Sh*t just got real in Tyrone

Started by Don Johnson, November 27, 2012, 07:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: God14 on November 27, 2012, 08:46:49 PM
McCarron not mentioned but on ur list??

mccarrons name was in the original article and then he tweeted this:
'I have had a few phone calls their. And i would just like to say to all my followers not to listen to what Ciaran Woods has up on Gaeliclife '
and his name was removed!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Zulu

I don't think journalists lose the run of themselves they just put a more dramatic spin on things for the benefit of the reader and the sport itself. What are GAA journos meant to say at this time of the year? - 'bugger all happening here, please turn the page to the soccer and rugby sections'.

No panel is picked in November so if any of those boys put their hands up for selection in 2013 I'm sure we'll see them again.

EC Unique

Good to see Ciaran Mc Ginley get a chance. He had a great year for Errigal. :)

mattockranger

Is McGinley a defender?

However i seen him start on the wing for errigal all this season...
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

EC Unique

Quote from: mattockranger on November 28, 2012, 05:05:04 PM

Is McGinley a defender?

Can play wing half forward (IMO is best position) or as an attacking wing half back. Has a serious engine and is in great physical shape. If he keeps the head right could be the real deal. McGuckian seems to have got him playing as a team player where as before he was more of an individual.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: EC Unique on November 28, 2012, 05:53:00 PM
Quote from: mattockranger on November 28, 2012, 05:05:04 PM

Is McGinley a defender?

Can play wing half forward (IMO is best position) or as an attacking wing half back. Has a serious engine and is in great physical shape. If he keeps the head right could be the real deal. McGuckian seems to have got him playing as a team player where as before he was more of an individual.

I thought he was very quiet against Ballinderry. Young Mc Kinless done well on him and roughed him up rightly. In saying that I've only seen him the once. Seemed very pacey.

Redhand Santa

It'll be interesting to hear from Harte to see what his plans are. It sounds like there is no doubt that multiple players have been dropped. Maybe he felt he needed to make a statement to the squad that no one's guarenteed a place.

I've seen 3 or 4 Errigal games recently and not surprised by the 3 players that it says in the Irish News that are being considered. Felt at times Tierney was very good and possibly the most consistent of the 3. Plunkett Kane is also a very athletic player who I felt for a few years might be worth a look at. Grugan by all accounts had been going well for Omagh and had looked a good talent at minor level. Morgan seems to be a very good keeper.

Does anyone know much about Barry Tierney, Kevin Gallagher, Danny McBride or Dean McNally? Did they all play underage for Tyrone? What age are they and what position do they play for the club? I think both McNally and McBride are defenders. We definitely need to find a few good strong man markers.

I also feel some extra power is needed around midfield. Perhaps Warnock is being considered for here. I assumed Grugan at this level would be considered more for the half forward line. Warnock looked good to me at u21 level but possibly had stamina issues. Wouldn't have minded seeing McGinley back now but guess he wouldn't have been interested.

All in all I think its going to lead to a very interesting McKenna Cup for Tyrone. I actually enjoy seeing the new players during it.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Redhand Santa on November 28, 2012, 09:27:47 PM
It'll be interesting to hear from Harte to see what his plans are. It sounds like there is no doubt that multiple players have been dropped. Maybe he felt he needed to make a statement to the squad that no one's guarenteed a place.

I've seen 3 or 4 Errigal games recently and not surprised by the 3 players that it says in the Irish News that are being considered. Felt at times Tierney was very good and possibly the most consistent of the 3. Plunkett Kane is also a very athletic player who I felt for a few years might be worth a look at. Grugan by all accounts had been going well for Omagh and had looked a good talent at minor level. Morgan seems to be a very good keeper.

Does anyone know much about Barry Tierney, Kevin Gallagher, Danny McBride or Dean McNally? Did they all play underage for Tyrone? What age are they and what position do they play for the club? I think both McNally and McBride are defenders. We definitely need to find a few good strong man markers.

I also feel some extra power is needed around midfield. Perhaps Warnock is being considered for here. I assumed Grugan at this level would be considered more for the half forward line. Warnock looked good to me at u21 level but possibly had stamina issues. Wouldn't have minded seeing McGinley back now but guess he wouldn't have been interested.

All in all I think its going to lead to a very interesting McKenna Cup for Tyrone. I actually enjoy seeing the new players during it.

Danny McBride is a midfielder.

Kevin Gallagher is also a midfielder, but a bit small for that role at County level I'd of thought. Can play half forward too when I've seen him, and I've never seen him have a bad game.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Redhand Santa

He obviously is trying to find new options around the middle. Is McBride big? A lot of the top teams now seem to have one big powerful midfielder. We don't have anyone for this role. Id say Harte is looking for very athletic strong running players which will allow us to compete with Donegal.

5 Sams

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 28, 2012, 09:50:47 AM
Quote from: God14 on November 27, 2012, 08:46:49 PM
McCarron not mentioned but on ur list??

mccarrons name was in the original article and then he tweeted this:
'I have had a few phone calls their. And i would just like to say to all my followers not to listen to what Ciaran Woods has up on Gaeliclife '
and his name was removed!

