Doire v Mhuineacháin 24/5/09

Started by Oakleafer93, April 27, 2009, 12:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidelineKick

Quote from: Final Whistle on May 28, 2009, 05:40:25 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on May 28, 2009, 12:34:52 PM
Christ I'm bored of this thread!
Monaghan think we're to blame for the rough tactics...Derry think Monaghan are to blame...
The game is....we won....can we move on and forget about it please!

Just a wee comment about Sean Cavanagh's article there....I think its a bit rich coming from him about the refs implementing existing rules....if they did, then you could well argue that Tyrone wouldnt have won their first all-ireland due to the manner in which they played....you could also argue that Cavanagh could be spending a lot of time in the stands having been booked for diving and mouthing.

When Was Cavanagh ever booked for diving or mouthing???

Your full of shit tbrick, jealousy gets you nowhere!!

Think you're missing his point.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

SidelineKick

Quote from: the green man on May 28, 2009, 04:35:16 PM
1hr 30min or thereabouts

edit 1hr 32min 27sec

CRINGE!

And there was me giving off about Monaghan diving.  There is NO place for this in our game. This diving shit is why I can't stand soccer. Our game is slowly but surely heading in that direction.

This isn't a personal attack on McKaigue, but he should be ashamed of himself for trying to get someone sent off for nothing.

Reported.

the green man

The pivotal point here, is the movement of McKaigues head. Theres no way he could fake that. Definite punch. Not a big one mind, but still a punch.

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 28, 2009, 10:37:15 AM
Didn't know where to post this article but thought it was relevant after all yer chat this week.

FOOTBALLER of the Year Sean Cavanagh believes referees must act faster and earlier if they're to rid the championship of cynical fouling.

The Tyrone full-forward accepts his side's Ulster SFC clash with Armagh on Sunday will be the subject of close scrutiny. That's a result of last weekend's stormy Ulster tie between Derry and Monaghan which saw one player red carded and 11 yellows dished out.

Cavanagh refused to criticise the players whom, he claims, will always try to get away with as much as possible. Rather he says it's up to referees to be more decisive and to lay down the law in the early stages of games.
"Maybe if referees took a bit more authority and forget about old rules and new rules and concentrate on implementing the rules we might be able to play good, free flowing football," said Cavanagh.
"You don't mind taking the hits as long as they are within the rules.

"But when players are getting away with pulling and dragging away from the ball and scuffles at every opportunity then referees, linesmen and umpires have to deal with it accordingly.
"I don't think it's a point of new rules versus old rules; it's a point of playing within the rules and having them properly enforced."

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Thursday, May 28, 2009

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/cavanagh-calls-on-referees-to-be-stricter-92849.html#ixzz0GnB6GIWn&B

If ever a player got it right this is it. Refs, linesmen and unpires all neglected their resposibility on Sunday, it is up to them to report players breaking rules. i saw the two Bradleys on Sunday getting abused before the ref even threw the ball in, what did the umprires do, nothing just let it go on.  If a player is getting away with abuse on the pitch and the ref doesn't do his job to ensure he can play football then i say give them all you've got until the ref starts protecting you. I have been sayig this for a while now that our officials are all opting out of the big calls. Using arguments that they don't want to send them off is as weak an argument as the weak ref. Why is at these massive games it is the refs mates who are umpires......that sums it up really. The refs mates is left to take the moral high ground and save our games. the hierarchy need to wise up.

full back

IMHO, the umpires & linesmen were more to blame for last Sunday's shenanigans

How many times was the referee alerted throughout the whole game?

imtommygunn

I'd agree. Those umpires should not have been letting the monaghan goalie away with what he was up too.

Oldhacker

Joe Brolly was on the Des Cahiill programme on RTE radio one tonight putting forward was sounded suspiciously like a legal defence for Fergal Doherty when he appears on the expected charges. I missed the start, as I was driving, but, after patronising Dick Clerkin, and saying he could sometimes be an effective midfielder, Brolly went on to put the entire blame for the trouble on the Monaghan man.

