Hunger strike commemoration at a GAA ground

Started by Maguire01, August 19, 2009, 06:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 20, 2009, 10:30:01 PM
Quote from: 020304 Tir Eoghain on August 20, 2009, 10:28:05 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 20, 2009, 10:01:42 PM
They shouldnt be involved in organising political events, no.

I dont believe it was a political event. It was a commeration to mark the death of one of the Hunger Strikers.
If a political party thinks centre stage it's a political event.

Ill agree with you that Sinn Fein were one of the main organisers, as were other local groups, as were Galbally GFC. However
it was a commeration, not a political event or rally, just the same as the previous Friday night in Strule Arts Centre in Omagh.
However on this point you have your opinion & i have mine.
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

Frank Casey

Quote from: 020304 Tir Eoghain on August 20, 2009, 10:40:46 PM
However on this point you have your opinion & i have mine.

I suppose that is exactly it. We're bedeviled on this island where one man's (group's) commemoration is entirely something different to some body (group) else.
KERRY 3:7

Fear ón Srath Bán

That's it Frank, but the day that I would be concerned about what a 'press exist here to offend' dinosaur like Mc Causland thinks is the day that I'll hang up the spurs.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

barelegs

The notion that the GAA is not a political organisation is a little flawed.

As has been noted in a number of other places, the preface to the GAA's constitution includes the following;

"Those who play its games, those who organise its activities and those who control its destinies see in the G.A.A.a means of consolidating our Irish identity. The games to them are more than games - they have a national significance - and the promotion of native pastimes becomes a part of the full national ideal, which envisages the speaking of our own language, music and dances. The primary purpose of the G.A.A. is the organisation of native pastimes and the promotion of athletic fitness as a means to create a disciplined, self- reliant, national-minded manhood. The overall result is the expression of a people's preference for native ways as opposed to imported ones."

"Since she has no control over all the national territory, Ireland's claim to nationhood is impaired. It would be still more impaired if she were to lose her language, if she failed to provide a decent livelihood for her people at home, or if she were to forsake her own games and customs in favour of the games and customs of another nation. If pride in the attributes of nationhood dies, something good and distinctive in our race dies with it. Each national quality that is lost makes us so much poorer as a Nation. Today, the native games take on a new significance when it is realised that they have been a part, and still are a part, of the Nation's desire to live her own life, to govern her own affairs."

This is hardly the preface to an organisation that has no political inclination, whether that be party political or not. The GAA is a nationalistic body. Furthermore we already have clubs and grounds named after patriots, so lets stop the nonsense, the GAA is a nationalist organisation. While I understand some people have genuine concerns (not Nelson however),  the usual suspects (I'm a long time reader, first time poster) have appeared to continue with the usual Sinn Féin bashing that can usually be found in the non- GAA discussion.

Frank Casey

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 20, 2009, 10:53:10 PM
That's it Frank, but the day that I would be concerned about what a 'press exist here to offend' dinosaur like Mc Causland thinks is the day that I'll hang up the spurs.

My old man, Frank Senior, has a saying about fellows like that - "Some mothers do have them - and the b**tards do live". You're right though - lots of fellows can be suprisingly thin skinned when it suits.
KERRY 3:7

pintsofguinness

QuoteThe GAA is a nationalistic body.
That's fine, but that does not mean it's a Sinn Fein one.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Zapatista

I dont believe it was a political event. It was a commemoration to mark the death of one of the Hunger Strikers.

Why? If the Green part Organised tree planting in Galbally would that make the planting of trees a political event?

SF (or any other party) do not own the Hungerstrikers. The Hunger strike is a huge part of our history and one Worth educating all the people of the island on, in particular the young. To highlight it by way of commemoration and generate discussion around it is a success. We might do better to remember the Hungerstrikers rather than the side show of SF, the SDlP, rule 7a and McCausland.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 20, 2009, 10:57:43 PM
That's fine, but that does not mean it's a Sinn Fein one.

The SDLP (and DUP and UUP) were invited, but were otherwise disposed, apparently.

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: Zapatista on August 20, 2009, 11:21:51 PM

I dont believe it was a political event. It was a commemoration to mark the death of one of the Hunger Strikers.

Why? If the Green part Organised tree planting in Galbally would that make the planting of trees a political event?

SF (or any other party) do not own the Hungerstrikers. The Hunger strike is a huge part of our history and one Worth educating all the people of the island on, in particular the young. To highlight it by way of commemoration and generate discussion around it is a success. We might do better to remember the Hungerstrikers rather than the side show of SF, the SDlP, rule 7a and McCausland.

Zap, that would depend on whether you wanted to pick holes or not :-[

DuffleKing

Quote from: Zapatista on August 20, 2009, 11:21:51 PM

you'd have a job convincing sinn fein of that...

pintsofguinness

QuoteWhy? If the Green part Organised tree planting in Galbally would that make the planting of trees a political event?
If they were planting the trees for members of their party or people connected to their party and making speechs then yes it would be political. 

I agree no one owns the hunger strikers zapatista but that's of little relevence to this and who was responsible for organising it.

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Zapatista

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 20, 2009, 11:28:10 PM
you'd have a job convincing sinn fein of that...

Are you in SF as I'm having a job convincing you of it.

020304 Tir Eoghain

I'm sure if any GAA member has a problem with the commemoration being held at Galbally GFC / Galbally Community
Centre, then i suppose they could bring it up at their next club meeting, who could in turn have it raised at their
County Executive, who would or could then bring it to the attention of the Ulster Council, if they really felt that
strongly about it, that is.

Rois

Quote from: Aoise on August 20, 2009, 09:08:47 PM

Luckily, not everyone has short memories!

People with long memories will also remember when Sinn Fein used GAA clubs as recruitment grounds for volunteers at the time of the hunger strikes.
Now I was about a year old, and can only go on what I've been told by my father. But he fought to keep Sinn Fein out at the time, and luckily succeeded.

Why does being Irish have to involve some sort of political struggle? All my nationalist tendancies have been and are based on the Irish culture:  language, sport, music, dance. Similar to what I believe the GAA is based on. Irish by what we do in our everyday lives, not by aligning ourselves with past 'heroes'. 

Maybe this is a generation thing. And it's prob right and good that the generation who weren't around at the time are coming along behind.