Harte's book-

Started by longrunsthefox, October 10, 2009, 03:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caid

Quote from: Caid on November 03, 2009, 01:14:37 AM
Quote from: Sandy Hill on November 02, 2009, 12:38:23 PM
I know that this isn't about his book, but Harte gave an interview to the "Money" section of yesterday's Sunday Times.   His answer to the question "How many credit or debit cards do you have?" was "I have 3; one for a southern bank, one for a northern one and a credit card. There is a wee Padre Pio relic there too". Strange answer I thought.
He also says in the interview that he had £50 on Tyrone at 33/1 for last year's AI - nice!

At what stage last year did he get 33-1?  I don't think they were even that far out after the Down game?

My bad "Kerry may be favourites for a third successive title but Tyrone have already upset the odds, having been written off as 33-1 outsiders at one point."

Picture from the paper worth looking at http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/tyrone-fans-are-painting-the-town-red-and-white-13979079.html
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

omagh_gael

Just finshed the book, a very enjoyable read. Sometimes got a wee bit tedious with the mantras from other sporting 'philosophers' but didn't dtract too much overall. I, like others, was surprised by how much regard horse devlin was held by Mickey.

Also highlights how some 'fans' can be such scumbags at times, particularly the fella who ran up and give him a load of abuse following the game against Laois, what did he expect an AI with half a team crocked? Also surprised there was no mention of the abuse after 08 game v down in the marshes.

Looking forward to seeing if raymie mulgrew can push on this year and nail a spot down, he appears to be firmly in the plans and was very close to packing it all in at one Stage this year.

Again, a very good read with a lot of interesting insights a lot of ridiculous rumours laid to rest and challenges laid down to squad players for next year as he states that people will lose their place in the squad to bring in fresh faces.

ONeill

Just finished it, and skimmed it again to make sure I wasn't misinterpretating it.

Positives:

Very open with tactics, ideas, thoughts on players and staff.
I loved the philosophical stuff and will read further on those he mentioned
Liked the unique narrative. 2009-2008-youth to now - interspersed with this year again.
Very readable.
Clever man

Negatives.

Very sore on Paddy Tally, 'The Disease of Me'
Veiled criticism of a few of his players for non-footballing reasons.
Too, what's the word, messiah-like in all his life experiences - almost without fault whilst others are.

All-in-all I found it unputdownable for a couple of days. I'm not comfortable with his refusal to admit to mistakes (that working harder thing doesn't count) but he's still, by far, thee most influential man in the history of Tyrone GAA and tries to do what's best the majority of times. The Glencull story doesn't read too well on his behalf and I totally abhor his treatment of Tally in the book when Paddy has no real right to replay.

All-in-all - get it.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Puckoon

O'Neill, I dont know if this thread matters if you throw a spoiler up, but my copy isnt getting here til christmas

Whats the lowdown on the tally story if you could condense it for us?

The suspenders have been killing me ever since Paddy Tally left the set up.

ONeill

The jist is this:

Mickey begins the chapter on 2004 talking about some life philosopher who writes about the 'Disease of me', i.e someone who thinks that their opinion/worth can rise from 20% input to 80% after a successful event. He then coldly moves on to Paddy Tally. To summarise, Paddy (according to MH) was talking to players about tactics and line-ups which was outside of his remit. Mickey began to take tighter control of training affairs as he didn't trust PT and after a few aborted attempts in September, he finally told Tally his services were not needed. It was probably the coldest, and most calculated, example we have to describe Mickey's single-mindedness in the book.

I think you can infer who Tally was talking about.

Puckoon

Thanks.

Dont think there was ever any doubt as to the mans ruthless streak to get the job done.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on November 07, 2009, 12:44:49 AM
The jist is this:

Mickey begins the chapter on 2004 talking about some life philosopher who writes about the 'Disease of me', i.e someone who thinks that their opinion/worth can rise from 20% input to 80% after a successful event. He then coldly moves on to Paddy Tally. To summarise, Paddy (according to MH) was talking to players about tactics and line-ups which was outside of his remit. Mickey began to take tighter control of training affairs as he didn't trust PT and after a few aborted attempts in September, he finally told Tally his services were not needed. It was probably the coldest, and most calculated, example we have to describe Mickey's single-mindedness in the book.

I think you can infer who Tally was talking about.
Remember it being mentioned on a course. Think it is by former Lakers coach Pat Riley.

Minder

Correct Tony

Pat Riley charts the "Seven Danger Signals of the Disease of Me." Here they are:

Inexperience in dealing with sudden success.
Chronic feelings of underappreciation.
Paranoia over being cheated out of one's rightful share.
Resentment against the competence of partners.
Personal effort mustered solely to outshine a teammate.
A leadership vacuum resulting from the formation of cliques and rivalries.
Feelings of frustration even when the team performs successfully.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

longrunsthefox

I have a lot of reservations about Harte's ruthlessness, ego, content of his books, newspaper columns, what he did on Cavanagh etc but if the choice is someone
everyone loves who can't win an All Ireland or Harte with his way of going on, well, so be it... I've enjoyed Sam coming here three times since he took over. Can't have it both ways it seems....   

ONeill

The county board deserve a lot of praise for appointing him in '91 despite practically falling out with him for much of the previous decade! They saw in him what we are reaping as supporters now. Thank God Mickey 'respects our ignorance'!!!

Zapatista

Quote from: longrunsthefox on November 07, 2009, 10:13:38 AM
I have a lot of reservations about Harte's ruthlessness, ego, content of his books, newspaper columns, what he did on Cavanagh etc but if the choice is someone
everyone loves who can't win an All Ireland or Harte with his way of going on, well, so be it... I've enjoyed Sam coming here three times since he took over. Can't have it both ways it seems....   

Exactly. Who cares if he's a p***k.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: ONeill on November 07, 2009, 10:35:16 AM
The county board deserve a lot of praise for appointing him in '91 despite practically falling out with him for much of the previous decade! They saw in him what we are reaping as supporters now. Thank God Mickey 'respects our ignorance'!!!

Aye, statements like that from him can be very nausiating.

ONeill

I see he's a big fan of Anthony De Mello, a man almost outlawed by the present Pope!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on November 07, 2009, 01:25:21 PM
I see he's a big fan of Anthony De Mello, a man almost outlawed by the present Pope!
I find the whole mysticism and psychobabble thing very strange for an "ordinary man" from Tyrone. Is it real or does he surround himself in this so he can coin it in as a motivational speaker?

ONeill

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 07, 2009, 02:58:35 PM
Quote from: ONeill on November 07, 2009, 01:25:21 PM
I find the whole mysticism and psychobabble thing very strange for an "ordinary man" from Tyrone. Is it real or does he surround himself in this so he can coin it in as a motivational speaker?

Personally, I'm into that shit too.