid agenda. They are disgusted with what happened on Sunday, not just in the row. To me, this is about 2 clubs, not about Tyrone, Kerry nor Ulster.
They showed their disgust on Sunday, it seems. They had plenty of lads weighing in to throw digs "in disgust".

I see they're now on about getting their balls touched. ::)

What's next?

Bullshitters.

If what they say happened, happened, then it's out of order. Simple as that. I know you think they are whinging, and that's one point of view, but some things are just beyond the beyond on a football field. If that's deemed acceptable to you, well I suppose we just completely disagree about what is part of the game.