Mayo v New York, Gaelic Park 10.05.09

Started by Barney, April 28, 2009, 08:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 05, 2009, 10:33:52 PM
Sure what was the harm in people thinking McGarrity came from nowhere? Which, by GAA standards, he did. It was a good story.

It was a good story I ll admit but there was weakness in it as well, or harm, whatever way one may look at it. We were seen as a soft touch there. Opposing managers were drawn to our midfield as an area they could exploit on the grounds that we had novices there and we fairly signposted it as well with silly stuff. Put it this way, not many from Mayo heard of RMcG before 04. How many outside had? But we had to be all clever and say what a coup it was  instead of just keeping the head down. Jack O Connor said post 04 final that our midfield was targetted as rookies. That no way that a novice midfielder would be able for the Dara s and Kirbies. O Connor said that Kerry took it personally that a basketball player in his first year could dream of taking Dara.  McGarrity was set up to an extent when he should have been covered. My point is likes of O Connor can come up with his own battle plan and suss out opposition weaknesses on his own without our management setting them up in advance. The interview before the final was also ill - advised and would nt have gone unnoticed down south. It was nt the only cringeworthy interview by a Mayo player before that final. I m still trying to get my head around Brian Maloney s 'Calvary' interview where he described the horrors of running around  Belleek s cross country track.

moysider

Quote from: rosnarun on May 05, 2009, 10:49:40 PM
i just dont see why people are bringing up liam mchales name now with the general gist of it being that he doesn't deserve any credit for his role in Mcgarrity Playing for mayo. As that was a an inevitable event any way . Even as you point out yourself Both  Varley  and kelly failed to make the grade long term about whom the same could have been said had the experiment gone well,  nothing in football is a forgone conclusion . and certainly a player picked out of left field like that needed a champion or else patience may have been very thin amongst other clubs with their own prospects. 
and despite  his great natural talent it was at best an unusual move moving im to be a senior player before he had played senior for ballina . 
my slightly satirical note is due to the reaction from ballina posters to any negative comments re stephenites players

I ll give him credit for McGarrity playing for Mayo, if that makes people happy, because, hey, there may have been others that would nt have entertained him at all. That would nt surprise me either. Not that too many 'supporters' would notice. I had to listen to someone at the week-end, that should know better by now, assert that 'MacDonald never did it when it counted anyway'. I m not sure this current management would have taken Ronan on. Capaple of doing what they did with Danger, all bets are off.  No wonder that 04 management looked like geniuses for playing MCGarrity. But in fairness you d have to have been an awful gome to have missed him.

I could also name another Ballina player who would have been good enough to play senior for Mayo before his club but unfortunately he probably never will (for either). Maybe even 2 more could come into that category.

As for the negative comments and Stephenites players I can assure you that I am in no way parochial, whatever about other metropolitan posters. In fact if anything I m harder on my neighbours.  I think any reasonably analysis of my posts would back that up. I ve defended Harte on football grounds but would have done the same for a Mcloughlin, A. Higgins or A. ÓSé etc. Club nothing to do with it.

rosnarun

QuoteBut in fairness you d have to have been an awful gome to have missed him.

THIS IS THE POINT THAT WERE MISSING . HOW EXACTLY WOULD YOU BE AN AWFUL GOM TO MISS A PLAYER WHO HAD NEVER PLAYED CHAMPIONSHIP AND HAD BEEN IN AMERICA FOR 3 YEARs. not that i care who gets the credit for such a brave call . but i find curious the speed at which credit for Mchale Was denied
had to laugh when you deny being parochial and then say there are ballina players that will never get a chance to play for mayo . without names of course . if there are players so ready and able to take a starting jersey  why not shout their names from a roof top to the gome out there that are missing out? esp when you consider some of the 'Talent ' that was indulged from that quarter after their club success.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

stephenite

Quote from: rosnarun on May 06, 2009, 03:25:01 AM
esp when you consider some of the 'Talent ' that was indulged from that quarter after their club success.