Does McCarron not work for the GL? Does he not talk to his colleagues? He wants to brush up on his grammar if wants to get writing articles :-\
The Aristocrat Years

Archie Mitchell

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/northern-ireland/20535903

Tyrone boss Harte rings changes for 2013 squad

Tyrone boss Mickey Harte has heralded a new era for the county, confirming a major overhaul of his squad and the departure of 11 established players.

Fourteen new faces are in the 2013 squad while John Devine, Damien McCaul, Brian McGuigan, Owen Mulligan, Davy Harte and Sean O'Neill are left out. Stephen McNally, Niall McKenna, Aidan Cassidy, Peter Hughes and Ciaran Gervin are also omitted. Only five members of the 2003 All-Ireland title-winning squad remain. The are Stephen O'Neill, Conor Gormley, Sean Cavanagh, Pascal McConnell and Dermot Carlin. Mulligan's future remains unclear, with the attacker involved in Sunday's Ulster Club IFC final with his club Cookstown. Cathal McCarron, who had reportedly also been let go by the treble All-Ireland winning manager, remains a member of the 39-man squad. Niall Morgan of Edendork would appear to be a ready-made replacement for goalkeeper Devine, bringing a Stephen Cluxton-style asset with his ability to kick points from long range free kicks. The leading scorer in Tyrone's Division One, Conor McAliskey of Clonoe, is another recruit, as is Coalisland midfielder Plunkett Kane. Harte may take another look at both players in Saturday's league final. Ardboe's McGuigan clan will continue to be represented, with Brian's younger brother Shea given his opportunity to step up to the inter-county scene. Harte revealed last week that he had his eye on a number of players from his own club Errigal Ciaran, and he has included three - Ciaran McGinley, Tommy Canavan and Stefan Tierney. Omagh pair Conan Grugan and Barry Tierney have also received call-ups, as have Danny McBride of Strabane, Kevin Gallagher (Newtownstewart), Dean McNally (Kildress), Sean Warnock (Greencastle) and Tiernan McCann (Killyclogher).

Tyrone squad: Pascal McConnell (Newtonstewart), Aidan McCrory (Errigal Ciaran), Conor Clarke (Omagh), Cathal McCarron (Dromore), Mickey Murphy (Galbally), Mark Donnelly (Carrickmore), Colm Cavanagh (Moy), Conor Gormley (Carrickmore), PJ Quinn (Moortown), Mattie Donnelly (Trillick), Joe McMahon (Omagh), Peter Harte (Errigal Ciaran), Johnny Lafferty (Urney), Paddy McNeice (Coalisland), Ronan McNabb (Dromore), Dermot Carlin (Killyclogher), Martin Penrose (Carrickmore), Stephen O'Neill (Clann na nGael), Darren McCurry (Edendork), Ronan McNamee (Aghyaran), Ronan O'Neill (Omagh), Justin McMahon (Omagh), Kyle Coney (Ardboe), Sean Cavanagh (Moy), Stephen McNulty (Clonoe), Conan Grugan (Omagh), Barry Tierney (Omagh), Plunkett Kane (Coalisland), Ciaran McGinley (Errigal Ciaran), Danny McBride (Strabane), Kevin Gallagher (Newtownstewart), Conor McAliskey (Clonoe), Dean McNally (Kildress), Niall Morgan (Edendork), Stefan Tierney (Errigal Ciaran), Tommy Canavan (Errigal Ciaran), Shea McGuigan (Ardboe), Sean Warnock (Greencastle), Tiernan McCann (Killyclogher)

Redhand Santa

There's a few players on that who are imjured for the McKenna Cup. So it really does appear to be the squad he intends using for the year with a possible few late additions like Mulligan if he wants to play. Can't believe how many changes he's made. Would love to know what that story is with Sean O'Neill and Cassidy. Maybe they aren't available.

TY14ED

Surprised at mckennas exclusion, thought he was our next long term midfielder but he hasn't shown what I think he's capable of since underage level. The occasional glimpse with club & uni but not for 70 with Tyrone. Similar story with Cass but injury always seemed to stall him just when you thought he had grabbed a jersey. Mc caul also had the injury bug for too long but solid defender on his day. Never convinced by Sean red- poor marker & never seemed to read the game like our previous wing men- although their life was easy with mcguigan on hand to take ball from them at every opportunity. I'd say his antics at the end of the county final gave Harte & co all the insight they needed into his mentality. Felt that Maccers had many top attributes for that half back line but didn't get much game time last year. Petey hughes always gave everything & started last year very well until coming off v Kildare- not really seen again. Mulligan if he has the desire to be a bit part player will probably slot in when cookstown are finished. Heard from an errigal man that Devine & Harte decided a few weeks back that they were wrapping up their county careers & he seemed to know that mcguigan was doing the same. As for the new recruits- if they keep developing then it's exciting times. Many of them have really stepped up as senior footballers within the county in this yrs leagues & championships.

With Clarke, Justy, joey, RoneyO & Grugan, Omagh are feeding the county team with some serious talent. Unlike Mugsy I can't wait to get back on the road with the McKenna cup.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: TY14ED on November 28, 2012, 10:56:58 PM
Surprised at mckennas exclusion, thought he was our next long term midfielder but he hasn't shown what I think he's capable of since underage level. The occasional glimpse with club & uni but not for 70 with Tyrone. Similar story with Cass but injury always seemed to stall him just when you thought he had grabbed a jersey. Mc caul also had the injury bug for too long but solid defender on his day. Never convinced by Sean red- poor marker & never seemed to read the game like our previous wing men- although their life was easy with mcguigan on hand to take ball from them at every opportunity. I'd say his antics at the end of the county final gave Harte & co all the insight they needed into his mentality. Felt that Maccers had many top attributes for that half back line but didn't get much game time last year. Petey hughes always gave everything & started last year very well until coming off v Kildare- not really seen again. Mulligan if he has the desire to be a bit part player will probably slot in when cookstown are finished. Heard from an errigal man that Devine & Harte decided a few weeks back that they were wrapping up their county careers & he seemed to know that mcguigan was doing the same. As for the new recruits- if they keep developing then it's exciting times. Many of them have really stepped up as senior footballers within the county in this yrs leagues & championships.

With Clarke, Justy, joey, RoneyO & Grugan, Omagh are feeding the county team with some serious talent. Unlike Mugsy I can't wait to get back on the road with the McKenna cup.

Care to elaborate for a curious (nosey) Derry man?? ;)

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on November 28, 2012, 10:19:35 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/northern-ireland/20535903

Tyrone boss Harte rings changes for 2013 squad

Tyrone boss Mickey Harte has heralded a new era for the county, confirming a major overhaul of his squad and the departure of 11 established players.

Fourteen new faces are in the 2013 squad while John Devine, Damien McCaul, Brian McGuigan, Owen Mulligan, Davy Harte and Sean O'Neill are left out. Stephen McNally, Niall McKenna, Aidan Cassidy, Peter Hughes and Ciaran Gervin are also omitted. Only five members of the 2003 All-Ireland title-winning squad remain. The are Stephen O'Neill, Conor Gormley, Sean Cavanagh, Pascal McConnell and Dermot Carlin. Mulligan's future remains unclear, with the attacker involved in Sunday's Ulster Club IFC final with his club Cookstown. Cathal McCarron, who had reportedly also been let go by the treble All-Ireland winning manager, remains a member of the 39-man squad. Niall Morgan of Edendork would appear to be a ready-made replacement for goalkeeper Devine, bringing a Stephen Cluxton-style asset with his ability to kick points from long range free kicks. The leading scorer in Tyrone's Division One, Conor McAliskey of Clonoe, is another recruit, as is Coalisland midfielder Plunkett Kane. Harte may take another look at both players in Saturday's league final. Ardboe's McGuigan clan will continue to be represented, with Brian's younger brother Shea given his opportunity to step up to the inter-county scene. Harte revealed last week that he had his eye on a number of players from his own club Errigal Ciaran, and he has included three - Ciaran McGinley, Tommy Canavan and Stefan Tierney. Omagh pair Conan Grugan and Barry Tierney have also received call-ups, as have Danny McBride of Strabane, Kevin Gallagher (Newtownstewart), Dean McNally (Kildress), Sean Warnock (Greencastle) and Tiernan McCann (Killyclogher).

Tyrone squad: Pascal McConnell (Newtonstewart), Aidan McCrory (Errigal Ciaran), Conor Clarke (Omagh), Cathal McCarron (Dromore), Mickey Murphy (Galbally), Mark Donnelly (Carrickmore), Colm Cavanagh (Moy), Conor Gormley (Carrickmore), PJ Quinn (Moortown), Mattie Donnelly (Trillick), Joe McMahon (Omagh), Peter Harte (Errigal Ciaran), Johnny Lafferty (Urney), Paddy McNeice (Coalisland), Ronan McNabb (Dromore), Dermot Carlin (Killyclogher), Martin Penrose (Carrickmore), Stephen O'Neill (Clann na nGael), Darren McCurry (Edendork), Ronan McNamee (Aghyaran), Ronan O'Neill (Omagh), Justin McMahon (Omagh), Kyle Coney (Ardboe), Sean Cavanagh (Moy), Stephen McNulty (Clonoe), Conan Grugan (Omagh), Barry Tierney (Omagh), Plunkett Kane (Coalisland), Ciaran McGinley (Errigal Ciaran), Danny McBride (Strabane), Kevin Gallagher (Newtownstewart), Conor McAliskey (Clonoe), Dean McNally (Kildress), Niall Morgan (Edendork), Stefan Tierney (Errigal Ciaran), Tommy Canavan (Errigal Ciaran), Shea McGuigan (Ardboe), Sean Warnock (Greencastle), Tiernan McCann (Killyclogher)

I thought Harte said last year when he named the squad for the McKenna that there was no such thing as a McKenna squad, just the 2012 squad. He did rest a few boys last time, but he only named 26 for 2012. The fact he's named a squad of 39 or so here, including injured lads indicates that this is it for 2013.

Looks like apart from McCarron, GL were on the money.

From what I hear those boys that haven't been named have had the door closed behind them, including Mugsy.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken