Hunger strike commemoration at a GAA ground

Started by Maguire01, August 19, 2009, 06:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Quote from: 020304 Tir Eoghain on August 20, 2009, 11:42:01 PM
I'm sure if any GAA member has a problem with the commemoration being held at Galbally GFC / Galbally Community
Centre, then i suppose they could bring it up at their next club meeting,
who could in turn have it raised at their
County Executive, who would or could then bring it to the attention of the Ulster Council, if they really felt that
strongly about it, that is.
Aye, that's likely to happen or they're likely to be heard. And what club member would raise issues about the club with the county executive or ulster council?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Zapatista

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 20, 2009, 11:46:32 PM
Aye, that's likely to happen or they're likely to be heard. And what club member would raise issues about the club with the county executive or ulster council?

Get a small club in Roscommon to do it.

020304 Tir Eoghain

I'm sure if any GAA member has a problem with the commemoration being held at Galbally GFC / Galbally Community
County Executive, who would or could then bring it to the attention of the Ulster Council, if they really felt that

Why wouldnt it? Are you saying your club or the Ulster Council would turn a deaf ear to any concerns you might have
on this issue/
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Rois on August 20, 2009, 11:43:04 PM
Why does being Irish have to involve some sort of political struggle?

That you ask such a question is a sign of real progress Rois.

All my nationalist tendancies have been and are based on the Irish culture:  language, sport, music, dance. Similar to what I believe the GAA is based on. Irish by what we do in our everyday lives, not by aligning ourselves with past 'heroes'. 

Again, that's progress. Time was when that was enough to have you severely inconvenienced, with the complicity of the powers that were.

Maybe some of us can't forget what it took to arrive there.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

pintsofguinness

Quote from: 020304 Tir Eoghain on August 20, 2009, 11:51:43 PM

Why wouldnt it? Are you saying your club or the Ulster Council would turn a deaf ear to any concerns you might have
on this issue/

I can't see that happening, most club members worry about their own clubs first and foremost and concentrate on that at committee meetings.  I dont know what it would achieve anyway.

Fear, you're of on a tangent, that has nothing to do with what we're discussing.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 20, 2009, 11:57:21 PM
Quote from: 020304 Tir Eoghain on August 20, 2009, 11:51:43 PM

on this issue/

I can't see that happening, most club members worry about their own clubs first and foremost and concentrate on that at committee meetings.  I dont know what it would achieve anyway.

Fear, you're of on a tangent, that has nothing to do with what we're discussing.

Correct, but a few posters on here feel that this matter is a big enough to be a GAA issue, not just Galbally or their
own club. So surely if that is the case then it should be brought to the attention of the powers that be in whatever
way possible? Or maybe its just not that big a deal at all?

Aoise

Quote from: Aoise on August 20, 2009, 09:08:47 PM

Luckily, not everyone has short memories!

People with long memories will also remember when Sinn Fein used GAA clubs as recruitment grounds for volunteers at the time of the hunger strikes.
Now I was about a year old, and can only go on what I've been told by my father. But he fought to keep Sinn Fein out at the time, and luckily succeeded.

Why does being Irish have to involve some sort of political struggle? All my nationalist tendancies have been and are based on the Irish culture:  language, sport, music, dance. Similar to what I believe the GAA is based on. Irish by what we do in our everyday lives, not by aligning ourselves with past 'heroes'. 

Maybe this is a generation thing. And it's prob right and good that the generation who weren't around at the time are coming along behind.   

Rois On my calculation I'm exactly the same age as you, so its not a generation thing!

Secondly, all of those things you believe Irish Nationalism to be, I believe in also, however, whether you choose to agree or not, the political struggle was in defense of these things and are therefore intrinsically linked to my Nationalist tendencies.  I accept that you are a GAA follower and Irish person, can't I be the same with my belief that Nationalism, the GAA and the political struggle weren't that far removed from each other? Do I have the same right?