But some of the Crossmolina 'Talent' appearances for after their own success Mayo were completely justified and not indulged at all ;D :D ;D

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: moysider on May 06, 2009, 12:39:11 AM
Jack O Connor said post 04 final that our midfield was targetted as rookies. That no way that a novice midfielder would be able for the Dara s and Kirbies. O Connor said that Kerry took it personally that a basketball player in his first year could dream of taking Dara.

One thing that kills me about analysis of that All-Ireland is that Dara didn't play at all that day. Neither he nor Moynihan started. Eoin Brosnan and William Kerby were the Kerry midfield. Moynihan came on after 55 minutes for Liam Hassett, but Dara didn't leave the bench at all.

So, instead of exploiting this Kerry weakness, Mayo dropped our most experienced midfielder and played a goalkeeper instead. Maybe Kerry would have won anyway, but we certainly did ourselves no favours.

AbbeySider

HoganStand....

New York an unknown quantity to O'Mahony   ::) 
05 May 2009

John O'Mahony says Mayo are concentrating on their own game ahead of Sunday's low-key Connacht SFC opener against New York in Gaelic Park.

The Mayo manager admits he knows little about the Exiles, whose last competitive game was against Leitrim in the Connacht SFC exactly a year ago.

"Our plan is to concentrate on our own attitude, our own performance," he said.

"When a team doesn't play National League, there's not a lot you can go on. There's no point in us having a lot of information on them and not having our own house in order.

Buoyed by a strong finish to the NFL which saw them beat arch-rivals Galway and draw with All-Ireland champions Tyrone, Mayo will travel to the Big Apple in high spirits.

"I'm really looking forward to the championship. I think if we get an injury-free run, work hard, show a unity of purpose and have a good attitude, we'll make an impact," O'Mahony added.

Mayo are expected to name their team on Thursday night with Tom Cunniffe and Ronan McGarrity nursing groin and calf injuries respectively. Four Mayo players - Kenneth O'Malley, Seamus O'Shea, Mark Ronaldson and Conor Mortimer - are not travelling to New York due to exams and injury.

Meanwhile, there are four Mayo natives in contention for starting places on the New York team next weekend. Robert Moran (Moy Davitts), Dermot Keane (Knockmore), Declan Reilly (Castlebar Mitchels) and John McNicholas (Kiltimagh) are all part of the New York squad.

"We hope everything will come together on the day," New York manager Seamus Smith said.

"We're really looking forward to it and we just hope that we can give a good account of ourselves."

From Mayo News:

Moran looking to test himself

Former Mayo minor is a key man for New York

Interview
Mike Finnerty

FIVE years ago a fresh-faced Robert Moran stood in the glorious sunshine at Gaelic Park along with the rest of us and watched Mayo put New York to the sword at their ease.
Moran had only arrived in the US a few weeks earlier and enjoyed being a Mayo supporter that Sunday afternoon. He was 23, it was the summertime, and the living was easy.
Last week, the former Moy Davitts footballer and Mayo minor star recalled that first visit to the famous football pitch in the infamous Bronx. Little did he know that it was to become his second home over the last five summers.
"The most thing I remember about that game was the huge Mayo crowd that turned up," he told The Mayo News. "There was a great atmosphere and I, being a bona fide Mayo man that time, was delighted with the result.
"I came to New York to play football and thought I'd stay for a while but I never imagined being here five years later. I suppose I just found my feet, got a job, started to enjoy the lifestyle, and things just snowballed from there really."
Next Sunday, 'Robbie' (as he's known to his friends in NYC) will be one of the main men in the New York attack. Ten years after playing in the All-Ireland minor final with Mayo, he is now arguably New York's most experienced and talented forward.
He has played in four Connacht championship matches and lost a 'county final' with the Down club last year. Since returning to the training field last February, he has been counting down the days to May 10.
"I'm really looking forward to it," he admitted last week. "It's going to be strange, I suppose, having played with, and against, so many of the Mayo lads in the past.
"You want to pit yourself against the players you came up against at home. I'll never have the opportunity to play inter-county football for Mayo so this is my chance to see if I could have.
"The fact that it's Mayo we're playing next weekend means that I have been probably pushing myself that bit harder for the last few months. A lot of us will have family, friends, people from our clubs coming out, and you don't want to let them down. You want to do yourself proud."
Football has always defined Moran's life, ever since his days in national school in Foxford. His red hair and prodigious talent meant that he always stood out from the crowd, and he has never lost interest in the game, either at home or away.
He reads the Irish papers, watches games on Setanta, surfs the Moy Davitts website and hears all the latest stories from the Foxford grapevine.
"Football has been a huge part of my life out here, and there's been plenty of ups and downs, but I've enjoyed it," he explained. "It keeps you grounded and it's a great way to integrate into the Irish community.
"I made a choice to come out here, and to stay here, but you would think of the 'what ifs' from time to time when you're watching Mayo on the TV. But, the most thing I'd miss would be playing for Moy Davitts.
"I miss playing with my friends, all the good people involved with the club, and the comraderie. I'd love to have played more with Gary Ruane. Maybe the club could have pushed on a bit more if I hadn't come out here and Pat McNicholas hadn't gone to Boston."
But whatever about Moy Davitts' progress without him, he can't imagine life without New York. He likes his work as a carpenter, loves the American lifestyle, and enjoys nothing more than watching the Giants, Jets or Yankees when the American football and baseball seasons are in full swing.
Right now though his focus is on next Sunday. Like everybody else, he's not too sure how things will pan out but he intends to draw on his past experiences.
"We just really won't know until ten or fifteen minutes into the match whether we have the mental capacity, as a team, to deal with everything that's going on," he admitted.
"Realistically, I'd be hoping for us to keep it tight and competitive in the first half. Then we can regroup at half-time. We need to start well and not let Mayo get on top early on. If they do, some younger, inexperienced lads could panic and then you're in trouble."