According to Brolly, Clerkin was well known for his antics and Darragh O'Se had come off early in a Railway Cup game in protest over his behaviour. Brolly said that Doherty has stud marks on his face and his chest, and had to put up with intolerable intimidation from the start of the game until his red card.

Cahill challenged Brolly on Doherty's own conduct, but Brolly claimed that Doherty had only been letting Clerkin know he was there by flicking at his heels and did not deserve any further punishment.

As a neutral, watching on tv, it seemed to me that Monaghan have more than a little form in this regard but Derry's lost of discipline was probably greater on the day.

It would be very difficult to say who threw the first blow between Doherty and Clerkin, but both were clearly at fault in the incident when they each received yellow cards and Doherty's fingers were far too close to Clerkin's eyes as they tangled on the ground.

Doherty committed another foul on a different Monaghan player shortly afterwards and could easily have got his second yellow at that stage.

In the second half, Clerkin appeared to throw an arm at Doherty but Doherty responded with what were fairly clearly a couple of ankle kicks rather than what might be described as flicks.

As the referee missed this confrontation, it can be expected to form the main part of any post-match investigation. I doubt if Brolly's  explanation  will get Doherty off, but we should find out fairly shortly.

tbrick18

Quote from: SidelineKick on May 28, 2009, 05:48:12 PM
Quote from: Final Whistle on May 28, 2009, 05:40:25 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on May 28, 2009, 12:34:52 PM
Christ I'm bored of this thread!
Monaghan think we're to blame for the rough tactics...Derry think Monaghan are to blame...
The game is....we won....can we move on and forget about it please!

Just a wee comment about Sean Cavanagh's article there....I think its a bit rich coming from him about the refs implementing existing rules....if they did, then you could well argue that Tyrone wouldnt have won their first all-ireland due to the manner in which they played....you could also argue that Cavanagh could be spending a lot of time in the stands having been booked for diving and mouthing.

When Was Cavanagh ever booked for diving or mouthing???

Your full of shit tbrick, jealousy gets you nowhere!!

Think you're missing his point.

Cheers SLK....I wasnt even going to bother trying explaining myself to this wee schoolboy poster.

southderryman

cant be bothered reading the whole thread. what i will say is that i am proud of the way derry stood up to the challenge on sunday. yes there were nasty incidents, and some players on both sides went way over the top, but after the past 2 years against monaghan i'm glad derry stood up to the physical challenge from monaghan.

2007 we were well beaten, a late goal and 2 points put a decent look on the scoreboard. while we were outplayed and out fought by a hungier and more determined team that day, i felt last year they stepped it up a notch in terms of intimidation. ferghal doc was subjected to some very crude challenges of the the ball that day, and he did react and struck clerkin i think it was and should have walked. thats one thing that would worry me about doc, last year against monaghan and donegal he reacted, and i feel opponents will now set out to wind him up.  there were also numerous other off the ball incidents and to be honest too many of out players did not want it enough.

considering we had lockhart, mccusker, cartin, mick mcgoldrick, patsy bradley and muldoon all unavailable for sunday, and given our lack of fight in 07 and 08, i am delighted we won on sunday.

it wasnt pretty but it was effective. yes at times players over stepped the mark, but id rather players fought for the cause instead of bottling out of challenges. we played off the cuff against monaghan in 07 and 08, tried to play attacking football and it didnt work. sunday was all about the result.

i hope we can expand our game the next day against tyrone or armagh and concentrate more on the football as we are capable of better. but as long as we show the determination we did on sunday, then i reckon thats half the battle.

orangeman

Quote from: Oldhacker on May 28, 2009, 08:51:04 PM
Joe Brolly was on the Des Cahiill programme on RTE radio one tonight putting forward was sounded suspiciously like a legal defence for Fergal Doherty when he appears on the expected charges. I missed the start, as I was driving, but, after patronising Dick Clerkin, and saying he could sometimes be an effective midfielder, Brolly went on to put the entire blame for the trouble on the Monaghan man.

According to Brolly, Clerkin was well known for his antics and Darragh O'Se had come off early in a Railway Cup game in protest over his behaviour. Brolly said that Doherty has stud marks on his face and his chest, and had to put up with intolerable intimidation from the start of the game until his red card.

