Tom Elliott new UUP Leader

Started by Dougal Maguire, September 22, 2010, 11:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

I see Freddie Mercury, aka Harry Hamilton, has also jumped ship and is open to approaches from Alliance. Did anyone else see Tom Elliott on Hearts & Minds last night? Brutal. The Ulster Unionist Party may well sink without trace next May.

caughtredhanded

The UUP over the last number of years has been one slow moving car crash and I for one have very little sympathy. They alienated their own electorate with 'big house' Unionism and then flirted with the DUP and the tories in turn. They have no credibility as a political entity and their relevance is gone as an antidote to the DUP and its nihilism.

I also can't help being amused as to the debate on who's the most Taig friendly, my suspicion is that the GAA issue is a hobby horse for political capital. Why should we give a monkey's who would sit at the Ulster final? It never bothered us before, why now?

orangeman

The Belfast boys are not pleased with the country culchies being bussed into Belfast and trying to tell them what to do and how to do it.

caughtredhanded

Quote from: orangeman on December 03, 2010, 11:18:01 PM
The Belfast boys are not pleased with the country culchies being bussed into Belfast and trying to tell them what to do and how to do it.

Trouble is the culchies still dream of a pre '69 'Ulster' where Catholics knew their place and the 'white trash' prods followed the bowler hat brigade.

Livin' in the past that bunch, Elliott is conducting the Orange band on the deck of the Ark Royal. They're practically bust financially, another electoral catastrophe will finish them off.

orangeman

Quote from: caughtredhanded on December 03, 2010, 11:24:11 PM

Trouble is the culchies still dream of a pre '69 'Ulster' where Catholics knew their place and the 'white trash' prods followed the bowler hat brigade.

Livin' in the past that bunch, Elliott is conducting the Orange band on the deck of the Ark Royal. They're practically bust financially, another electoral catastrophe will finish them off.

Noel Thompson says that the DUP have stolen their clothes in the same way that SF did the same to SDLP.

Tom's "leadership" will not have helped them avoid another reversal at the next election.

They suspended some Belfast big noise who dared to criticise the current leadership. Not looking good for them.

Aaron Boone

So who they vote for then in Kesh, Lack or Ballinamallard?

caughtredhanded

Quote from: Aaron Boone on December 03, 2010, 11:55:42 PM

So who they vote for then in Kesh, Lack or Ballinamallard?

Good question, they will probably parade some 'great white hope' who reminds them of Harry West and his ilk only to have him humiliated at the polls by the slicker SF machine. The big house unionists still havn't fully accepted that we're all a bit more politically literate and sophisticated now. Just trotting out the stereotypical war hero with a well cultivated moustache and public school accent does not elect an MP.

I know a lot of people who traditionally voted UUP who now feel conned by their readiness to change hats when it suited.

armaghniac

QuoteSo who they vote for then in Kesh, Lack or Ballinamallard?

They won't "lack" anyone to vote for.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Maguire01

Anyone else catch Elliott's conference speech. Obama, watch your back!
Seriously dull. Although Clontibret got a mention.

amallon

Who will take over?  Kennedy or McCrea.  McCrea seems less hardline of the two. 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

theskull1

Quote from: amallon on March 09, 2012, 09:41:58 AM

Where's that Charlton Heston as Moses jpeg
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

ziggysego

Quote from: amallon on March 09, 2012, 09:41:58 AM

A lot of McCrea supporters would have left the party by now. I can see someone like, unfortunately, Mike Nesbitt taking over the party.
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

I was in contact with a former UUP member, who is now an NI Tory. He says the word is that Elliot is going to stand for Europe and Nicholson is going for the Leadership.
Testing Accessibility

Orior

Quote from: ziggysego on March 09, 2012, 12:50:26 PM
I was in contact with a former UUP member, who is now an NI Tory. He says the word is that Elliot is going to stand for Europe and Nicholson is going for the Leadership.

A picture of Tory Boy shortly before his meeting with Ziggy

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians