Harte's book-

Started by longrunsthefox, October 10, 2009, 03:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: saffron sam2 on October 12, 2009, 08:42:07 PM
You appear to be the one who is confused. I am not talking about the new book. You mentioned how boring a book would be if a team had only won one All-Ireland.

Wrong (still), look back at my original remark, it's plain English, and was in relation to the immediately preceding discourse, which was about this particular book of Harte's, which covers a good few years. Swap you a fork for that spade?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

saffron sam2

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 12, 2009, 08:46:31 PM
Wrong (still), look back at my original remark, it's plain English, and was in relation to the immediately preceding discourse, which was about this particular book of Harte's, which covers a good few years. Swap you a fork for that spade?

Yes, you claim this particular book of Harte's would have been boring had it been about a single All-Ireland win. I give you an example of a different book of Harte's about a single All-Ireland win. By extrapolating the logic in your original point it is fair to assume that you consider the original book a somewhat boring tome.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

saffron sam2

Quote from: hardstation on October 12, 2009, 09:03:03 PM
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=14075.0

He still hasn't forgiven me for standing him up in the Fruithill bowling club. Truth is I took one look at his sandals and turned on my heels.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: saffron sam2 on October 12, 2009, 09:00:21 PM

Yes, you claim this particular book of Harte's would have been boring had it been about a single All-Ireland win.

Bravo, well grasped.

I give you an example of a different book of Harte's about a single All-Ireland win. By extrapolating the logic in your original point it is fair to assume that you consider the original book a somewhat boring tome.
That's not extrapolating, since the subject of the discussion was well defined, that's going off at a tangent. And as it happens, that other book you refer to wasn't boring, no matter how much you would really, really like it to be. It's possible to win SAM only once in any given year.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: hardstation on October 12, 2009, 09:12:55 PM
He was on his holidays to Bil-fast. A bum bag with him too.

You feckers have the tree-hugger for an MP, not me.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 12, 2009, 09:14:05 PM

Yes, you claim this particular book of Harte's would have been boring had it been about a single All-Ireland win.

Bravo, well grasped.

A tad clumsy on my part. The Yes refers to the first part of your post, not as it may appear to your swapping question. Apologies for the ambiguity.

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 12, 2009, 09:14:05 PM
I give you an example of a different book of Harte's about a single All-Ireland win. By extrapolating the logic in your original point it is fair to assume that you consider the original book a somewhat boring tome.
That's not extrapolating, since the subject of the discussion was well defined, that's going off at a tangent. And as it happens, that other book you refer to wasn't boring, no matter how much you would really, really like it to be. It's possible to win SAM only once in any given year.

A hypothetical question then, not sure if it is tangential, but had Harte's book detailing his entire playing / managerial career been released in 2003 or 2004, would you have considered it boring?

Personally, I would prefer that neither book was seen as boring. Mickey Harte's life in the GAA would certainly be one of the more interesting and has the potential to be a really fascinating read.

Tell you what, when ONeill is finished with his, I'll read it. Then I'll let you know if it's boring or not. As I have said above the excerpts so far have surprised me.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: saffron sam2 on October 12, 2009, 09:26:23 PM
A hypothetical question then, not sure if it is tangential, but had Harte's book detailing his entire playing / managerial career been released in 2003 or 2004, would you have considered it boring?
No, probably not, since he had a Minor All-Ireland, 2 U21s, and 1 Senior at that point. Plus, there was the whole shenanigans about the fall out with the County Board and being without a club for those years (7, I think), which would be interesting, in a parochial kind of way. But if I were from, say, Armagh, it's quite possible that I'd find it boring (hypothetically of course).

Quote from: saffron sam2 on October 12, 2009, 09:26:23 PM
Tell you what, when ONeill is finished with his, I'll read it. Then I'll let you know if it's boring or not. As I have said above the excerpts so far have surprised me.

That'll  do.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on October 12, 2009, 09:38:35 PM
But if I were from, say, Armagh, it's quite possible that I'd find it boring (hypothetically of course).