I also don't know why Sinn Fein is constantly being mentioned in this.  You have illustrated you and your fathers disdain for Sinn Fein, however the GAA was involved and connected to political struggle long before the troubles or the modern day Sinn Fein established itself.  And whether you like it or not, some Sinn Fein members and sympathisers are also ardent Gaa people, are they not entitled to be?  The GAA is not just the arena for PC plods and SDLPers.

cadhlancian

unbelievable that when asked a couple of months back, did he know that Tyrone were All ireland champions..... he said he didn;t, yet he knows more about rule 7A than me :o

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 20, 2009, 11:57:21 PM

Was addressing Rois's (valid) points pints, though you're right in that they're not directly relevant here.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: Aoise on August 21, 2009, 12:30:51 AM
Quote from: Aoise on August 20, 2009, 09:08:47 PM

Luckily, not everyone has short memories!

People with long memories will also remember when Sinn Fein used GAA clubs as recruitment grounds for volunteers at the time of the hunger strikes.
Now I was about a year old, and can only go on what I've been told by my father. But he fought to keep Sinn Fein out at the time, and luckily succeeded.

Why does being Irish have to involve some sort of political struggle? All my nationalist tendancies have been and are based on the Irish culture:  language, sport, music, dance. Similar to what I believe the GAA is based on. Irish by what we do in our everyday lives, not by aligning ourselves with past 'heroes'. 

Maybe this is a generation thing. And it's prob right and good that the generation who weren't around at the time are coming along behind.   

Rois On my calculation I'm exactly the same age as you, so its not a generation thing!

Secondly, all of those things you believe Irish Nationalism to be, I believe in also, however, whether you choose to agree or not, the political struggle was in defense of these things and are therefore intrinsically linked to my Nationalist tendencies.  I accept that you are a GAA follower and Irish person, can't I be the same with my belief that Nationalism, the GAA and the political struggle weren't that far removed from each other? Do I have the same right?

I also don't know why Sinn Fein is constantly being mentioned in this.  You have illustrated you and your fathers disdain for Sinn Fein, however the GAA was involved and connected to political struggle long before the troubles or the modern day Sinn Fein established itself.  And whether you like it or not, some Sinn Fein members and sympathisers are also ardent Gaa people, are they not entitled to be?  The GAA is not just the arena for PC plods and SDLPers.

Aoise, its called Sinn Fein bashing, wouldn't worry too much about it.

Son_of_Sam

I wrote my views on this 3 times, & I deleted my message all 3 times before publishing, it might have upset too many of our or brothers & sisters from Ulster.

tyrone86

I think the tone of this thread illustrates why precisely there is a need for a rule that the Association is non party political. Jesus H Christ, even when people are agreeing they're disagreeing. As the Chairman said to the Parish Priest "Thanks a lot for that now Father, but that's the kind of shite that sickens my hole"

However, since everyone else has thrown their tuppence in I'll follow suit. Technically, no rules have been broken. End of story. If the Galbally club and the wider Galbally and Cappagh communities haven't an issue with this then I don't see why anyone whose club it doesn't directly effect should be obsessing with it. Every club in the Association is autonomous and self governing - let them get on with it.

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: tyrone86 on August 21, 2009, 01:29:22 AM
I think the tone of this thread illustrates why precisely there is a need for a rule that the Association is non party political. Jesus H Christ, even when people are agreeing they're disagreeing. As the Chairman said to the Parish Priest "Thanks a lot for that now Father, but that's the kind of shite that sickens my hole"

However, since everyone else has thrown their tuppence in I'll follow suit. Technically, no rules have been broken. End of story. If the Galbally club and the wider Galbally and Cappagh communities haven't an issue with this then I don't see why anyone whose club it doesn't directly effect should be obsessing with it. Every club in the Association is autonomous and self governing - let them get on with it.

But this reflects on all members of the association. And I would hesitate to suggest the majority of members esp. in the other 3 Provinces would feal it reflects badly on the association or at least gives a perception that GAA people are raging Republicans who approve of the actions of the hunger strikers. I know for certain I don't approve. Trust me Its shite like this I feal that gets thrown at the likes of me when I try and argue that non-GAA sports should not be played in assoication grounds & once our fellow Irishmen & women in the IRFU & FAI  have reuilt their new stadium, they should relocated permanently out of Croke Park.

rionach 4

I  was at the commemoration in Galbally on sunday the 16th August and can understand the opposition to the event by a number of posters . First and foremost yes It was sinn fein organised commemoration . secondly it was in the  grounds of the football field as well as the community centre and thirdly it dd involve sppeches from politicians reiterating the struggles of the hunger strikers and the relevant political views held by Sinn Fein.  Lets not beat about the bush here that what it was . Concerts that night were held in the community centre and many, not all though of the hunger strike families were present.
Galbally football club in my opinion has nothing to be answerable for . It hired out the use of the field to a political party. whether it was remimbursed or not well I am sure a member of the committee will inform you. No member of Galbally Gaelic football club  openely stewarded the event other than to ensure safety regulation were up held at the ground. The club itself were not involved in Political discussions or debates. Those who hired out the field used it and left. Across the world sporting grounds are used for political meetings rallies etc . I was at  meetings in San sebastion and Bilbao wherby Heirra Batisuna held open air meetings on behalf of the Basque Separtists. Football grounds in America are openly used for political rallies by either democrats or republicans. What is it with rule 7a . Is it because some of what we are saying is unpleasant. Is it because we are afraid of handing Nelson McCausalnd a political stick to beat us with when over half the clubs are called after republican patriots and indeed some even after dead hunger strikers . nelson doesnt need our stick he doesnt want it . He already has all the vitriol he needs against us there and ready for firing.
Lets be clear on this . The Gaa is a microcosm of our society a whole . It reflects the views of the community with which it inhabits . Very often it is the lynch pin of our community and remained so in days when the liight was a lot darker than what it is now. Each area has its own political persuasions . As it happens Galbally is seen as a strong republican area and the club reflect this . The votes at the last election when the ballot boxes for torrent were opened reflected this. I know not everyone in Galbally is a rabid republican and some may well have opposed it but the general feeling within the community is that its fine for Sinn fein to use the field as that is generally how the community feel and the Gaa is a community based organisation.  Many other clubs that I know for example may have taken a totally different train of thought and may not have countenanced Sinnfein or the hunger strike commemoration for one  moment. My own club would have taken this view.
Whether we like to admit it or not the Gaa is a politcal organisation.It may not be party political  but Our clubs are called after Irish patriots in many cases . One of our basic aims is to promote Irish reunification to reflect ireland as one nation by the flying of our national flags at games by the playing of our national Anthem . To promote our culture  language etc etc . When we go down this line you must remember that the train will stop at all the stations and more people will climb on board with stronger views etc etc . What happened at Galbally on sunday is only another stop on the way. Every area is different . Martin Hurson was a member of the Galbally club he was, like his family a strong member of the community and the Gaa . Do you think Galbally was going to turn his back on him . If you do well then you need to rethink what Tyrone and galbally are all about (and I am not from Tyrone ) .
If Galbally in the Future want to hire out the club to the SDLP or someother branch of the wider nationalist community it will be because the community decided it and the Gaa are not only central but the center of all that goes on in that area .
ps I respect all those who may not and most likely do not agree with my view point .. sorry for being so long winded.

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: Son_of_Sam on August 21, 2009, 01:36:51 AM
Quote from: tyrone86 on August 21, 2009, 01:29:22 AM

But this reflects on all members of the association. And I would hesitate to suggest the majority of members esp. in the other 3 Provinces would feal it reflects badly on the association or at least gives a perception that GAA people are raging Republicans who approve of the actions of the hunger strikers. I know for certain I don't approve. Trust me Its shite like this I feal that gets thrown at the likes of me when I try and argue that non-GAA sports should not be played in assoication grounds & once our fellow Irishmen & women in the IRFU & FAI  have reuilt their new stadium, they should relocated permanently out of Croke Park.

You really think so? Interesting. Surely then the someone, somewhere in the other 3 provinces would feel the
need to have the Galbally club brought to task  for breaking any GAA rules pertaining to the use of their grounds
for a commemoration? And by the way, there were a lot of GAA members there in Sunday, from all over Tyrone.
Surely if they felt that this commemoration was in any way compromising the association, they could have stayed
at home & watched the Hurling semi-finals instead.