Sh*t just got real in Tyrone

Started by Don Johnson, November 27, 2012, 07:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on December 01, 2012, 11:57:25 PM
I've never seen anything from McKenna to suggest he was worth his place. Have you?

I hope it's a hiatus -- do you not remember his Minor All-Ireland exploits?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

trileacman

Quote from: rrhf on December 01, 2012, 02:39:32 AM
The loss of an undoubted prospect like mc Kenna a lad with his skill set  who eats sleeps and breathes Tyrone football and has followed every instruction given over the last 4 years to help him develop could say more about our development policies within Tyrone football as they do about the discarded lads.

I've never seen anything from McKenna to suggest he was worth his place. Have you?

Not at senior but he was a revelation at minor and schools. Where does it all go wrong? Hundreds of young lads fall into this category. Colm is another example, What was that about him tearing Ardboe apart from FF? Took years for him to become a IC player. I have a feeling Ronan O'Neill is going to go the same way, a talented footballer but is suddenly expected to make it after people see a year of him at minor level.

It's time the wider GAA fanbase stop placing such emphasis on minor and schools level as indications of future success. For every Joe Canning there are twenty lads who don't live up to the expectations people have of them. I think we need to focus on college and U-21 level as the real acid test for being worth a county squad place. That is certainly how Cork, Dublin and Donegal measure the merits of upcoming players.

I know you will say that no-one stands out for the U-21's but the ones who do should be focused on. Niall was promoted to the senior ranks prematurely, at a time of that didn't suit his development as a player. Now he has to labour under the unfair assessment of "underachiever" and "couldn't cut it". Probably down the line if he does show potential as a IC footballer the same boyo's who labelled him a future superstar will tell you "he couldn't make it the last time" and he "doesn't have the stuff". We should give these young lads a chance after minor, I don't believe in this action of throwing them straight into senior squads.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on December 02, 2012, 12:21:34 AM

I hope it's a hiatus -- do you not remember his Minor All-Ireland exploits?

As I've said I don't think Minor should be emphasized as heavily as it is around here. Alot of those lads haven't exploded onto the scene the way people thought they would and it runs across the board for all counties and in both codes.

EC Unique

The loss of an undoubted prospect like mc Kenna a lad with his skill set  who eats sleeps and breathes Tyrone football and has followed every instruction given over the last 4 years to help him develop could say more about our development policies within Tyrone football as they do about the discarded lads.

He played on the same minor side as Peter Harte. Both players stood out at that level but Peter has pushed on where as McKenna has not taken the chance yet. I have seen him a few times for Tyrone seniors but he did not really impress. He will get another chance at some stage but needs to step it up to another level. I think he still has not developed physically enough for the area of the pitch in which he aims to play.

TY14ED

Quote from: EC Unique on December 02, 2012, 03:17:34 PM

He played on the same minor side as Peter Harte. Both players stood out at that level but Peter has pushed on where as McKenna has not taken the chance yet. I have seen him a few times for Tyrone seniors but he did not really impress. He will get another chance at some stage but needs to step it up to another level. I think he still has not developed physically enough for the area of the pitch in which he aims to play.
Don't often disagree with O'Neill but I think we have seen in club & uni games what Niall is capable of doing. rrhf..development policies...that's just rubbish. A quick word with any of the Tyrone squad from the last few years & you can quickly determine that Nialls only issue his is attitude. Unfortunately it's not the attitude of someone that wants to be Tyrones next midfielder. It's not that he has a bad attitude or is disruptive, it's just that he doesn't want it enough. Fact.

trileacman

Quote from: TY14ED on December 02, 2012, 05:24:03 PM

Don't often disagree with O'Neill but I think we have seen in club & uni games what Niall is capable of doing. rrhf..development policies...that's just rubbish. A quick word with any of the Tyrone squad from the last few years & you can quickly determine that Nialls only issue his is attitude. Unfortunately it's not the attitude of someone that wants to be Tyrones next midfielder. It's not that he has a bad attitude or is disruptive, it's just that he doesn't want it enough. Fact.

It's easy to sit behind a pseudonym and deride an amateurs players attitude on a national forum from second hand info. Fact.

TY14ED

Quote from: trileacman on December 02, 2012, 07:40:28 PM

It's easy to sit behind a pseudonym and deride an amateurs players attitude on a national forum from second hand info. Fact.

