Dog Advice

Started by tbrick18, May 01, 2013, 09:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: Billys Boots on May 01, 2013, 04:35:21 PM
Dog advice - if you're not 100% sure and committed to having a dog, don't do it.  For your sake and theirs. 

... and the neighbours'.

The Iceman

Quote from: BennyCake on May 01, 2013, 06:24:02 PM
I don't understand why anyone would have killer dogs anywhere near children. I wouldn't trust any dog, but especially not dobermans, rottweilers etc.
Any dog abused by its owners could be a killer dog.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

BennyCake

Quote from: The Iceman on May 01, 2013, 07:55:29 PM
I don't understand why anyone would have killer dogs anywhere near children. I wouldn't trust any dog, but especially not dobermans, rottweilers etc.

A dog doesn't have to have been abused to be a potential killer. Any dog is capable of ripping a young child to pieces, or doing serious harm.

The Iceman

Quote from: BennyCake on May 01, 2013, 08:03:47 PM

A dog doesn't have to have been abused to be a potential killer. Any dog is capable of ripping a young child to pieces, or doing serious harm.
So you're not a dog person then.
What about most farm animals? A good kick from a cow or a goat or a butt from a yo would do serious harm or even kill a child. Do you trust them?

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

BennyCake

Quote from: The Iceman on May 01, 2013, 08:10:45 PM
What about most farm animals? A good kick from a cow or a goat or a butt from a yo would do serious harm or even kill a child. Do you trust them?

It's not a case of whether I'm a dog person or not. Alot of dogs live in the home these days, around young children all the time. Most farm animals like cows, sheep, horses etc have their own environment/spaces, for obvious reasons. And no, I wouldn't trust them when around them either. But most people would exercise caution with children around animals, but don't seem to with dogs.

The Iceman

the dog is a domesticated animal. It's ok if you dont understand why people have dogs in their homes or trust that their family pets wont kill their kids.
We can agree to disagree.
I love dogs. I love big dogs. This will be my second Doberman - I wouldn't have another breed (at this point)

Orior

Also, if you're not sure about commitment, then buy a couple of goldfish.

That requires discipline from the kids, and after a week see if they get bored with cleaning the bowl etc.

PS. Give the 2 goldfish names like "One" and "Two". Therefore if one dies you will still have two.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

qubdub

Quote from: BennyCake on May 01, 2013, 08:35:45 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on May 01, 2013, 08:10:45 PM

It's not a case of whether I'm a dog person or not. Alot of dogs live in the home these days, around young children all the time. Most farm animals like cows, sheep, horses etc have their own environment/spaces, for obvious reasons. And no, I wouldn't trust them when around them either. But most people would exercise caution with children around animals, but don't seem to with dogs.
Any dog owner with half a brain cell wouldn't leave a young child or toddler unsupervised with a pet dog.

moysider

Not true.

moysider

Also not true.

BennyCake

Quote from: moysider on May 01, 2013, 11:22:06 PM

Also not true.

Which bit isn't true?

trileacman

Also not true.

What part isn't true?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

moysider

Quote from: trileacman on May 02, 2013, 12:25:27 AM

Also not true.

What part isn't true?

The bits in bold are both shite. The underlined bits especially so. Go have a look at a few dog breeds. They re not all Rotts, Dobers and Pitts.

People that keep King Charles, Labs, Chi s, Shi s etc. are not likely to abuse by negligance ,or deliberately abuse their dogs to be vicious. But some 'individuals'  will buy a pup from a breed of reputation for viciousness, for status, and treat it as a young Mike Tyson. I've  see this happening. I m aware of at least one person that tried to make an Alsatian vicious by kicking the shite out of it. That does happen with certain individuals and certain breeds of dogs. In this instance the poor dog was a patsy with all temper bred out of it. But that type of stuff goes on.
In the big scheme 99% of dogs are 100%.

Puckoon

Moysider, you're way off base with the assertion that any dog cannot cause damage. I'm a dog lover, and I think you're trying to say that most dogs WON'T cause damage. That's very very different from saying that they CAN'T cause damage. They are animals, with physical mechanisms designed for hunting and or protection. Any dog breed can inflict damage, particularly on a small child or baby. Just cause it's a King Charles doesn't mean it doesn't have the apparatus to hurt.

tbrick18

Ok....so now we're onto the topic of dangerous dogs.
Not really the intention of this thread, but some interesting points.
For what its worth, I wouldnt leave a child on its own with a dog...unless it's a really small dog and the child is at least 8 or 9.
Anything other than that its not worth the risk. Animals is animals and all that.

My kids range from 7 all the way down to 9 months. So part of the reason why I was thinking of a small dog as opposed to the likes of a labrador was the safety aspect. And as we have twin 9 month old babies, I wouldnt want it in the house.

So should we go for one, it would have to be a small dog that's hardy enough to sleep outside (in a shed) at night. we've a good size garden and ample space in a shed to protect a dog from elements.

So what breed to go for, given the age of the kids and the requirements for it to stay outside?