Sh*t just got real in Tyrone

Started by Don Johnson, November 27, 2012, 07:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Boone

I look forward to Stephen O'Neill in 2012. I won't tire of the point-taking.

orangeman

Quote from: Aaron Boone on November 28, 2012, 11:30:55 PM
I look forward to Stephen O'Neill in 2012. I won't tire of the point-taking.

Not much time left in this year for point taking.

2013 Tyrone will hardly get as handy a league programme as last year's woeful standard. Long term last year's breeze through the NFL didn't stand to them at all.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Certainly is going to be a very different Tyrone team. I think most the of the changes are understandable. Mugsy has been trying to get back to his best since 2008 when he was very much on the fringe of the AI winning team due to being out of form and shape. He has had some fine games since without ever having a really good sustained run of form. Great servant and superb player but probably a good time to call it a day. Davy Harte is another fine servant and a player who made the most of his talents but he hasn't been at his best for a while. McCaul and Cassidy as previously mentioned were two players who had terrible luck with injuries. Neither was able to really fulfill their potential for that reason. Brian McGuigan IMO would still be a great option from the bench but he has given enough to Tyrone down the years. Probably regrets coming back this summer.

The two that surprise me a little are McKenna, who I thought might kick on this year and claim a place, and Sean O'Neil, who has done a decent job when he played in recent years. In the case of McKenna in particular he is young enough to get back in. I am a little surprised Carlin kept his place in this cull given he has been around for a decade without ever nailing down his place but Mickey clearly feels he has something to offer.

An interesting few months ahead.

PAULD123

I notice Harry Og Conlon isn't on the squad list. I would have thought this is the year he would be included to get some experience being around the squad. Or has he not developed in the last year?

nrico2006

Quote from: PAULD123 on November 29, 2012, 09:30:07 AM
I notice Harry Og Conlon isn't on the squad list. I would have thought this is the year he would be included to get some experience being around the squad. Or has he not developed in the last year?

There are better midfielders in Tyrone at the minute.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Onthe40

Did Stephen McNulty not leave the squad last year of his own accord, due to lack of opportunities, surprised hes back, especially at his age and having sat on a bench for 2 years already?

Boghopper

A good year in 2013 will be to retain Div 1 status and hopefully still be in the championship at the q/f stage. A lot of the new call ups are good solid club players and no doubt deserve a run out in the McKenna Cup, I do also believe though that there are players in club football as good if not better than some of the lads called up. I also believe that it would be impossible to tell if a lad has what it takes from being involved for only two months with the county set-up. I also know that Mickey has a very difficult job in getting some lads to join the panel as they are reluctant to be bench warmers, to miss matches for their club and to commit to the training regime.

NaomhBridAbú

"damned if he does and damned if he doesn't" springs to mind when i look at the transformation Mickey Harte has made to the Tyrone Panel. He was given some rare abuse for not bringing some of those players on earlier than now, and now that 12 players have been replaced he could easily suffer some persecution for what could be seen, in Tyrone terms anyway, as wholesale change.

Personally, I think the squad looks pretty strong - based on what we know about some players, and the reputation of others.

Sean Cavanagh looked in the shape of his career when he played against Donegal earlier this month - another injury similar to the last 2, could possibly see a premature end to his career, so i would imagine he will be wanting to put in the performance of his career this year. And i think he would still have that in him.

I was chatting to Stephen O'Neill a few weeks ago, and he is all too aware of the pressure coming from the younger players, which he sees as motivation to drive on again this year - and i for one would be glad to see him back to his best.

Mulligan may well have his appetite renewed with all the Club football he is getting - I think there is another year in him, and i wouldnt be surprised to see him back for another year.

There is definitely some brilliant talent coming through across most positions, all the way from Morgan as keeper.

It's hard to know if we have an embarrassment of riches or not - we will certainly be tested in the NFL by Donegal, Kerry, Dublin and the rest.  But i'd rather be in this position than that of some of the other counties. I really cant wait for the season to start - looking forward to the mckenna cup, more than the mckennas are.

progress would be a good finish in Division 1, which i think we are capable of. A good run in the Ulster - and that would include beating Donegal - which i think we are capable of. Then after that? Playing late into August, would be fine with me
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

The Trap

Poor squad, no chance against Donegal and wont go far in back door! Out in July 8)

rrhf

Must admit ... in a clear out there are 2,or 3 names that are over the hill still there, and some of the younger players being replaced by less experienced and not as good versions of themselves. Will be tough year for tyrone.

INDIANA

Quote from: rrhf on November 30, 2012, 07:00:10 AM
Must admit ... in a clear out there are 2,or 3 names that are over the hill still there, and some of the younger players being replaced by less experienced and not as good versions of themselves. Will be tough year for tyrone.

You have to keep some level of experience in the squad. And being surrounded by younger players may revitalise a couple of the older lads. A bigger problem is your second last line. Can these guys be anything like the players they are replacing. To date they've been a long way off it. Likes of SON have nothing to prove to anyone

Redhand Santa

Quote from: rrhf on November 30, 2012, 07:00:10 AM

I thought you'd be happy to see the introduction of fresh talent. Surprised to see Cassidy and Sean O'Neill go. Not so surprised with a lot of the other players that have gone.

rrhf

The loss of an undoubted prospect like mc Kenna a lad with his skill set  who eats sleeps and breathes Tyrone football and has followed every instruction given over the last 4 years to help him develop could say more about our development policies within Tyrone football as they do about the discarded lads.

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: rrhf on December 01, 2012, 02:39:32 AM
The loss of an undoubted prospect like mc Kenna a lad with his skill set  who eats sleeps and breathes Tyrone football and has followed every instruction given over the last 4 years to help him develop could say more about our development policies within Tyrone football as they do about the discarded lads.

I too am disappointed that Niall has been discarded - I am hoping that he will still have an opportunity to rejoin the panel, if he works his through the next few months. I am pretty sure that there is a reason for his exclusion - most o the decisions made by the management team tend to be vindicated over time.

I knwo you have mentioned skill set and passion for tyrone, though Im not sure how much that counts for, if the player isnt putting the effort in, in training? Maybe thats the problem?

Id love to see him back in there, but for now, its up to Niall to prove that he is worth a place with both his college and club. I hope he does
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

ONeill

Quote from: rrhf on December 01, 2012, 02:39:32 AM

I've never seen anything from McKenna to suggest he was worth his place. Have you?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.