Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btdtgtt

Strength & conditioning is such a broad term but if it involves lifting weights to bulk up at U14 then that's absolutely scandalous. Young lads can do gym work and body weight exercises no doubt but the overwhelming focus at this age should be on building the skills of the game and the characters of the youngsters.

theskull1

Quote from: Saffrongael on November 22, 2012, 10:14:55 PM
Heard that the U-14 development squads are doing strength and conditioning/weights, at that age? What sort of muppets are in charge of these squads?

Given the fact you've heard your information from a second or third hand source, who is the muppet here?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

theskull1

Not being knowledgeable about the specifics of the work being done or indeed what type of physical development work is advisable by experts in this field I think I should not have an opinion on what is being done.

There's a fair chance I'd say that expertise has been sought so why try and be a shit stirring know it all?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on November 22, 2012, 10:53:52 PM
Not being knowledgeable about the specifics of the work being done or indeed what type of physical development work is advisable by experts in this field I think I should not have an opinion on what is being done.

There's a fair chance I'd say that expertise has been sought so why try and be a shit stirring know it all?

Kids can do weights and as long as it is done within reason and under good guidance, it will do them no harm whatsoever! I wish had have done a lot more gym work while I was young. Conditioning yourself at that age will only put you in a position to push on at minor and senior level.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Buswhacker

Johnnycool.....the very same Big Niall,,,ex-goalkeeper.

Rasharkin Gael

Quote from: Saffrongael on November 22, 2012, 10:14:55 PM
Heard that the U-14 development squads are doing strength and conditioning/weights, at that age? What sort of muppets are in charge of these squads?

The S&C element is only starting this week with this group and is a vital part of player development. You only have to look at the the Antrim U21 game v Clare to see the difference in physicality between a county who have only played lip service to development squads s&c and one who has been at the forefront of this for 6/7 years. 
The key at this age group is to develop good technique over quantity. The aim is to introduce functional strength training, show the benefits, give proper instruction and concentrate on form.
Every club side has now jumped on the s&c band wagon but all too often technique is sacraficed to grunting and pace, were with proper instruction more could be achieved in less than half the time.
I have been impressed with the U14 development squad coaches so far this year, much more so than some of the other age groups. 

johnneycool

If the grip and swing aren't right by the age of 10 then no gods amount of gym work is going to speed up their hurling.

Note, I mentioned the speeding up of their hurling, not just how fast they can run as I've seen it all too often lads with natural speed having to almost stop dead to control a ball, rise it and even hit it.

Shefflin is a good case of this as there's loads of hurlers out there faster over the ground than him, but he does all his skills at full throttle and doesn't need to slow down to execute them properly.

If you've got all that sorted, then yes do a bit of gym work to improve core and what not as striking on the run needs a strong core to develop the power in the shot.

I read this article a few years ago in working 'smart' in the gym which seems to have been lost a bit in every hurler under the sun being told to bulk up.

http://www.totalgaacoach.com/news/419.html

btdtgtt

Good post JohnnyCool - the boss is out so I'm still at home that filled my morning!

Regarding the U14s I dont think we can comment decisively since we dont know the full details of the actual programme.
However I would be hoping it was more based on body-weight and technique than try to lift heavy weights to bulk up while these young lads are in a crucial stage of natural growth - that can harm flexibility long into the future.

Nobody doubts however that we are well behing in terms of physique at the senior grades son great if we're trying to do something about that.
However as JohnnyCools post suggests - this should never be at the expense of the skills and techniques of hurling! These are of paramount importance. Consider the bog ball - Armagh brought this whole idea of men mountains dominating games physically. Sure it worked for a time - but now we see the drive towards leaner players with strength in the right way for the sport.

I guess what I am saying is that although the southern lads are bigger and stronger - lets not forget that this is not their only attribute! They are faster and more skilfull also! We cannot neglect that.
I think "wholistic" is the buzz word!

Two Hands FFS

The U14 panel have had trials recently over a few weeks to pick a squad. They are starting the S&C work supervised by people who know what they are doing in addition to the Hurling..ie... training sessions & trips down south. The Hurling will always be the priority

maxpower

S&C and 'bulking up' aren't the same thing!

