Harte's book-

Started by longrunsthefox, October 10, 2009, 03:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: goal and a point on October 12, 2009, 01:54:06 PM
Can anyone post sunday times extract from yesteday?

ardmhacaabu won't mind typing it up, he can't get enough of it, apparently.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

Mickey seems to be drawing those conclusions. It seems that Sean looked out-of-sorts and Mickey then proceeds to write about the pressure he was under with the GPA responsibility, wedding plans, etc. To be fair, as Mickey states, Sean has played in almost every major occasion from the age of 19 for Tyrone seniors so it wasn't a question of bottle.

Not stirring here, but I thought it was an odd tale to tell so soon - don't know how Sean would feel about it.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

On the day, when the announcement broke (the starting team), I had a feeling that something wasn't quite right. Perhaps it was the absence beforehand of any intimations or rumblings, but the fact that he came on as a sub in the second half and was our major scoring threat only served to confirm those misgivings.

He's only human, and no surprise that it might all be a little overwhelming from time to time. MH knows what he's at I'd say, and the big lad will be all out to make blistering amends in 2010.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on October 12, 2009, 02:43:02 PM
QuotePerhaps it was the absence beforehand of any intimations or rumblings

Very wrong.

Rephrased: Perhaps it was the absence beforehand of any general intimations or rumblings (may have been different for clubmates).

longrunsthefox

Whatever was wrong with Sean, he was main reason we won All Ireland in 2008 and was a massive loss against Cork. He has give Tyrone so much... BUT that GPA position does him no good and was such a distraction. Dessie and the GPA were using his profile big time. Have it on good authority another leading Tyrone player hung up the phone when he was called to spaek for them. He did right.  Sean would be best to concentrate on football as Tyrone boys are well looked after.     

SidelineKick

I'd be even more concerned at them charging for an underage presentation night  :)
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Final Whistle

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on October 12, 2009, 03:52:04 PM
As much as I abhor the GPA, I dont think it is any of our business to decide what players do in their own free time - if it was affecting his preparations/training etc then it would concern me - I'd be more concerned with players going out and drinking the heads of themselves.

Or getting poleaxed and writing grafitti on local houses.... >:( >:( >:(

longrunsthefox

As much as I abhor the GPA, I dont think it is any of our business to decide what players do in their own free time - if it was affecting his preparations/training etc then it would concern me - I'd be more concerned with players going out and drinking the heads of themselves.

Harte mentions his GPA involvement as one of the pressures on Sean before Cork game... so, guess it is our business. As well his GPA involvement is very much our business as members of the GAA.

Main Street

Blame the GPA?
Good for Mickey to slip that one in a context, the move of a cute hoor.

johnpower

Quote from: Final Whistle on October 12, 2009, 03:56:16 PM

Or getting poleaxed and writing grafitti on local houses.... >:( >:( >:(

Tell us more please

saffron sam2

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 11, 2009, 09:44:48 PM
Imagine how boring it might otherwise have been had we only won one, measly, pathetic SAM! ::) :P

A valid, if poorly thought out point.  Is this the boring, one, measly, pathetic SAM book to which you refer?

http://www.amazon.com/Kicking-Down-Heavens-Door-Football/dp/0954661613
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: saffron sam2 on October 12, 2009, 08:02:16 PM
Imagine how boring it might otherwise have been had we only won one, measly, pathetic SAM! ::) :P

A valid, if poorly thought out point.  Is this the boring, one, measly, pathetic SAM book to which you refer?

Get with the times, you're six years out of date (in relation to the subject of this discussion). Well thought out, eh?

saffron sam2

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 12, 2009, 08:23:31 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on October 12, 2009, 08:02:16 PM

Get with the times, you're six years out of date (in relation to the subject of this discussion). Well thought out, eh?

Yes. Your original point appears to refer to books about teams that won only one All-Ireland. I gave you such an example. The six years and two All-Ireland titles won by Tyrone after the publication of the book are irrelevant to both my point and your original one.

Hope this helps.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: saffron sam2 on October 12, 2009, 08:28:30 PM
Yes. Your original point appears to refer to books about teams that won only one All-Ireland. I gave you such an example. The six years and two All-Ireland titles won by Tyrone after the publication of the book are irrelevant to both my point and your original one.

Hope this helps.

It seems you're hopelessly confused again. Let me help (again): MH is writing a book about his time as manager of Tyrone, all the way from the Minors, to U21, and finally to Seniors, during which time he has accumulated 1 Minor All-Ireland, 2 U21 All-Irelands, and 3 Senior All-Irelands. If in all that time he'd only won one Senior, you may indeed have had a point. But he didn't, so you haven't.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 12, 2009, 08:34:17 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on October 12, 2009, 08:28:30 PM

Hope this helps.

It seems you're hopelessly confused again. Let me help (again): MH is writing a book about his time as manager of Tyrone, all the way from the Minors, to U21, and finally to Seniors, during which time he has accumulated 1 Minor All-Ireland, 2 U21 All-Irelands, and 3 Senior All-Irelands. If in all that time he'd only won one Senior, you may indeed have had a point. But he didn't, so you haven't.

You appear to be the one who is confused. I am not talking about the new book. You mentioned how boring a book would be if a team had only won one All-Ireland. I highlighted a possible example, written after a team won one All-Ireland. That the bulk of that squad have stayed together and won another tworemains irrelevant to my counterpoint to your original flawed point. Are you saying Knocking Down Heaven's Door was boring from 2003 to 2005 and as soon as Brian Dooher lifted Sam in '05 it was no longer boring?

Strange.