Mayo v New York, Gaelic Park 10.05.09

Started by Barney, April 28, 2009, 08:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ludermor

Ros,
is this from the bridge at corrick?

blast05

Rosnarun, roughly how long to travel there from Manhattan (6th Avenue)

laoisgaa

From Mayogaa.com

Three championship debutants for Mayo

JOHN O'Mahony has given championship debuts to three players for Sunday's opening round Connacht Senior Football Championship clash in New York.

Knockmore's Kevin McLoughlin, Ballinrobe's Donal Vaughan and Breaffy's Aidan O'Shea all feature in the first fifteen for a senior championship game for the first time.

All three were integral members of the Mayo U-21 team which lost the All-Ireland semi-final to Down last month. Another member of that team – Tom Parsons – is also on the first fifteen after making his debut last year.

There are welcome returns after injury problems for Trevor Howley and Barry Moran. Andy Moran, who had spent most of the National Football League at left-half back, makes a return to corner-forward.

Trevor Mortimer will lead the team from centre-half forward.

Mayo travel to New York minus Conor Mortimer (injury), Mark Ronaldson, Seamus O'Shea, Kenneth O'Malley (all exams) and Keith Higgins (hurling commitments).

Sunday's game throws –in at 3pm local time, 8pm Irish time. It will be carried live on Mid West Radio.

Mayo team to face New York in full: 1, David Clarke, Ballina; 2, Liam O'Malley, Burrishoole; 3, Ger Cafferkey, Ballina; 4, Kevin McLoughlin, Knockmore; 5, Peadar Gardiner, Crossmolina; 6, Trevor Howley, Knockmore; 7, Donal Vaughan, Ballinrobe; 8, Tom Parsons, Charlestown; 9, Ronan McGarrity, Ballina; 10, Pat Harte, Ballina; 11, Trevor Mortimer, Shrule/Glencorrib; 12, Alan Dillon, Ballintubber; 13, Andy Moran, Ballaghaderreen; 14, Aidan O'Shea, Breaffy; 15, Barry Moran, Castlebar.

FL/MAYO

Quote from: blast05 on May 07, 2009, 09:55:02 PM
Rosnarun, roughly how long to travel there from Manhattan (6th Avenue)

If I remember correctly it is about a 30- 40 minute subway ride from Mid Town on the #1 train. The drive from Manhattan Mid Town would take the same if there is no traffic...make sure the Yankees are not playing at home that day.If there is 4 of you together take a taxi up to Gaelic Park it should not be to expensive.

Farrandeelin

Have to say I'm happy enough with that team. I'd haveHarte at no 11 though instead of Trevor, but seeing as Trevor is the captain I suppose Johnno would hardly change him. I just don't like him at no 11. A Moran back in the FF line, I have to say I didn't see that one coming, but hopefully he will do the job.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tubberman

We won't learn much this Sunday, but I hope the two big men can stay fit so we can all have a proper look at them in action together against Ros/Leitrim.
Or will Aidan O'Shea miss that match because of the leaving cert?  ???
Presumably Cunniffe is out because of that injury that was mentioned. If he was fit, I'd have him at CHB with Howley instead of Vaughan, or Howley at CHB with Cunniffe instead of Vaughan.
As others have mentioned, not too excited about Andy at corner forward, but he's a favourite of Johnno so it was always pretty likely there'd be a place for him.
Overall a good team though, hopefully none of the exiles tries to make a name for himself by taking out one of our lads.
Hopefully we see some promise from the FF line, a solid return for Howley, and no injuries.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

kevmy

Yeah the team is grand.

Only two real sticking points are Cunniffe and Andy.

Presumably Cunniffe isn't being risked because of injury but someone will miss out at half back this year - actually a few will as we have good cover there.

As for Andy, well it's a toss up between him and Austie I'd say and I think the last few years have proven it's probably 50-50 between the two of them.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: laoisgaa on May 07, 2009, 10:38:05 PM
From Mayogaa.com

JOHN O'Mahony has given championship debuts to three players for Sunday's opening round Connacht Senior Football Championship clash in New York.

Knockmore's Kevin McLoughlin, Ballinrobe's Donal Vaughan and Breaffy's Aidan O'Shea all feature in the first fifteen for a senior championship game for the first time.