S&C WILL speed up hurling, a well constructed program will enhance strength, power, flexibility, balance and develop a strong core! Gains and improvements are easy to see and can improve confidence no end.  Of course hurling skills are hugely important, but so too are the physical attributes and its not a one or the other approach, for every tommy walsh you'll have a walter walsh. 

What happens next????

Onthehill

This is one topic that really does get my back up when fellow gaels become fixated by anti S&C. Now i'm not saying that everyone's in the same boat, but  I want to state the facts about this.  Many professional sports use specific conditioning techniques to develop young bodies to be ready for professional sport. Everyone in professional sports will tell you the time to have this prep done is between 13-18. So developing our teams at these age levels is a real advancement on our outlook for the future for these players after 18 years of age. My one concern would be that the trainers in charge of these developments squads are focusing on GAA specific conditioning techniques, which I'm sure they are if they are taking this program on.

johnneycool

Quote from: Onthehill on November 23, 2012, 01:42:06 PM
This is one topic that really does get my back up when fellow gaels become fixated by anti S&C. Now i'm not saying that everyone's in the same boat, but  I want to state the facts about this.  Many professional sports use specific conditioning techniques to develop young bodies to be ready for professional sport. Everyone in professional sports will tell you the time to have this prep done is between 13-18. So developing our teams at these age levels is a real advancement on our outlook for the future for these players after 18 years of age. My one concern would be that the trainers in charge of these developments squads are focusing on GAA specific conditioning techniques, which I'm sure they are if they are taking this program on.

A professional footballer and a professional rugby player both do strength and conditioning programs throughout their careers. Look at the physique of an average premiership footballer to the average international rugby player and you'll see two very different athletes.

We need to be sure that the programs we put the youngsters through are going to help them and this may even boil down to the individual as you say for every Tommy Walsh there's a Walter Walsh.

Get Tommy to bulk up may take away from his elusiveness which makes him the player he is, Walter naturally is physically big and will use his size to get him the space he needs to get to the ball, he's not going to dance round anyone he can walk over the top of, he'll be given a different program than Tommy.

I'm always worried about this one size fits all solution when it comes to coaching in general, because Kilkenny or Donegal are doing it doesn't necessarily mean it'll work for everyone else but try something different as for sure what we're currently doing or not doing isn't working.

Fairhead

Quote from: theskull1 on November 22, 2012, 10:53:52 PM

Simples Skull its much easier to stir shit on here rather than wait to find out the details!

Fairhead

Quote from: johnneycool on November 23, 2012, 10:28:59 AM
If the grip and swing aren't right by the age of 10 then no gods amount of gym work is going to speed up their hurling.

Note, I mentioned the speeding up of their hurling, not just how fast they can run as I've seen it all too often lads with natural speed having to almost stop dead to control a ball, rise it and even hit it.

Shefflin is a good case of this as there's loads of hurlers out there faster over the ground than him, but he does all his skills at full throttle and doesn't need to slow down to execute them properly.

If you've got all that sorted, then yes do a bit of gym work to improve core and what not as striking on the run needs a strong core to develop the power in the shot.

I read this article a few years ago in working 'smart' in the gym which seems to have been lost a bit in every hurler under the sun being told to bulk up.

http://www.totalgaacoach.com/news/419.html

Ive heard a couple of people say that even up to u12 all you should be interested in as a coach is getting the kids to master the grip.

Thats an excellent article about Timmy Hammersley's routine. 

Seamroga in exile

I remember being given a clip around the lug and told to run out and enjoy it when I was 14. Changed times indeed.

I don't necessarily agree with the skills having to be learned at 10. I know this seems somewhat in club, but Watson was 12 before he went near a hurling field. Talent, I would like to think, is still the major factor at 14. I still think its to young to be even interested in s + c. 16s and up is time enough.

Drilling training into fellas of that age will take the enjoyment out of it eventually. I know it'll help them build up strength etc, but enjoyment of playing the game is what its all about. End of.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"