The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan partridge

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

bingobus

Time for some debate, seen it on other forums but team of the decade. Not a glorious decade but some great moments - Istannbul, Cardiff, the "treble", Chelsea semi's, etc.

When selecting the team, its very apparent how poor we've been down the left with no stand out players. My team

Reina - A no brainer.

Babbel - a real star, super engine and a big miss when he got ill. Finnan a very close second.
Hypia - super sami, very consistent and a rock for years.
Carra - a real natural leader and very solid with Sami. Nearly considered for LB. Others for CB - Henchoz, Agger but too soon for him.
Aurelio - When fit, the most rounded LB we've had. Alternatives - Riise (early years yes, later years no), Carra, Traroe  ???

Hamann - the Kasier. A legend, had it all. Masch closing the gap but not the passing range...yet.
Alonso - The pass master, lost his way in between but shoots, passes, tackles, gets opponents sent off. Gerard could also have slotted in here. Would love to see Gary Mac in as well.

Wide Right - Another problem position. I'd pick Gerard, has to be in and would rather him central but to keep balance and lack of alternatives. Others Bennyoun, Danny Murphy, Kuyt, Pennant, Cisse??, Barmby, Diouf??, not easy.
Wide left - another toughie.I'd go for Garcia. Lack of alternatives - Kewell, Gonzalez, Babel, Riera, Riise etc etc

Striker - Torres, A shoe in
Striker 2 - Owen. In the early years he couldn't be faulted and never didn't do the business for LFC. Not popular now but has struggled since he left. Fowler was more of a 90's man. Heskey also very good for years.

Team - Reina, Babbel, Sami, Carra, Aurelio, Hamann, Alonso, Gerard, Garcia, Torres, Owen.

Subs - Dubek, Finnan, Henchoz, Masch, Benny, Heskey.

Hard to pick and says alot about the year.

Team of Dud is easier:

Intanje, Josemi, Pellegrino, Palletta, Trarore, Cheyrou, Daio, Biscan, Ziege, Diouf, Morinetas

Subs: Westerveld, Gonzalez, Dossena, Keane  ;) , Voronin, Doimede, La Tellec, Song, etc etc etc

quit yo jibbajabba

without having a go at a team of the decade myself; i just have to repeat that that has thoroughly depressed me at how sh1t we have been down he left...................for ten years...............TEN YEARS!!!

surely we've missed somebody? :-[

bingobus

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on December 03, 2009, 12:33:34 PM
without having a go at a team of the decade myself; i just have to repeat that that has thoroughly depressed me at how sh1t we have been down he left...................for ten years...............TEN YEARS!!!

surely we've missed somebody? :-[

Its quite shocking. Maybe Paddy Berger or Vlad Smicer, good players at times but never the top class player that would spring to mind. Kewell was the one but never delivered.

quit yo jibbajabba

berger! good shout; well, better than a lot of names mentioned;
not sure how long he played for this decade; but youve cheered me up a bit; good man!

overall, some serious mediocrity in that list chap; would we have half a dozen top top notch players this decade?

fook, im depressed again;

bingobus

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on December 03, 2009, 12:43:56 PM
berger! good shout; well, better than a lot of names mentioned;
not sure how long he played for this decade; but youve cheered me up a bit; good man!

overall, some serious mediocrity in that list chap; would we have half a dozen top top notch players this decade?

fook, im depressed again;

My top notch players would be - Reina, Sami, Carra, Gerard, Hamann, Alonso, Masch, Torrres, Owen.

My basis for top notch would be that for a consistent period over 3/4 years they where as good as anyone in their position. Some will debate Hamann and Carra while Masch isn't even in my forst 11. But thats how it is. I reckon United/Chelsea/Arsenal would have maybe at least double us.

Silky

Gary McAllister deserves a slot in Mid field. He was very consistance.

bingobus

Quote from: Silky on December 03, 2009, 01:30:22 PM

Gary Mac was super and you could argue that he was driving force behind the treble. His second year he only played a bit part role. Pity we never had him 10 years earlier.

stevo-08

reina

babbel  carra sami    riise

Hamann
   alonso        mccallister

Gerrard
      Torres     Owen

No width in that team above, but that's just an indication of liverpool's lack of width over last 10 years. Would be up to babbel & riise to provide any width going forward. Finnan very unlucky to lose out at rb. At lb, Riise in earlier years was excellent and way above aurelio IMO. Midfield a difficult one but alonso and hamann automatic for me. McCallister only played for about 3 seasons but probably did enough for inclusion. Mascherano very unlucky to lose out. And as for the forward trio - nothing really needs to be said.

bingobus

Blackburn tomorrow. Torres back in fold.

Another win. 2-1. That is all.

Minder

Quote from: bingobus on December 04, 2009, 02:59:09 PM

Torres ruled out.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Chrisowc

Quote from: bingobus on December 03, 2009, 02:02:24 PM
Quote from: Silky on December 03, 2009, 01:30:22 PM

Gary Mac was super and you could argue that he was driving force behind the treble. His second year he only played a bit part role. Pity we never had him 10 years earlier.

Had a few beers with Gary Mac's dad on the eve of the UEFA Cup final in Dortmund and he said that a move was lined up but Sounness was announced as manager and he refused to play for him.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

bingobus

Quote from: Minder on December 04, 2009, 03:17:28 PM
Quote from: bingobus on December 04, 2009, 02:59:09 PM

Torres ruled out.

No worries, we'll win 2-0 then. Not be as cavilier with him in side  ;)

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

If you were to do the same thing 'top 4' sides, make a team of the decade, the quality would be much much better. Arsenal, Utd and chelsea would have 2 big big names for each position probably, be harder to pick them. That Duds team you made just made me laugh! Liverpool really did sign some rejects over the years! The one that really gets to me is Harry Kewell. Promised so so much, we all really thought he had it, that he would be the next big thing for the team...very dissapointing..