Official Meath Manager Thread

Started by Jinxy, September 07, 2010, 03:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boojangles

Quote from: agorm on September 08, 2010, 11:36:33 AM

Internal candidates after that:
Damien Sheridan...face might not fit but has achieved a lot with Sench

A Cavan man managing a Meath team- surely no???

That article by O Rourke surely tells a tale. Can't see Colm considering himself for the post going on that piece.

southsidejohnny

Do you honestly think O Rourke will give up his cushy number with the Sunday Game where both he and Brolly are always right no matter what? Give up a handy number like that to be put through the same type of crap most managers are subjected to by the experts. Colm is too wise for that. Ever imagine Brolly as a manager either?

demusicman

A very accurate report by Colm O Rourke of  how things are in Meath Football at the moment.
Lets remind ourselves [anyone old enough to remember]of how low and backward football was in Meath when Sean Boylan took over. His success was second to none. As Colm stated "And there is tradition of winning too -- even if Seán Boylan often managed it despite, not because of, the system."
Eamonn Barry and now Eamonn O Brien have all fallen because of "The System". The only other recent manager since Boylan -Colm Coyle resigned.Does this not also raise questions about "The System".
As far as can be gathered nobody from outside the county will be appointed for financial reasons. Yes Meath County Board do not wish to have a paid manager. I recall the Luke Dempsey incident.His anticapated appointment never materialised again because of "The System."
Meath County Board or Clubs are not entirely to blame but I question"THE MERIT OF THE SYSTEM"

Mike Sheehy

ARRRGGH...the system...the sssyyyyysssssttteeemmmmmmm....

The Borg..aka Meath county board

JMohan

Meath apparently approached Seamus McEnaney!
;D ;D

demusicman

Anybody offering odds on who will be next Meath Manager?
They may have saw the light.Nobody better than Eamonn O Brien around. It will only be someone from within the county. No manager in Meath will be paid for the foreseeable future.
My money is on O Brien to be returned with a damaged Halo.

agorm

Quote from: demusicman on September 15, 2010, 03:27:19 PM
Anybody offering odds on who will be next Meath Manager?
They may have saw the light.Nobody better than Eamonn O Brien around. It will only be someone from within the county. No manager in Meath will be paid for the foreseeable future.
My money is on O Brien to be returned with a damaged Halo.
I cannot see that tbh. While I was surprised at his removal I feel his return at the moment would be too divisive. It really is open as to his replacement. I am not one for saying that it must be a meathman. While it would be advantageous for a Meathman in that the passion for the county would be there and they would probably know many of the players I just want the best overall with all factors included.
A selection panel should be formed as suggested by Colm O' Rourke including people like Sean Boylan, O'Rourke and McEntee with the objective of getting the best person taking into consideration the type of player that is available.

demusicman

Agorm
As things stand nobody from outside the county will be appointed. Financial rewards will not be offered therefore eliminating anybody from the outside. May I remind you of the Luke Dempsey and Big Joe [oops Kernan] incident.That is the executive thinking on management in Meath. We have to accept this like it or lump it.

thejuice

My take on it is this, Colm O'Rourke went to the county board I believe after Eamon Barry was dismissed. He had a list of changes that needed to be made to the county set up before he would consider taking the job. The county board replied that they would love to make those changes but simply couldn't afford to. What those changes were I have no idea but it would be easy to speculate.

Now that was a few years ago and after Colm Coyle called it quits after the Limerick debacle O'Rourkes name was once again in the melting pot but he did the same as he has done now, saying now is not the time etc etc. Well I suppose we seem to be resigned to the fact that Colm will get the job whenever he decides its time, though does his record merit it is another matter.

But whats starting to grate with me about Colm is that whatever his proposals were he should be putting pressure on the county board to get these things done, especially at a time like now. It just seems to me that the irons hot but Colm's not lifted  the hammer to strike. If he is passionate about Meath GAA, why is he still with one arse cheek on the fence. Time is of the essence for both players and GAA people in the county, what is Colm waiting for exactly? Is it for someone else to start the revolution for him so he can step in and claim the throne so to speak.