Does anyone know much about the Mayo lads mentioned?

From the article Robert Moran played Mayo Minor.
Dermot Keane played wing back for Knockmore I think
Declan Reilly played FF for Mitchles (I think)
John McNicholas played wing forward for Kiltimagh

Its nice to see them getting on Ok!

Foreverhopeful

look if ronan mcgarrity came home now from a 3 yr stint playing basketball would the current management team call him up.. I seriously doubt it. It was a good call by mchale even if everyone that knew mcgarrity knew he would make it once he got back playing with ballina. Mchale did take the credit but who else was gonna take it! There is no Mcgarrity bashing on this thread from what i see. There is no greater lift for mayo supporters then seeing mcgarrity soaring throught the skies catching a ball. He has been a great asset for us but obviously he is not the finished article. Obviously with Mchale taking a credit for mcgarrity he has to take a loss with someone like John Varley who he thought was gonna make it. As a selector you have to milk the ones you get right cos there is enough bad ones that you will get abuse for.

Looking forward to hearing the mayo team. Know the team selection won't have a major bearing on the next match, it might however give us an indication into one or two positions that are up for grab's..
I'm pretty confident that we will be seeing mayo unleash their twin tower's this weekend. I'm hoping JOM does it because it is our best option.

Farrandeelin

Yeah, you're right about Dermot Keane playing for Knockmore. He was alright for us, but nowhere near county standard though. He's also a relation of mine too.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tubberman

QuoteYeah, you're right about Dermot Keane playing for Knockmore. He was alright for us, but nowhere near county standard though. He's also a relation of mine too.

Well you can't be accused of family bias anyway  ;) :D
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

moysider

Quote from: rosnarun on May 06, 2009, 03:25:01 AM
QuoteBut in fairness you d have to have been an awful gome to have missed him.

THIS IS THE POINT THAT WERE MISSING . HOW EXACTLY WOULD YOU BE AN AWFUL GOM TO MISS A PLAYER WHO HAD NEVER PLAYED CHAMPIONSHIP AND HAD BEEN IN AMERICA FOR 3 YEARs. not that i care who gets the credit for such a brave call . but i find curious the speed at which credit for Mchale Was denied
had to laugh when you deny being parochial and then say there are ballina players that will never get a chance to play for mayo . without names of course . if there are players so ready and able to take a starting jersey  why not shout their names from a roof top to the gome out there that are missing out? esp when you consider some of the 'Talent ' that was indulged from that quarter after their club success.

