New York

Started by Karl Kennedy, May 21, 2009, 09:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

dont be catching a cab home at night - get the path its hand to where you are staying and 5 lads together are fine.
taxis out of manhattan to jersey will set you back 40-80 depending on the driver
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

J70

At the moment, PATH is only going Newark to 33rd St at night. Which is fine if you're in midtown. WTC line is open5am to 10pm. It will probably be back 24 hours in a few weeks though once they finish all the repairs from the flooding.

J70

And yes, PATH or the ferries, not taxis,  are the way to go for Exchange Place / Paulus Hook.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Was in NY for a few days over New Year's? Absolutely fantastic, couldn't recommend it enough. Manhattan can be dear but probably no worse than Dublin or London. Make sure you do the Top of the Rock- absolutely amazing view over the city.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

gallsman

Heading over on Thursday for week. Eventually found an apartment and are staying in the East Village. Any recommendations for night spots for five lads in their mid-20s? Expect we'll be heading out primarily in Greenwich and Meatpacking District but would be interested in hearing about local spots to get us started!

J70

Quote from: gallsman on March 10, 2013, 08:51:39 PM
Heading over on Thursday for week. Eventually found an apartment and are staying in the East Village. Any recommendations for night spots for five lads in their mid-20s? Expect we'll be heading out primarily in Greenwich and Meatpacking District but would be interested in hearing about local spots to get us started!

Plenty of spots in East Village too, given you're staying there! Check Yelp for reviews.

Rois

Complete tourist trap but I loved it - 230th Fifth - views were amazing, even for one drink.  www.230-fifth.com

boojangles

Looking to head over to New York in September. We haven't booked flights yet. Just wondering should I wait for Aer Lingus Summer sales or do the prices for transatlantic flights generally keep rising over time?

J70

Try Delta too, if its Dublin. We're coming home this summer and got a much better deal with them than Aer Lingus.

Also, American were slated to start service from JFK to Dublin this summer. Not sure if its still happening with their recent merger, but Aer Lingus are not the only option. United out of Newark is another.

Rois

Quote from: boojangles on March 11, 2013, 02:37:16 PM
Looking to head over to New York in September. We haven't booked flights yet. Just wondering should I wait for Aer Lingus Summer sales or do the prices for transatlantic flights generally keep rising over time?

Don't forget to check Belfast price with Continental as could be cheaper despite a bit of a trip to get there.

BF is flying to NY on Friday through Philadelphia with American Airlines and got return to La Guardia from Dublin for £320 - a good price for St Patrick's weekend despite the connection in Philadelphia. 

Canalman

Fish around on the net. Don't forget that Newark/ Philadelphia (1 hourish  on train) are other options to fly into /out of.

Imo no real difference in when you book flights.

J70

Continental doesn't exist anymore. They merged with United.

Flying into Philly just  to get to NYC ain't worth the hassle, unless you're getting an unbelievably low fare!

Rois

Well £320 over St Patrick's weekend for return to NYC through Philadelphia is what I would consider a good fare - saved at least £180 over the next cheapest.

Apologies for writing Continental instead of United  ::) Given that there's only one airline that flies out of Belfast to the USA, it wouldn't have been to hard to figure it out... 

J70

Quote from: Rois on March 12, 2013, 10:02:13 AM
Well £320 over St Patrick's weekend for return to NYC through Philadelphia is what I would consider a good fare - saved at least £180 over the next cheapest.

Apologies for writing Continental instead of United  ::) Given that there's only one airline that flies out of Belfast to the USA, it wouldn't have been to hard to figure it out...

Relax!! Just trying to be helpful with the United thing as it may not be common knowledge in Ireland.

Philly is a matter of opinion. Personally wouldn't even consider your savings worth the extra  time and travel, on top of an already long trip, with Amtrak fares and so on still to be thrown in, but each to their own.

gallsman

Any recommendations for outlet shopping? Is it worth the trip to Jersey to avoid the sales tax?