Dog Advice

Started by tbrick18, May 01, 2013, 09:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Dont agree with dogs being kept in sheds in gardens. Why bother with one at all?

But if you must, a Jack Russel, or any small mongerel terrier is probably best. Smart and good with kids as well.

tbrick18

Quote from: moysider on May 02, 2013, 10:32:50 AM
Dont agree with dogs being kept in sheds in gardens. Why bother with one at all?

But if you must, a Jack Russel, or any small mongerel terrier is probably best. Smart and good with kids as well.

Can you explain why? Personally I dont agree with animals of any sort being kept in the house for hygiene and odour purposes.
That doesn't mean we wouldn't look after it properly, but at the end of the day its an animal, not a person and should be treated as any other animal. I was brought up on a farm, though we never had dogs, but all our animals were kept in sheds...they didn't seem to mind too much.

BennyCake

No animal should get through the door. I can't fathom these house dogs who are treated better than a child, and the house is feckin' stinking because the owners can't smell it, as their smell becomes atuned to it.

Hardy

I don't agree with dogs being kept in the house. How do you teach them to wipe their arses? Would you live with a human walking around where you eat with dangleberries hanging out of him?

snoopdog

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 02, 2013, 10:21:11 AM
Ok....so now we're onto the topic of dangerous dogs.
Not really the intention of this thread, but some interesting points.
For what its worth, I wouldnt leave a child on its own with a dog...unless it's a really small dog and the child is at least 8 or 9.
Anything other than that its not worth the risk. Animals is animals and all that.

My kids range from 7 all the way down to 9 months. So part of the reason why I was thinking of a small dog as opposed to the likes of a labrador was the safety aspect. And as we have twin 9 month old babies, I wouldnt want it in the house.

So should we go for one, it would have to be a small dog that's hardy enough to sleep outside (in a shed) at night. we've a good size garden and ample space in a shed to protect a dog from elements.

So what breed to go for, given the age of the kids and the requirements for it to stay outside?
My opinion i would wait 18 months until the babies are older, could pick up anything from a dog, regardless of whether they are around it, the other kids will be.

Orior

Quote from: Hardy on May 02, 2013, 11:43:55 AM

I don't agree with dogs being kept in the house. How do you teach them to wipe their arses? Would you live with a human walking around where you eat with dangleberries hanging out of him?

Dogs generally never sh1te on their own doorstep. They have quite a clever "exhaust" system that means they never need to wipe their arses (unlike cows).

PS. Have you never spent time in a naturist reserve? You should give it a try!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Hardy

Quote from: Orior on May 02, 2013, 04:41:00 PM
PS. Have you never spent time in a naturist reserve? You should give it a try!

I've been in Newcastle on a Saturday night.

Captain Obvious

Plenty of people in hospitals or homes aren't able to wipe their own arses. Should they be kept outside in a shed?

5 Sams

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 02, 2013, 05:52:33 PM

Plenty of people in hospitals or homes aren't able to wipe their own arses. Should they be kept outside in a shed?

Has to be one of the posts of the year Captain.  ;D ;D
The Aristocrat Years

Tony Baloney

Edwin Poots is trying to organise that at the minute.

5 Sams

R :-\ Unfortunately you're right. :-\
The Aristocrat Years

moysider

Quote from: BennyCake on May 02, 2013, 11:39:19 AM
No animal should get through the door. I can't fathom these house dogs who are treated better than a child, and the house is feckin' stinking because the owners can't smell it, as their smell becomes atuned to it.

If you feel that way about it, fine. But please dont inflict your standards on some poor dog.

I used to breed pedigree labs and cairns. Not farming, just a couple of litters from pet, house bitches. I always made sure that no pup would end up in a shed. Easy enough to suss out that before committing a pup.

If you feel a dog should not be in the house then do dogs a favour and let them have a better life. Farm dogs, guard dogs and pack dogs are different of course. Single family pet dogs kept in sheds and given the odd walk and thrown the odd ball draw the short straw. Let somebody else have them. People that like dogs, rather than people that don t like dogs but want to keep their kids onside. Forget about dogs. Anybody that thinks a dog is an animal should not keep a dog. Anybody that questions that should definitely not keep a dog.  Anybody that thinks a dog shouldn t get inside a door should never bother with a dog. Dogs are a social animal that feels part of a pack, and behaves as such. Confining it to a shed apart is only going to make it miserable. Of course it will wag its tail and fawn when you feed it and will go wild when it gets a walk because thet like to please. But most dogs have a miserable time of it. A lot of people that think they re giving a dog a good home should really get a cat instead. Cats are loners and can cope with or without attention.

tbrick18

The difference of course is that dogs are animals and people are.....well, people! Are you saying that dogs are on an equal standing with people?
Either you REALLY love dogs, or REALLY DONT like people!

tbrick18

Quote from: moysider on May 03, 2013, 12:37:45 AM

If you feel that way about it, fine. But please dont inflict your standards on some poor dog.

I used to breed pedigree labs and cairns. Not farming, just a couple of litters from pet, house bitches. I always made sure that no pup would end up in a shed. Easy enough to suss out that before committing a pup.

If you feel a dog should not be in the house then do dogs a favour and let them have a better life. Farm dogs, guard dogs and pack dogs are different of course. Single family pet dogs kept in sheds and given the odd walk and thrown the odd ball draw the short straw. Let somebody else have them. People that like dogs, rather than people that don t like dogs but want to keep their kids onside. Forget about dogs. Anybody that thinks a dog is an animal should not keep a dog. Anybody that questions that should definitely not keep a dog.  Anybody that thinks a dog shouldn t get inside a door should never bother with a dog. Dogs are a social animal that feels part of a pack, and behaves as such. Confining it to a shed apart is only going to make it miserable. Of course it will wag its tail and fawn when you feed it and will go wild when it gets a walk because thet like to please. But most dogs have a miserable time of it. A lot of people that think they re giving a dog a good home should really get a cat instead. Cats are loners and can cope with or without attention.

WOW! Are you a dog psychologists? It amazes me how some people are able to understand how an animal feels in its head!
You could make a fortune with that skill. When did you first realise you could get inside the dogs head?  ::)

And as for the part in bold, last time I looked a Dog is an animal. There's no debating that.

trileacman

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 03, 2013, 09:24:25 AM
Quote from: moysider on May 03, 2013, 12:37:45 AM

WOW! Are you a dog psychologists? It amazes me how some people are able to understand how an animal feels in its head!
You could make a fortune with that skill. When did you first realise you could get inside the dogs head?  ::)

And as for the part in bold, last time I looked a Dog is an animal. There's no debating that.

You're caught there Moysider. There's no disputing that a dog is an animal. Anything else is just bullshit.

If you had such regard for dogs and their behaivour then why would you force one to make an unnatural association with a different species? Raising a dog in a human household is the same principal as letting a child be raised by wolves. If you are so in tune with dogs and their "social" needs then you'd allow it to roam free in a pack with the freedom to hunt, rather than being kept in a stone fort and being feed dry chicken necks.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014