Now maybe there's a lot that's being done that I don't see and if that's the case, fine I'd gladly be wrong about it. But we had Gerry McEntee getting people in from Kilkenny, Tyrone and Kerry to give a talk on what they were doing in their counties (i.e. underage development, academies, Club Tyrone etc.)  that brought success and see if the same could be done in Meath. I don't know if much came about it but it was something and we need more of it, and we need GAA people taking things into their own hands (things like Club Tyrone) as we might be waiting a long time for this county board to put anything in place.

So Colm and others, what exactly are you waiting for?? A time for working together in action rather than talking.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

JMohan

Good post Juice ...

Quote from: thejuice on September 16, 2010, 10:59:29 AM
My take on it is this, Colm O'Rourke went to the county board I believe after Eamon Barry was dismissed. He had a list of changes that needed to be made to the county set up before he would consider taking the job. The county board replied that they would love to make those changes but simply couldn't afford to. What those changes were I have no idea but it would be easy to speculate.

I don't believe that the Meath CB haven't money or can't raise it - so don't believe that.

Now that was a few years ago and after Colm Coyle called it quits after the Limerick debacle O'Rourkes name was once again in the melting pot but he did the same as he has done now, saying now is not the time etc etc. Well I suppose we seem to be resigned to the fact that Colm will get the job whenever he decides its time, though does his record merit it is another matter.

- Would he get it?
- Is he really good enough to get?

But whats starting to grate with me about Colm is that whatever his proposals were he should be putting pressure on the county board to get these things done, especially at a time like now. It just seems to me that the irons hot but Colm's not lifted  the hammer to strike. If he is passionate about Meath GAA, why is he still with one arse cheek on the fence. Time is of the essence for both players and GAA people in the county, what is Colm waiting for exactly? Is it for someone else to start the revolution for him so he can step in and claim the throne so to speak.

Does he really want it?

Now maybe there's a lot that's being done that I don't see and if that's the case, fine I'd gladly be wrong about it. But we had Gerry McEntee getting people in from Kilkenny, Tyrone and Kerry to give a talk on what they were doing in their counties (i.e. underage development, academies, Club Tyrone etc.)  that brought success and see if the same could be done in Meath. I don't know if much came about it but it was something and we need more of it, and we need GAA people taking things into their own hands (things like Club Tyrone) as we might be waiting a long time for this county board to put anything in place.

What was that?

So Colm and others, what exactly are you waiting for?? A time for working together in action rather than talking.

It'll never happen.
Too much work and too much to lose.

thejuice

QuoteBarry coy over Meath return

Eamon Barry has refused to be drawn on whether he will allow his name to go forward for the vacant Meath football manager's post.

Barry, who consistently ran against Sean Boylan before eventually getting the job in 2006 (his term lasted for just one season), has been linked with a return to the position following Eamon O'Brien's shock sacking earlier this month.

"I've still to decide on whether or not to allow my own name to go forward. I've always had a 'never say die' attitude in that regard," he said.

"Despite firmly believing I can get Meath to an All-Ireland final given the chance, I haven't made up my mind on it yet."

Barry, who led Dunshaughlin to a Leinster club title in 2003, doesn't expect Eamon O'Brien to reapply for the post.

"My gut feeling is that, after everything Eamon O'Brien has been through in recent weeks, he will not contest it.

"I do feel certain sympathy for him. But if he does allow his name to go forward, then form what I'm hearing in Meath, the job will be his again."

I like his confidence. Give the man the job. He shouldn't have been shown the door the first time around anyway. Just stood on too many toes of the County board. 

Read this morning that clubs are nominating Eamonn O'Brien again. Now to be honest I don't think Eamonn will put his name forward again. If he does fair play to him but I know I'd be more than a little bit reluctant if I was him.

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

agorm

I would hope that O'Brien doesnt go forward again. He might feel hard done by and , in a way, he has but I think there are enough flaws in abilities not to give him another run.

Eamonn Barry would be a decent option.

JMohan

What has Barry done since the last time he was in charge of the county?

Jinxy

Oh jesus, do not let Eamonn Barry near the job FFS.  :o
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Any craic