Strange that you bite when a poster questions his attitude but not when other posters question his ability. The second hand info you refer to came first hand from a number of members of previous Tyrone squads. But anyway, for the record, i think said player is a fine talent, a great lad & will hopefully push on to wear 8 or 9 regularly for Tyrone.

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: TY14ED on December 02, 2012, 08:03:29 PM
Quote from: trileacman on December 02, 2012, 07:40:28 PM

Strange that you bite when a poster questions his attitude but not when other posters question his ability. The second hand info you refer to came first hand from a number of members of previous Tyrone squads. But anyway, for the record, i think said player is a fine talent, a great lad & will hopefully push on to wear 8 or 9 regularly for Tyrone.

I dont see the question being around the attitude of the amateur...i think everyone wants NMC to be successful, andfrom most performances at the minor and schools levels, he showed great potential. his potential hasnt been realised in the last few years, and many would suggest that its not a lack of ability rather effort. I hope he proves me wrong - seems like a great lad, and possibly burdened by his fathers reputation - but when he plays well, he is a joy to watch
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

rrhf

No... opinion. 
I hugely doubt yoiur point but am not close enough as I hope you are when you are coming out with it.  What I have seen is the best young lads being held out of the majority of club football for the last few years and some are apparently not achieving their potential and my arguement is that it is because of that reason.  Lads need football to develop not squad training / in house matches. The Tyrone senior intercounty squad should not be a development squad but a place for the finished article and those who are very close to being there.   

under the bar

I'd agree that Niall Mckenna has had some difficulty with the step up from underage to senior and midfield is not an easy place to stake your claim when doing so.  I've no doubt that his talent will see him back again.

What is the story with Cassidy tho?  I thought he was maturing into the real deal. 

Redhand Santa

Quote from: rrhf on December 03, 2012, 02:40:37 PM

No... opinion. 
I hugely doubt yoiur point but am not close enough as I hope you are when you are coming out with it.  What I have seen is the best young lads being held out of the majority of club football for the last few years and some are apparently not achieving their potential and my arguement is that it is because of that reason.  Lads need football to develop not squad training / in house matches. The Tyrone senior intercounty squad should not be a development squad but a place for the finished article and those who are very close to being there.   

Based on this logic surely surely your glad he's not on the panel for the incoming year? Mickey Harte has a tough job in Tyrone cause he will be given abuse no matter what he does. He has delivered an All Ireland minor title, 2 All Ireland u21 titles, 3 senior All Irelands, multiple ulsters at every level and an Ulster club title. I think its fair to say he has the ability to bring players through.

This was evident from 2003. And despite people saying he was too loyal by 2008 he had a very different team and some players who took a few years to develop were now ready and given their chance (Penrose, Tommy McGuigan, McCullagh etc). Last year Peter Harte, Mattie Donnelly, Ronan McNabb and Conor Clarke have shown that Harte will play young players if they prove to be good enough for the first team. Mark Donnelly and Colm Cavanagh have also proved that it can take a few years developing in the panel before your ready to start. I hate when people argue to play young players just for the sake of it, that won't help anyone. They should be made earn their place like everyone else. I'd rather see the best 15 on the field for every championship game no matter about age.

McKenna was a very good minor and I personally thought he was destined for big things. But he has yet to fully deliver on his potential. Unlike some other players in the panel he has been given plenty of opportunities in the last few years. I just don't think he has done enough in games to justify his selection (certainly on the starting team). What he does he does well but I just don't think he has done enough in games. Harte has obviously did his best to bring him through but like many other underage stars throughout the country he has yet to make it. Sport isn't an exact science and different players will react differently to the step up. Hopefully it will work out for the best for McKenna to go back to his club and hopefully over the next few years he will continue to improve and come back a better player.

rrhf

agree with a lot of that but your very valid point is negated by the crap you talk at the start. 

Redhand Santa

I'm talking crap by pointing to Mickey Harte's track record both in terms of delivering success and bringing players through and giving examples of both?

rrhf

you use the term abuse..not relevant. 

Redhand Santa

That wasn't a reference to what you said rather a general comment about what he puts up with from a section of Tyrone supporters. Could easily substitute the word for criticism and my points still stand in my opinion.