Bryan Cullen Joins Leinster Rugby

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 21, 2011, 09:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

no different than the rugby coaches getting jobs with the GAA teams. McGurnn at armagh
Davis girls one at Down the other at kildare.

would be great if his own county or code could reap the rewards of his knowledge, maybe in the future.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

spuds

Good luck to him, strange timing I suppose with the week that it is. A lot of these guys work with various teams and sports over a career picking up invaluable experience that can be of benefit when moving between sports.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

haranguerer

People need to live. Gaelic isnt a professional sport, it can never compete on level terms with those sports which are professional.

deiseach

It's a bit of a coup for Leinster rugby, but I don't know what the GAA are meant to do about it. Give him an equivalent job? If Leinster then offer another Dublin star the post will the GAA have to make up a job for him too?

Dinny Breen

It's a only coup in marketing terms, for 1 day, he's hardly a world renowned fitness conditioning coach with several Olympic gold medal athletes under his belt...

He has worked with Blackrock RFC, has done the IRFU courses and his PhD was in adolescent conditioning. He applied for and got the gig. In fact apart from a teacher/student it's the perfect job for playing football, as it will be flexible working hours and he will have excellent gym access..

I'm sure he will bring some ideas from football over and considering that most of the other Leinster and IRFU conditioners have athletics background, I'm sure some of these ideas will be refreshing....

Now in the future I'm sure there is a role somewhere in the GAA for a strength and conditioning GURU to come in and design a program framework that all GAA under-age development squads have work to off, maybe with the experience he'll gain from the IRFU  Bryan Cullen could be that man....

Anyhow, I'm sure the young man hasn't had a better month in a long long time....
#newbridgeornowhere

orangeman

I was looking through the programme on Sunday and whereas once upon a time it included people with "real" jobs, i.e farmers, bricklayers, plumbers, electricians etc, the Kerry and Dublin lads in the main are teachers, bankers or students. Ideal for playing football.

Changed times.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: orangeman on September 21, 2011, 02:06:07 PM
I was looking through the programme on Sunday and whereas once upon a time it included people with "real" jobs, i.e farmers, bricklayers, plumbers, electricians etc, the Kerry and Dublin lads in the main are teachers, bankers or students. Ideal for playing football.

Changed times.

You forgot Francies title, "shutterer" :D

ludermor

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 21, 2011, 03:01:35 PM
Quote from: orangeman on September 21, 2011, 02:06:07 PM

Changed times.

You forgot Francies title, "shutterer" :D
Ciaran McDonald was listed as groundworker for a good few years, didnt quite tally with the media image of a fancy dan softie!

AZOffaly

Fancy Dan Softie? McDonald? Jaysus, that is one image I'd never have had of him. That lad is a ball of muscle.

ludermor

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 21, 2011, 03:06:11 PM
Fancy Dan Softie? McDonald? Jaysus, that is one image I'd never have had of him. That lad is a ball of muscle.
He is for sure but there are load of people who would have said he was soft and a poser cause of the hair and tan. After he stood up to the Aussies a lot of people changed their opinion of him.

muppet

I don't get the poor mouth paranoia of some of the Gaa fraternity.

There is nothing to come close to the Gaa in this country, if Leinster want to try to get a piece of something by hiring Cullen then good luck to both of them. But to see it as a blow for the Gaa is simply psychotic.

Those that say the Dubs winning the All-Ireland is good for the Gaa (which seems to be universally accepted) must presume that the corollary is that the Dubs not winning from 1996-2010 was somehow not good for the Gaa. To my mind the Gaa has done pretty well in those years and in Dublin it has gone from strength to strength, particularly the hurling.

The Gaa is by a country million miles this islands foremost sporting organisation and its lead over the others is growing. While complacency wouldn't be wise obviously, paranoia doesn't do anyone any good and imho  needs to replaced by realism.
MWWSI 2017

ildanach

its just media bull shit making a story where there is none. was there such an outcry when gaa "head hunted" mike mcgurn from rugby to gaa.
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

oisinog

Was there an outcry when tommy bowe moved from playing for monaghan to playing from Ulster

Bingo

Quote from: oisinog on September 21, 2011, 04:37:12 PM
Was there an outcry when tommy bowe moved from playing for monaghan to playing from Ulster

Hardly cause he never played football for monaghan, development squad at a very young age, if that.

Nonsense story this, fair play to the lad and its his choosen profession, so more power to him and may he further his position in coming years and go to a higher level.

Think ICC is been totally over the top and unreasonable.