Dog Advice

Started by tbrick18, May 01, 2013, 09:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beer baron

Friend of mine got a little dog called a Bichon friese i think it is,very friendly little white dog,not too mad and don't shed any hair at all  :D Unlike my Jack Russell who sheds enough to fill the hoover every day  >:( Where does it all come from?She's tiny

Jeepers Creepers

Dogs are pack animals, and will see a family as the pack if no other dogs are around. Therefore do not like being alone. And small 'toy' dogs can frighten easy especially when left alone so tend to attach themselves to their owners more. Thats why Guard dogs are always anger merchants

qubdub

anyone any dealings with rottweilers?

Hound

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on May 01, 2013, 03:15:05 PM
Dogs are pack animals, and will see a family as the pack if no other dogs are around. Therefore do not like being alone. And small 'toy' dogs can frighten easy especially when left alone so tend to attach themselves to their owners more. Thats why Guard dogs are always anger merchants
Indeed.
A small dog left outside all the time, rarely if ever gets walked, on it own for a big part of the day, will be absolutely miserable.
A big dog would be worse.
All would be more likely to become cranky.

tbrick18

So if I'm reading this right, a small dog really needs to be kept in the house?
If the dog was to be kept outside it would need to be one of the larger types as it doesnt get as attached or scared as easy?

Jeez, it's starting to sound like more bother than its worth.

Anyone know anything about Goldfish?

Billys Boots

Dog advice - if you're not 100% sure and committed to having a dog, don't do it.  For your sake and theirs. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Gabriel_Hurl

Having a dog is like having a child

Seriously

The Iceman

Quote from: qubdub on May 01, 2013, 03:54:41 PM
Great family dogs. Females much smaller and easier handled. Very very smart. Good protectors and companions for kids.
We have a new 18 month old doberman coming on the 18th of this month  - can't wait!

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Aerlik

I house-shared with a lad in Queensland who had the most beautiful natured large dog I have ever had the pleasure of being around, a Rottweiler.  He was absolutely fantastic and I used to love taking him for walks. He was powerful and intelligent but scared shitless of the cat.  BUT, God help any other dog round about as he would have torn lumps out of him.  Sadly he died only two years ago at aged 8.  Bear that in mind with any dog bigger than a Collie.
I cannot say enough about Jack Russells.  We had a few when I was a wane growing up in Co.Derry.  Loyal, funny, great guard dogs, superb around young children, and we never had any issues with them staying out in the shed at night, just so long as they were kept warm.  If you do decide to get a JR, don't do what Aussies do and spend hundreds for what is essentially a mongrel.  We had a JR that could count.  We would ask: Two from two, and it would say nothing.

Re. temperament around children, as with any dog as long as you train the dog from day dot that it is the bottom of the hierarchy you shouldn't have any issues.  I know people who had a Belgian Shepherd for a family pet.  They are used by French police and are considered more aggressive and effective than Alsations, Dobermans and Rotties.  Those people never had any issues.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

snoopdog

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on May 01, 2013, 12:59:38 PM
Remember, Gun dogs/hounds/sporting dogs (labs,setters,springers, collies etc) will need at least one hour 'off lead' high tempo excercise a day otherwise they will literally go round the bend.
Small dogs (Wesites, yorkies etc) dont need alot of excercise with smaller legs ie throw a ball up and down the drive for a half hour is suffice but they mightened adapt to sleeping outside.
My bet is to get a gold fish! Only joking. 'If' you do proceed I would recomend a mongrel / cross bred not mixed with high energy breeds as a pup from a local kennell or rehoming centre.
Think long and hard.......
wouldnt have a westie near young kids. They arent the friendliest. i know from seeing my neighbours westie go for a baby, the dog was fine any other time i seen it but it flipped once. didnt last after that incident. Rightly so.

Gabriel_Hurl

Btw – I should say I have a ten month old beagle – and he's brilliant.  ;D

He gets a 20 minute walk in the morning, 45 minutes to an hour off-lead in the dog park when I get home and another quick 10 minute walk before bedtime.

tbrick18

Quote from: snoopdog on May 01, 2013, 04:53:40 PM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on May 01, 2013, 12:59:38 PM
Remember, Gun dogs/hounds/sporting dogs (labs,setters,springers, collies etc) will need at least one hour 'off lead' high tempo excercise a day otherwise they will literally go round the bend.
Small dogs (Wesites, yorkies etc) dont need alot of excercise with smaller legs ie throw a ball up and down the drive for a half hour is suffice but they mightened adapt to sleeping outside.
My bet is to get a gold fish! Only joking. 'If' you do proceed I would recomend a mongrel / cross bred not mixed with high energy breeds as a pup from a local kennell or rehoming centre.
Think long and hard.......
wouldnt have a westie near young kids. They arent the friendliest. i know from seeing my neighbours westie go for a baby, the dog was fine any other time i seen it but it flipped once. didnt last after that incident. Rightly so.

Fook that! I would have thought its one of the mildest temperament of breeds, but cheers for the info. I'll defo be avoiding it if we do decide to go for one.

Aerlik

Quote from: snoopdog on May 01, 2013, 04:53:40 PM

My brother has a Westie. It is an absolute angel.  Well bred and a great wee pet.  Now the Cairn Terrier, however, my aunt had one and Jesus any time you move the fekker would make a go for you.  When the aunt wasn't watching the hoor got a skelp from me.  Fekker
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

qubdub

Quote from: The Iceman on May 01, 2013, 04:44:33 PM
Great family dogs. Females much smaller and easier handled. Very very smart. Good protectors and companions for kids.
We have a new 18 month old doberman coming on the 18th of this month  - can't wait!

Quote from: Aerlik on May 01, 2013, 04:48:58 PM

I house-shared with a lad in Queensland who had the most beautiful natured large dog I have ever had the pleasure of being around, a Rottweiler.  He was absolutely fantastic and I used to love taking him for walks. He was powerful and intelligent but scared shitless of the cat.  BUT, God help any other dog round about as he would have torn lumps out of him.  Sadly he died only two years ago at aged 8.  Bear that in mind with any dog bigger than a Collie.
have a female lab already but she's getting old and am considering a pup for some companionship for her as she is alone a lot of the time. would love a rottweiler (or another lab - something that needs plenty of exercise) but people seem put off by rottweilers.

I've a theory, dogs are only as good or as bad as they've been trained.

BennyCake

I don't understand why anyone would have killer dogs anywhere near children. I wouldn't trust any dog, but especially not dobermans, rottweilers etc.