Mayo v New York, Gaelic Park 10.05.09

Started by Barney, April 28, 2009, 08:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on May 06, 2009, 06:57:30 PM
ya i'm sure gavin duffy could be trained to be a gaelic footballer again and maybe do a job for mayo but he wouldnt be as good as he could have been had he stayed at the football rather than play professional rugby.... You seem to miss that point moysider.

No, I ll take your point. He s a long time gone from it to be honest. 27/28 now. Wish we had him to find out though.

Foreverhopeful

ya tis a pity.... he's doing the business now for connacht though. Super athlete and a gentleman aswell.
Do you reckon we'll see the twin tower's?
We are missing ronaldson and c mort so options limited unless mikey sweeney is giving a champ debut? Hope not

RedandGreenSniper

Hard to know what team will be. Austy and O'Shea in the full-forward line I'd say. Maybe Barry Moran too.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

moysider

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on May 06, 2009, 08:57:39 PM
ya tis a pity.... he's doing the business now for connacht though. Super athlete and a gentleman aswell.
We are missing ronaldson and c mort so options limited unless mikey sweeney is giving a champ debut? Hope not

I hope they go with the twin towers. A good chance for the players to get a handle on it if its to be used later on. There s plenty of football in our two as well. They re not just big lads. Plenty of scores in them as well as being targets and will keep any backline honest. My only worry is Moran s being injury prone. What can ye do. He s due a good run.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: moysider on May 06, 2009, 10:04:31 PM

I hope they go with the twin towers. A good chance for the players to get a handle on it if its to be used later on. There s plenty of football in our two as well. They re not just big lads. Plenty of scores in them as well as being targets and will keep any backline honest. My only worry is Moran s being injury prone. What can ye do. He s due a good run.

I'm sure the twin towers will be flagged nationally as O'Mahony copying Kerry which, in fairness, is not the case. We have only one top level corner-forward in Mort the younger and then we have two big men who are agile and have football in them. It makes perfect sense given the resources we have available. Also we can switch one of the big men out to wing-forward to help out midfield and move Dillon inside. I reckon it'll work well and I reckon we'll see both of them start v New York with Austy operating off them while we wait for Mort to recover.

Aaron Boone

Derry hulers lost to NY in 06 and it messed-up things when the victors couldn't come 'home' 4 the Ulster Hurling final.
If you lose this w/end Mayo, at least Congress hv2 look at this madess of this NY thing every year.

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 06, 2009, 10:57:17 PM
Quote from: moysider on May 06, 2009, 10:04:31 PM

I'm sure the twin towers will be flagged nationally as O'Mahony copying Kerry which, in fairness, is not the case. We have only one top level corner-forward in Mort the younger and then we have two big men who are agile and have football in them. It makes perfect sense given the resources we have available. Also we can switch one of the big men out to wing-forward to help out midfield and move Dillon inside. I reckon it'll work well and I reckon we'll see both of them start v New York with Austy operating off them while we wait for Mort to recover.

Agree. Did nt want to appear too bullish in my last thread but I d be as happy with our 2. If we falter this Summer I dont think it ll be down to those lads. They look like an obvious strength if the lads further out can supply good ball and others can support properly. Those two fit and well and defenses will have their hands full. Early and clever diagonal ball could pay dividends. Time we gave some other teams a dose of it. For too many years likes of Kerry and Tyrone s backs  bigger test were the in-house training games.

rosnarun

it could be a day to try our two big men in the full forward line , but oin the basis of experimentation. the reason Tommy walsh plays so well in there for kerry is that he is at the moiment probably the best footballer in the country regardless of height and promising as  Osé is . he is a long way behind that yet.
Walsh has well passed out Donaghy and the assumtion that any 2 huge men thrown in together can have a similar effect is very naive. in General  the 2 kerry lads take it in turn to be FF and they is little enough interplay between the 2 and each can prosper on their own. the term twin towers is very misleading 
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

AbbeySider

Im not sure about the fitness of Barry yet. He in only just back from tearing his hamstring in two places.... one tear being 5cm long. I know he played and scored for Mitchell's last week but he is still a long way off it yet. He is so injury prone that id prefer to see him get a few minutes rather than a full game which could knock him back again. Its baby steps you need to come back from an injury like that.