All three were integral members of the Mayo U-21 team which lost the All-Ireland semi-final to Down last month. Another member of that team – Tom Parsons – is also on the first fifteen after making his debut last year.

There are welcome returns after injury problems for Trevor Howley and Barry Moran. Andy Moran, who had spent most of the National Football League at left-half back, makes a return to corner-forward.

Mayo travel to New York minus Conor Mortimer (injury), Mark Ronaldson, Seamus O'Shea, Kenneth O'Malley (all exams) and Keith Higgins (hurling commitments).

Sunday's game throws –in at 3pm local time, 8pm Irish time. It will be carried live on Mid West Radio.

Mayo team to face New York in full: 1, David Clarke, Ballina; 2, Liam O'Malley, Burrishoole; 3, Ger Cafferkey, Ballina; 4, Kevin McLoughlin, Knockmore; 5, Peadar Gardiner, Crossmolina; 6, Trevor Howley, Knockmore; 7, Donal Vaughan, Ballinrobe; 8, Tom Parsons, Charlestown; 9, Ronan McGarrity, Ballina; 10, Pat Harte, Ballina; 11, Trevor Mortimer, Shrule/Glencorrib; 12, Alan Dillon, Ballintubber; 13, Andy Moran, Ballaghaderreen; 14, Aidan O'Shea, Breaffy; 15, Barry Moran, Castlebar.

is there not 4 Debutants with Ger Cafferkey as well
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Foreverhopeful

Surprised to see andy moran back there. Thought austie would have been there but maybe andy gonna come out around midfield/half-forward.

dodo

With 2 big men inside I would think that the third man would have to be very mobile, something that Austie cannot be accused of. The half forward line looks very promising.

Foreverhopeful

i suppose but in fairness the 2 big boys are very mobile....

The flame still burns

Quote from: the Deel Rover on May 08, 2009, 05:32:05 PM
Quote from: laoisgaa on May 07, 2009, 10:38:05 PM
From Mayogaa.com

is there not 4 Debutants with Ger Cafferkey as well

You're right Deel Rover, Ger Cafferkey is making his debut too. I've done a piece on the four new lads -

http://thereisalightthatnevergoesout.wordpress.com/2009/05/08/four-mayo-players-to-debut-in-ny/

southoftheborder

paddy power have new york plus 18 at 11/10, surely beating someone in championship football is beyond that, any takers

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: southoftheborder on May 09, 2009, 11:56:14 AM
paddy power have new york plus 18 at 11/10, surely beating someone in championship football is beyond that, any takers

Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, too much unpredictability. See 2004 result below courtesty of mayogaablog.com

Preliminary Round: New York 1-8 Mayo 3-28 (Gaelic Park, New York, 2/5/2004). MAYO: P Burke; D Geraghty, P Kelly, G Ruane; F Costello (0-1), D Sweeney, J Nallen; D Heaney, D Brady; J Gill (0-2), A Dillon (0-1), A Moran (0-5); C Mortimer (1-12, six frees), B Maloney (0-1), M McNicholas (0-2). Subs: A O'Malley (1-3) for B Maloney (35 mins); R McGarritty for D Heaney (49); M Moyles (1-1) for A Dillon (53); P Gardiner for J Nallen (55); G Mullins for F Costello (61).

Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

muppet

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 09, 2009, 01:42:22 PM
Quote from: southoftheborder on May 09, 2009, 11:56:14 AM

Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, too much unpredictability. See 2004 result below courtesty of mayogaablog.com

Preliminary Round: New York 1-8 Mayo 3-28 (Gaelic Park, New York, 2/5/2004). MAYO: P Burke; D Geraghty, P Kelly, G Ruane; F Costello (0-1), D Sweeney, J Nallen; D Heaney, D Brady; J Gill (0-2), A Dillon (0-1), A Moran (0-5); C Mortimer (1-12, six frees), B Maloney (0-1), M McNicholas (0-2). Subs: A O'Malley (1-3) for B Maloney (35 mins); R McGarritty for D Heaney (49); M Moyles (1-1) for A Dillon (53); P Gardiner for J Nallen (55); G Mullins for F Costello (61).

Funny looking at that team you wouldn't think they would get to a Final beating the champions on the way would you? The current team if anything looks better overall, especially if Conor is in the corner.
MWWSI 2017