McGarrity played midfield on the Ballina u21 winning team in county final defeat of Ballagh, I think it was in 2002, while at home from the states on a summer break and was very comfortable. In fact he was outstanding on the day, game played in Knockmore. He s a neighbour of Mchales (literally a stones throw away) and was talked about as the next Mchale since he was 12 or 13. In fact he showed more early promise than Liam. He was an obvious go to when he came back for anbody with a bit of local knowledge. All I m saying is he was nt the big mystery that he was made out to be. McHale would have been well aware of him for years.

The Ballina lads I m referring to are professionals playing other sports in other places who were of intercounty standard. Mcgarrity came back but these wont. I was only making an analogy. For example if Gavin Duffy did a return would Johnno require slaps on the back if he played him and it worked out. Surely it would be an ovious thing to do?

County champions and more so AI winners tend to have talent indulged. Some work, some dont. A couple of ours have.

Foreverhopeful

i'm afraid gavin duffy wouldnt make a difference to us now, beeen out of the game for too long. Rugby totally changes your style. Ger Brady lost some of his football after playing the rugby. Seen as you know the Ballina scene Moysider would you agree? I think anyway from his minor days to the player he is now he has lost some of his football skills.

moysider

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on May 06, 2009, 04:01:50 PM
i'm afraid gavin duffy wouldnt make a difference to us now, beeen out of the game for too long. Rugby totally changes your style. Ger Brady lost some of his football after playing the rugby. Seen as you know the Ballina scene Moysider would you agree? I think anyway from his minor days to the player he is now he has lost some of his football skills.

Still think Duffy could be trained down for the Gaelic. He was probably a better gaelic player than rugby player to start off with. Brady did nt have a defensive side to his game for either code at the top. Good with ball in hand but does nt work hard enough imo. What held him back in rugby also limited him as a gaelic player. Ball carrying was always his strongest point. Not sure the bit of rugby changed him. Not sure he d have turned out any different. Still had some good days in the county jersey and not sure why they ended when they did. He was very good at what he did well.

small white mayoman

Quote from: moysider on May 06, 2009, 01:03:53 AM
[I ll give him credit for McGarrity playing for Mayo, if that makes people happy, because, hey, there may have been others that would nt have entertained him at all. That would nt surprise me either. Not that too many 'supporters' would notice. I had to listen to someone at the week-end, that should know better by now, assert that 'MacDonald never did it when it counted anyway'. I m not sure this current management would have taken Ronan on. Capaple of doing what they did with Danger, all bets are off.  No wonder that 04 management looked like geniuses for playing MCGarrity. But in fairness you d have to have been an awful gome to have missed him.

I have heard that cast up a quite a lot about the blond . Why is it.
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: small white mayoman on May 06, 2009, 04:31:31 PM
Quote from: moysider on May 06, 2009, 01:03:53 AM
[I ll give him credit for McGarrity playing for Mayo, if that makes people happy, because, hey, there may have been others that would nt have entertained him at all. That would nt surprise me either. Not that too many 'supporters' would notice. I had to listen to someone at the week-end, that should know better by now, assert that 'MacDonald never did it when it counted anyway'. I m not sure this current management would have taken Ronan on. Capaple of doing what they did with Danger, all bets are off.  No wonder that 04 management looked like geniuses for playing MCGarrity. But in fairness you d have to have been an awful gome to have missed him.

I have heard that cast up a quite a lot about the blond . Why is it.

Mayo v Sligo, McHale Park, 2001. McDonald didn't start, but he came on a sub. Two young lads in front of me, being football fans, recognised him. "Good man Mac!" they shouted. "You're the man!" And all this.

A few minutes later Mayo got a forty-five. McDonald hit it. Went wide - to the right, I think. "You should have stayed at home COMBING YOUR f**king HAIR!" roared one of the boys who'd been cheering him earlier.

People say that McDonald never did on the other day is because people like gabbing more than they like thinking.

Foreverhopeful

ya i'm sure gavin duffy could be trained to be a gaelic footballer again and maybe do a job for mayo but he wouldnt be as good as he could have been had he stayed at the football rather than play professional rugby.... You seem to miss that point moysider.