Official Meath Manager Thread

Started by Jinxy, September 07, 2010, 03:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 14, 2010, 12:51:05 PM

My question wasn't in relation to getting paid for every hour, but to get an idea of how many hours a county manager spends each week on a job. In that respect, travel, match days, training, media work etc all count. I'd imagine you could get fairly close to 35-40 hours once the season is in full swing.
Going by what John O'Mahony had to say on the subject, the figures could be considerably higher.
If you were to count in the time a manager spends texting and phoning players, fellow selectors and so on, the number of hours shoots upwards. Obviously, that would also include the time spent dealing with calls and texts he receives.
I'd imagine that most if not all managers spend a fair bit of time attending club matches and the likes gauging players' form and on the look out for new talent.
All in all, I think a typical manager spends 50 hours or more in the line of duty.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

lynchbhoy

...while its not factored in, you can bet your life that the managers are spending most of their waking day thinking about the team, the players, the selections, what happened in last game/training, injuries ,attitudes, etc etc.
cant sleep for thinking about these things and apart from a few lucky men, most managers get dogs abuse ....
40-50 hours a week...not even close i'd say...

Real Talk

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 13, 2010, 06:19:29 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on November 12, 2010, 10:03:25 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on November 12, 2010, 07:16:41 PM

Still so confident in that view after reading the Independent's article? It doesn't look like anyone's making a killing out of that. From the €11k/month, €2k to a physio, take away mileage and subsistence for four members of the team, phone charges etc...

Mileage?? Using the outside limits i.e this is likely to be significantly more than the actual cost; say 100 mile each (average) for the 4 (its like f**king entourage) members of the team, 4 times a week, at the rate of (is it still 45c?) say 50c per mile: thats about 3.5k absolute maximum. Add 2k for physio, and you're left with a £5.5k per month for feeds and phone chargers. They better buy their tracksuits a size bigger than they are now.

And this is just what we know about. Although, hold on, did that article say that was all they were getting? Did a co board man deny under the counter payments? Did the banty talk shite at a press conference? None of which is new, and none of which is reliable.
Mileage is 60c/mile, not that it makes that much of a difference to your calculations. So yes, they'll get a decent return for their work, but it has moved on a bit from earlier analysis suggesting Banty would be pocketing a grand a week.

In the North of Ireland mileage is 35p per mile.   How does the cost of fuel differ in the two parts of Ireland?  It would seem that there is an equality issue with the Northern players coming out second best,nothing to do with the Meath job though, something for the GPA to look into. Maybe they have given up on player welfare North of the Border!!!!!!

Maguire01

Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 15, 2010, 01:50:37 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on November 14, 2010, 12:51:05 PM

My question wasn't in relation to getting paid for every hour, but to get an idea of how many hours a county manager spends each week on a job. In that respect, travel, match days, training, media work etc all count. I'd imagine you could get fairly close to 35-40 hours once the season is in full swing.
Going by what John O'Mahony had to say on the subject, the figures could be considerably higher.
If you were to count in the time a manager spends texting and phoning players, fellow selectors and so on, the number of hours shoots upwards. Obviously, that would also include the time spent dealing with calls and texts he receives.
I'd imagine that most if not all managers spend a fair bit of time attending club matches and the likes gauging players' form and on the look out for new talent.
All in all, I think a typical manager spends 50 hours or more in the line of duty.

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 15, 2010, 04:33:24 PM
...while its not factored in, you can bet your life that the managers are spending most of their waking day thinking about the team, the players, the selections, what happened in last game/training, injuries ,attitudes, etc etc.
cant sleep for thinking about these things and apart from a few lucky men, most managers get dogs abuse ....
40-50 hours a week...not even close i'd say...

As I had thought. the 'part-time job' jibes are well off the mark.

haranguerer

Anonymous posters opinions good enough for you now?   :P

Noones doubting it takes a lot of time, as it does playing and preparing yourself for playing. Are you saying they should be paid? And if so, that they should be paid for the hours they're thinking about their job? Just curious like...

Maguire01

Quote from: haranguerer on November 15, 2010, 09:38:21 PM

Noones doubting it takes a lot of time, as it does playing and preparing yourself for playing. Are you saying they should be paid? And if so, that they should be paid for the hours they're thinking about their job? Just curious like...
I was thinking about my job earlier. I doubt i'll get paid for it.

I don't expect 'thinking time' to be 'on the clock'. Nor was I debating the pros and cons of payment. Just the notion that being a county manager could be considered 'part time'.

haranguerer

It might be more pertinent to consider whether its is a 'job', part-time or not.

Maguire01

Quote from: haranguerer on November 15, 2010, 10:50:56 PM
It might be more pertinent to consider whether its is a 'job', part-time or not.
Call it what you want - he has a 'job' to do... whether it's considered a 'proper job' or not... if it is, i'm sure 90% of managers are in a 'job'.

DB_An_Mhi

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 15, 2010, 10:43:05 PM

I don't expect 'thinking time' to be 'on the clock'. Nor was I debating the pros and cons of payment. Just the notion that being a county manager could be considered 'part time'.

If a person has a regular (paying) day job, while managing a county team, well then it follows that it is a part-time role. It may take up many long hours ... on call 24/7, but it is still part-time (and a labour of love at that).

It depends on the county, expectations and levels of success. Some counties year is three months shorter than others.

Ultimately, it is a very demanding role that only really suits someone with a easy enough day job or none at all. Or a school teacher, who has a summer break during most of the championship season, when the pressure really builds.

Hound

Quote from: haranguerer on November 12, 2010, 01:11:12 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on November 12, 2010, 12:00:41 PM
Interesting article.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/how-the-numbers-added-up-for-banty-2417422.html

So despite planning savings of

Jerseys                 £5,000 (which is a bit of a joke, and I massively doubt will actually happen)
Masseuse              £8,000 (which if a player wants, he'll get)
Out of hrs physio   £12,000 (which is bollocks btw, if players are anyway injured theres no way they'll be waiting for the usual sessions)
Trip abroad          £30,000
                          £55,000

Meath have to pay an extra £24,000, and you think its a great deal?

Do you wanna buy a dvd player???

Ignoring physios etc, the crux of it is that the cost of Barry and his team was €20,000, whereas the cost of Banty and his team will be €75,000.

The difference will be mostly funded by players giving up some of their indirect benefits, i.e. their trip to Spain, and holding onto jersies.
Wonder will this grate with the players, or will they not give a hoot?

Also another €20-€25k will have to be raised to cover the balance and Banty is said to be helping out with this. Will the players be asked to do extra-curricular work to fund the payments to the new manager? Presumably not, as I can imagine that would definitely tick them off.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 15, 2010, 10:43:05 PM
thats not limited to county management posts - indeed it could be argued that an ordinary club manager or even a junior team manager in a club has to spend more time thinking and working behind the scenes as they have less assistence- and often on the part of junior managers - have to try to conjure up players on a weekly basis when you know some of your team are going off  on a stag do/trip to england to see a soccer match/wedding etc etc - I've 'unretired' dozens of lads in the past due to this !

Most football/hurling team managers in the country dont get a penny - but it costs them a fair bit out of their own pocket during the season !

Louth Exile

Apparently Banty has met with Meath squad for the first time and it went something like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYBj_qAJtRA
;)
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

demusicman

Quote from: Louth Exile on November 18, 2010, 02:41:23 PM
Apparently Banty has met with Meath squad for the first time and it went something like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYBj_qAJtRA
;)
VERY FUNNY.
sure it took a Louth man to post this ;D
I presume when you say "up the Joes" in your caption you are referring to that now famous goal  from earlier in the summer :o