Cahill challenged Brolly on Doherty's own conduct, but Brolly claimed that Doherty had only been letting Clerkin know he was there by flicking at his heels and did not deserve any further punishment.

As a neutral, watching on tv, it seemed to me that Monaghan have more than a little form in this regard but Derry's lost of discipline was probably greater on the day.

It would be very difficult to say who threw the first blow between Doherty and Clerkin, but both were clearly at fault in the incident when they each received yellow cards and Doherty's fingers were far too close to Clerkin's eyes as they tangled on the ground.

Doherty committed another foul on a different Monaghan player shortly afterwards and could easily have got his second yellow at that stage.

In the second half, Clerkin appeared to throw an arm at Doherty but Doherty responded with what were fairly clearly a couple of ankle kicks rather than what might be described as flicks.

As the referee missed this confrontation, it can be expected to form the main part of any post-match investigation. I doubt if Brolly's  explanation  will get Doherty off, but we should find out fairly shortly.

I think you'll find Gary Mc Quaid ( I think ) had Fergal's stud marks on his back after he tramped over him whilst on the ground. These studs were liberally used on Sunday by both sides it seems.

Main Street

;D  ;D
About as likely a story as from the police giving an account of how the prisoner fell from the 4th floor window.

Derry have not stopped squealing "he made me do it". 
Are Derry people not embarrassed by this emasculated idiot?

SidelineKick

Quote from: Main Street on May 29, 2009, 01:46:44 AM
;D  ;D
About as likely a story as from the police giving an account of how the prisoner fell from the 4th floor window.

Not one bit, I think Joseph is a fine ambassador for the oak leaf county.

Why would we be embarrassed?  What exactly is it that makes you call a barrister an idiot?

Reported.

southoftheborder

Quote from: southderryman on May 28, 2009, 09:55:19 PM
cant be bothered reading the whole thread. what i will say is that i am proud of the way derry stood up to the challenge on sunday. yes there were nasty incidents, and some players on both sides went way over the top, but after the past 2 years against monaghan i'm glad derry stood up to the physical challenge from monaghan.

2007 we were well beaten, a late goal and 2 points put a decent look on the scoreboard. while we were outplayed and out fought by a hungier and more determined team that day, i felt last year they stepped it up a notch in terms of intimidation. ferghal doc was subjected to some very crude challenges of the the ball that day, and he did react and struck clerkin i think it was and should have walked. thats one thing that would worry me about doc, last year against monaghan and donegal he reacted, and i feel opponents will now set out to wind him up.  there were also numerous other off the ball incidents and to be honest too many of out players did not want it enough.

considering we had lockhart, mccusker, cartin, mick mcgoldrick, patsy bradley and muldoon all unavailable for sunday, and given our lack of fight in 07 and 08, i am delighted we won on sunday.

it wasnt pretty but it was effective. yes at times players over stepped the mark, but id rather players fought for the cause instead of bottling out of challenges. we played off the cuff against monaghan in 07 and 08, tried to play attacking football and it didnt work. sunday was all about the result.

i hope we can expand our game the next day against tyrone or armagh and concentrate more on the football as we are capable of better. but as long as we show the determination we did on sunday, then i reckon thats half the battle.

wots that about????

Maguire01

Quote from: Main Street on May 29, 2009, 01:46:44 AM
;D  ;D

To be honest, unlike Tohill, I find Brolly very entertaining as a pundit, but both are unable to comment objectively on games involving Derry.

Maguire01

Quote from: southderryman on May 28, 2009, 09:55:19 PM
2007 we were well beaten, a late goal and 2 points put a decent look on the scoreboard. while we were outplayed and out fought by a hungier and more determined team that day, i felt last year they stepped it up a notch in terms of intimidation. ferghal doc was subjected to some very crude challenges of the the ball that day, and he did react and struck clerkin i think it was and should have walked. thats one thing that would worry me about doc, last year against monaghan and donegal he reacted, and i feel opponents will now set out to wind him up. 
You're off message there - Sunday was (apparently) totally out of character.