Bryan Cullen Joins Leinster Rugby

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 21, 2011, 09:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boojangles

A non-story. Don't know what ICC the drama queen is doing even bringing it up.
Looks to be an excellent oppurtunity for Bryan. Best of luck to him.

Jinxy

Does this mean he's going to be a professional gym monkey now?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

thejuice

Quote from: Jinxy on September 21, 2011, 10:22:19 AM
He got a job as a fitness coach working in rugby.
Don't see how it's any different than working in a bank tbh.
It's a day job, it's not like he's given up football.

Quote from: Jinxy on September 21, 2011, 12:42:55 PM
I don't get the fuss tbh.

Yeah. Christ shouldn't we just be glad a top GAA player can still get a job in the country and dont have to head off to Oz or the States.

As usual the Meath lads are the rock of sense are this board.  ;)
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

Hardy

Can I just look in and say hello at this point?

Jinxy

magpie seanie

What ICC is saying is correct. From a PR point of view this is a coup for Leinster Rugby who, lets face it, are the biggest competition to the Dubs around. I think its naive to not see that there is competition for hearts and minds there but from past experience I know many don't see it or want to see it.

IolarCoisCuain

Thanks Magpie. I though the pitch-capping wasn't far away for a while there.

There's an interview with the Chairman of the Dublin Board in the Indo today where he says Dublin didn't have a job to give Cullen. With all the coaches they have on the books, hard to believe they couldn't find room for one more.

An Cathaolach also chooses a touchingly innocent example of an Irish city where all games are equally cherished.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/the-gaa-are-not-in-a-position-to-offer-him-a-job-2884113.html

Independent.ie
'The GAA are not in a position to offer him a job'
Kettle insists Dublin could do little to prevent captain Cullen taking up Leinster rugby position

By Ruaidhri O'Connor
Thursday September 22 2011

DUBLIN County Board chairman Andy Kettle does not believe that the GAA have missed a trick in losing the skills of All-Ireland-winning captain Bryan Cullen to rugby.

The Skerries Harps man is one of the most marketable members of the Dublin squad, having become the first man from the capital to lift the Sam Maguire cup in 16 years.

But with the association in the capital looking to exploit their success last weekend, the image of Cullen wearing the harp of Leinster rather than the castle of Dublin on his tracksuit as he prepares the next generation of young rugby players is seen in some quarters as a lost opportunity.

The 27-year-old did not wish to discuss the new role he has been offered as Leinster Rugby's sub-academy fitness supremo when he paraded the Sam Maguire in front of his alma mater at Dublin City University (DCU) yesterday.

But after the spending around €2m on their inter-county teams this season, there are some involved in Dublin GAA who will see Cullen's move into rugby coaching as losing a marquee name to a rival sport.

However, Cullen is currently studying for a PhD in Exercise Physiology and is at the elite level of the strength and conditioning world after spending the best part of a decade under the tutelage of Niall Moyna in DCU.

limited

Kettle pointed out that employment opportunities within the field are limited, meaning Cullen needed to take the chance to develop his coaching skills at the elite level with Leinster.

"Not at all," Kettle said when asked if he felt Dublin GAA was losing out by the move. "Bryan Cullen is a person in the jobs market, he has a sports PhD and needs experience. He applied for a job that was advertised and we understand that he was offered that job.

"It is his chosen field and there are not that many jobs in that field. As an amateur organisation, we are not in a position to offer him that opportunity."

Leinster are not commenting on the story, but Cullen is expected to sign the contract that has been offered to him and begin his new role in the coming weeks. When he does, he will be charged with providing strength and conditioning training to the young members of Leinster's sub-academy and liaise with the coaches running underage school and club teams around the province.

Kettle does not see the GAA in Dublin as being in competition with the Heineken Cup champions, believing the two can live side-by-side, echoing the view of the province's manager Guy Easterby.

"Ireland is a sporting country," he said. "Look at Limerick city as an example where all sports live in harmony."

- Ruaidhri O'Connor

Jinxy

It's another classic example of the media generating an issue so they can write about it.
I was asked today by a lad I know that follows Leinster, "Why are the GAA so pissed off he got the job?"  ::)

IolarCoisCuain

You should have shown him this thread Jinxy.

Or else there are more people pissed off than are letting on ...

ross matt

Quote from: Jinxy on September 22, 2011, 04:45:58 PM
It's another classic example of the media generating an issue so they can write about it.
I was asked today by a lad I know that follows Leinster, "Why are the GAA so pissed off he got the job?"  ::)

Yep!

fearglasmor

Sure didnt Micky Ned teach the Springboks how to catch a ball over their head or something like that and sure wasnt it a source of great pride tha a little man from a little amateur sport like Gaelic football could teach something to them professional fellas.

IolarCoisCuain

Just so we're clear. Bryan Cullen can coach Leinster 'til the cows come home. Seeing Leo Cullen execute a correct solo is personal dream of my own.

Where the problem arises is if the captain of the All-Ireland champions is used in Leinster rugby advertising. If that happens, then the Dublin Board have a problem. That's all I'm saying. Nothing more, nothing less.

Orchardman

Have to agree with the meath lads here, its a non story in a sense that it's great for cullen that he's landed such a job. I read an interview with him back in may where he said what he was studying and that he wanted to work in a professional sport. This is the only job i can think that he could get in this country, or dublin anyway. So great news for the dublin team.

And this craic of giving him a job is nonsense. For example, down have 3 or 4 of their lads given handy coaching jobs around the school, the likes of clarke and coulter, and fair play. Cullen i would imagine didn't do a PhD for a handy wee number like that. I'm glad he's just finally working, he always seemed like one them clowns who was forever playing sigerson football. I did 5 years of messing about at uni, so i can talk!

As for rugby, it's a huge city, their is one professional sports team in the whole province, the leinster rugby team. For this there elite football counties like dublin, meath, kildare etc. There is all the room in the world for the 2 sports to co exist and everyone be happy. And I think rugby is shite despite all that!

Jinxy

Quote from: Orchardman on September 22, 2011, 10:59:11 PM
Have to agree with the meath lads here, its a non story in a sense that it's great for cullen that he's landed such a job. I read an interview with him back in may where he said what he was studying and that he wanted to work in a professional sport. This is the only job i can think that he could get in this country, or dublin anyway. So great news for the dublin team.

And this craic of giving him a job is nonsense. For example, down have 3 or 4 of their lads given handy coaching jobs around the school, the likes of clarke and coulter, and fair play. Cullen i would imagine didn't do a PhD for a handy wee number like that. I'm glad he's just finally working, he always seemed like one them clowns who was forever playing sigerson football. I did 5 years of messing about at uni, so i can talk!

As for rugby, it's a huge city, their is one professional sports team in the whole province, the leinster rugby team. For this there elite football counties like dublin, meath, kildare etc. There is all the room in the world for the 2 sports to co exist and everyone be happy. And I think rugby is shite despite all that!

Welcome aboard Orchardman.