Harte's book-

Started by longrunsthefox, October 10, 2009, 03:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

It's interesting to note Hartes anticipated tactics for this game had Cavanagh been 100% fit and ready to start. He wanted Cavanagh and Mc Ginley to switch roles with Cavanagh playing the more ortodox midfielder and Enda playing a more roving role between HF and Midfield. Would have been interesting to have seen this in action.

BennyHarp

Quote from: omagh_gael on October 22, 2009, 12:45:22 PM
It's interesting to note Hartes anticipated tactics for this game had Cavanagh been 100% fit and ready to start. He wanted Cavanagh and Mc Ginley to switch roles with Cavanagh playing the more ortodox midfielder and Enda playing a more roving role between HF and Midfield. Would have been interesting to have seen this in action.

Then we can probably understand Harte's frustration when the keystone to his team tactics comes and tells him he may not be fit to play the morning of the game!
That was never a square ball!!

Overthebar!

anyone going to type this book up and put it online for the rest of us?

Qwerty28

"word has it...."

As in you made that up yourself.....

Main Street

Will there be an audio version of the book, read by the man himself?

Main Street

Mickey is the Pat Kenny radio show now.
Doing the best he can.

T O Hare

Good enough read but i enjoyed his first book better!!!!!!!!!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Zapatista

Pleasantly surprised by this book. I really enjoyed it. I actually began to like Harte the person during it, that's a turrnaround for me.

Fuzzman

Tell us more Zap.
Did you not like him before and what changes yer mind in the book.

Zapatista

Quote from: Fuzzman on October 28, 2009, 11:22:27 AM
Tell us more Zap.
Did you not like him before and what changes yer mind in the book.

I come from a long line of Harte skeptics and I keep some of them in my company often. I was never a fan of him using Tyrone to feed his ego and personal ambition. I now think his ego and ambition fed Tyrone and led to winning.

The rumour mill has never stopped since he took over and I often give the rumours credit but Harte deals with a lot of them well. He asks simple questions I never tought of to dispel some rumours. Some of the football decisions he made over the last number of years which i had issue with are dealt with too. Usually backed up with statistics I can't argue with.

I had an opinion of him as a person as someone who should be judged on his deeds rather than words. The media seem to follow much of what he says rather than what he does. I thought he was portrayed wrong in the media but he just seems to have a calculated approach to everything and everyone.   

I don't think there was anything too controversial in the book. It was an easy read and left me with plenty to think about. There are parts of it that seem like a 'self help book' dressed up as a sports book but I guess that part of Harte's approach to life.

Ogie84

Took this book on holidays with me last week and loved it. Far more interesting and insightful than many other similar type sports books I have read in the past.

Fuzzman

Can't say I'm surprised to hear you say that its more of a self help type of book cos I could spot that theme in the last one also.
Found myself comparing his way of handling people & situations and trying to apply it to myself

So you've sold it to me to buy it now rather than wait for someone to get it for me for Christmas.

Archie Mitchell

Just finished it today myself. A very good read and a must read for any serious GAA fan. It's hard to describe what type of person Mickey is after reading it, but one thing for sure is not many can doubt him. Mentions a few good light hearted moments within the squad as well that you wouldn't normally hear when he talks about Hubs hats, Hub singing Boyzone songs, Horse going mad before the U-21 final etc. What struck me was the amount of praise he has for Horse. He said he had an enormous influence on the team when he was and wasn't playing, and if he had more pace he would have been the best defender about. He also has high hopes for Mulgrew and said it's only a matter of time before he starts to deliver on his potential.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on October 28, 2009, 04:19:01 PM
He also has high hopes for Mulgrew and said it's only a matter of time before he starts to deliver on his potential.

Would be my sentiment too, if a little tardy with the delivering of it.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Zapatista

Horse is held highly. I think he fitted into that team Harte saw as 'perfection' at the time. I think it was a case of Horse being a the right 'Horse for a course' at the time but once that was found out he had to make way.