:D
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Rav67

Can't believe Harte has relased this book while still manager.  This is a huge mistake by someone who is obviously otherwise fairly intelligent.  Players just wont be able to trust him after this.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Rav67 on October 12, 2009, 11:16:37 PM
Can't believe Harte has relased this book while still manager.  This is a huge mistake by someone who is obviously otherwise fairly intelligent. Players just wont be able to trust him after this.

Good point he had exactly the same bother after his last book. He only won two All-Irelands!

Bensars

Can't believe Harte has relased this book while still manager.  This is a huge mistake by someone who is obviously otherwise fairly intelligent.  Players just wont be able to trust him after this.

"well young fella, we would like you to join the Tyrone senior Panel"

"Sorry, Mickey, i will have to decline as a result of these book releases, i just dont trust you !" ::) ::) ::) ::)

Master Yoda

Quote from: Bensars on October 13, 2009, 09:55:04 AM

"well young fella, we would like you to join the Tyrone senior Panel"

"Sorry, Mickey, i will have to decline as a result of these book releases, i just dont trust you !" ::) ::) ::) ::)

Rav67 is right and you Tryone rednecks can roll your eyes all you want but anyone with an ounce of sense knows its bad form to release a book while you are still involved with a team, some people would even believe that it is bad form to ever release details of how you have built the bonds friendship, trust, togetherness and respect but sure aif theres a pound in it.
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering

mick999

I see that the Indo have picked up on this today ...
Don't think Sean will be too happy to see this in his book ...

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/revelations-put-harte-on-collision-course-with-cavanagh-1911503.html

Revelations put Harte on collision course with Cavanagh
Tuesday October 13 2009

Tyrone manager Mickey Harte could be on a minor collision course with his star player Sean Cavanagh over the reasons for his non-start in this year's All-Ireland semi-final defeat to Cork.

Cavanagh did not feature in the game until the last 20 minutes when Tyrone were chasing a lead Harte's charges just weren't going to overturn.

At the time, it was understood that the 2008 Footballer of the Year had withdrawn because of a stomach bug.

But in his autobiography, to be released this week, Harte offers a different perspective on that morning, suggesting "the roof simply caved in" on his player with the weight of the pressure on him.

In weekend extracts of the book, Harte admitted to being "puzzled" when Cavanagh came to him on the morning of the game and told him that he was "wrecked", wasn't "feeling good" and hadn't slept at all that night.

"I needed to try and see things from his perspective. Apart from a few isolated flashes of brilliance, his form hadn't been great all season.

"Why was that?" he asked.

"As a player Sean had always delivered. He was an icon for us and that greatness had been rewarded in 2008. Maybe the pressure was stemming from that recognition," he suggested.

Harte acknowledged there was a lot going on in his life from an impending marriage to his role as secretary of the GPA and media and commercial commitments. "Had we addressed all those pressures properly during the year? Had our support structure been strong enough to share his burden?

"This moment (his belief that he couldn't last 70 minutes) seemed the culmination of a year's worth of pressure and expectation leaning on him. In the end the roof simply caved in."

- Colm Keys

Irish Independent

tyroneman

Motivation for mickey sharing.? Was it to give sean some support and scotch rumours,  was it simple honesty as part of the story of that day or a wee kick up the ass for a gpa posterboy? You wonder did mickey and sean discuss this beforehand

DirtyDozen12

Was chattin to Longball last night who still occassionally reads the board and he wanted me to point out his quote before the Antrim game re Sean Cavanagh, he is trying to claim that he is not so slow, he seen it coming, you dont cross the boss, EVER, just ask Roy Keane, Japp Stam, Nigel Reo-Coker to name but a few  :D :D :D :D :D

Quote from: longball on July 10, 2009, 11:41:57 AM
Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on July 10, 2009, 11:04:38 AM
Quote from: longball on July 10, 2009, 10:44:22 AM
What odds will anyone give me on Sean Cavanagh not playing against Antrim!

Have you an inside track lb??

No i dont AQMP, not really but heard few things. Sean has himself caught up in GPA debate and foolish interviews with paper maybe his head isnt in it at the mo. I think he will be named but ive a funny feelin he will not start. But due to the injury to McGinley it could save him.
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!