Foreverhopeful

have to start the boyos.  The beauty is either one can go out around midfield quite comfortably if required. Obviously that option wont be needed against NY. Would be mighty if we can keep B Moran fit. He can be what we are missing inside. Long time since we had a big no.14.
They should be working on this tactic in training with austie playing off them for now. I see the point about the lack of interaction between the kerry boys. But thats not what we are looking for specifically. Its about either or winning the ball and taking their own score or laying it off. It's about the other team having to rejig their team in order to get another big man back there hopefully opening up another weakness elsewhere. Mayo always get caught out having to change their backs to suit other teams forwards, for once i'd like to see a team having to move their backs around to suit our forwards.

NAG

Derry losing to New York didnt screw things up for Antrim who got a trip out to play them in the Ulster final later in the year!   :D

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Aaron Boone on May 06, 2009, 11:40:01 PM
Derry hulers lost to NY in 06 and it messed-up things when the victors couldn't come 'home' 4 the Ulster Hurling final.
If you lose this w/end Mayo, at least Congress hv2 look at this madess of this NY thing every year.

I don't think we will lose though. I reckon thed ff line could be Austy, Moran and O'Shea together. He might leave Mortimer on the bench again.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 07, 2009, 07:04:37 PM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on May 06, 2009, 11:40:01 PM

I don't think we will lose though. I reckon thed ff line could be Austy, Moran and O'Shea together. He might leave Mortimer on the bench again.

Mortimer (Conor) is injured.

Anyone I see the team has been picked. Twin towers are good to go! And the third man? Andy Moran! Donal Vaughan takes over from him at left-half back. The other big, big news is that Trevor Howley is centre-half back. No sign of Cunniffe on the team - I presume he is travelling? A kick in the teeth for him, I actually thought he was warming to the role and not sure if Howley is up to his best or close to it yet. Obviously New York would expose that but it undermines Cunniffe badly.

Team
Clarke
O'Malley Cafferkey McLoughlin
Gardiner Howley Vaughan
Parsons McGarrity
Harte T Mortimer A Dillon
A Moran A O'Shea B Moran

western exile

from RTÉ  website....

Mayo are expected to name their team on Thursday night with Tom Cunniffe and Ronan McGarrity nursing groin and calf injuries respectively. Four Mayo players - Kenneth O'Malley, Seamus O'Shea, Mark Ronaldson and Conor Mortimer - are not travelling to New York due to exams and injury.

Meanwhile, there are four Mayo natives in contention for starting places on the New York team next weekend. Robert Moran (Moy Davitts), Dermot Keane (Knockmore), Declan Reilly (Castlebar Mitchels) and John McNicholas (Kiltimagh) are all part of th
e New York squad.

rosnarun

Directions to the ground for any one who is going.
From the South:
Driving Directions: Take Major Deegan Expressway (I-87) North, and proceed to the Van Cortlandt Park South Exit. Bear right and go back over the Expressway toward Broadway. Stay straight and go under elevated train. Gaelic Park will be on your right (W. 240th St.).
By Subway: Take the "1" train to the last stop, which is 242nd street. As you exit the train, walk two blocks south and make a right onto 240th Street. Gaelic Park will be on your right.

From the North:
Driving Directions: Take New York State Thruway South (I-87) into the Bronx and exit at Van Cortlandt Park South. Turn right at traffic light and go straight until you pass under the elevated train. Gaelic Park will be on your right.
By Subway: Take the "1" train to the last stop, which is 242nd street. As you exit the train, walk two blocks south and make a right onto 240th Street. Gaelic Park will be on your right.

From the East:
Driving Directions: Bronx Whitestone or Throgs Neck Bridge to Cross Bronx Expressway South (I-95). Take Major Deegan Expressway North (I-87) to Van Cortlandt Park South Exit. Bear right and go back over the Expressway toward Broadway. Stay straight and go under elevated train. Gaelic Park will be on your right (W. 240th St.).

From the West:
Driving Directions: Take George Washington Bridge to Major Deegan Expwy. North (Route 87). Proceed to Van Cortlandt Park South Exit. Bear right and go back over the Expressway toward Broadway. Stay straight and go under elevated train. Gaelic Park will be on your right (W. 240th St.).
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere