Your favourite sports journalists

Started by seafoid, March 07, 2016, 02:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Stallion

Walsh can write well, but I find his refusal to criticise Team Sky with the same vigour he applies to Lance Armstrong a bit troubling.

deiseach

I couldn't take Hugh McIlvanney seriously after his truly terrible documentary on Shankly, Stein and Busby. The premise was that there was something noteworthy about how these giants of the game were born within a few miles of each other. The reality was Hugh being driven around Scotland staring out the window at street lamps interspersed with interviews with his brother, whose standing as a poet obviously made him uniquely qualified to comment on the subject. The magazine 90 Minutes gave it both barrels in their cartoon the following week, with Hugh asking his aunt why they were so great - "ach Hugh, I told ya before, I canna stand fitba!"

longballin

It was a brilliant documentary three men from same area achieve what they did in management is a great story. Three great characters too

gallsman

Kevin McCarrra was a great soccer writer for the Guardian. Sid Lowe and Tim Vickery are great too.

Love Paddy Agnew and Dave Hannigan's columns from Italy and America. George Kimball's American sports columns, particular on his specialty of boxing, were outstanding.

mikehunt

Quote from: The Stallion on March 08, 2016, 02:47:39 PM
Walsh can write well, but I find his refusal to criticise Team Sky with the same vigour he applies to Lance Armstrong a bit troubling.

You think he's turning a blind eye to the truth?

yellowcard

Ireland is blessed in terms of it's sports journalists and for a small country I believe we have some of the best journalists. I enjoy reading Kimmage, Eamon Sweeney, Brolly (love or hate him he is an excellent journalist) whilst Heaney was excellent as well. Walsh has lost a lot of credibility since he believed he was the person with sole responsibility for outing Armstrong. He seemed to believe that he had saved the world from doping and then got into bed with Sky and has never had the same credibility in my eyes since. Roy Curtis is the worst. 

mikehunt

Quote from: yellowcard on March 08, 2016, 03:39:03 PM
Ireland is blessed in terms of it's sports journalists and for a small country I believe we have some of the best journalists. I enjoy reading Kimmage, Eamon Sweeney, Brolly (love or hate him he is an excellent journalist) whilst Heaney was excellent as well. Walsh has lost a lot of credibility since he believed he was the person with sole responsibility for outing Armstrong. He seemed to believe that he had saved the world from doping and then got into bed with Sky and has never had the same credibility in my eyes since. Roy Curtis is the worst.

Curtis is a literary collossus.

seafoid

Brian O Connor in the IT is also top notch
I think Brehony would have been super in the 1940s.

muppet

Quote from: longballin on March 08, 2016, 11:55:30 AM
Dare I say it... Tom Humphries was excellent though events that ended it were dreadful.

He was the best.

I no longer have a favourite after what happened there.
MWWSI 2017

gallsman

I liked Humphries writing but I thought he could be a pain in the arse at times. Had a tendency to be a bit of a windbag every now and again.

muppet

Quote from: gallsman on March 08, 2016, 06:47:06 PM
I liked Humphries writing but I thought he could be a pain in the arse at times. Had a tendency to be a bit of a windbag every now and again.

Don't we all.  :D
MWWSI 2017

dec

Quote from: longballin on March 08, 2016, 03:03:44 PM
It was a brilliant documentary three men from same area achieve what they did in management is a great story. Three great characters too

Links to the documentary on YouTube

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2011/12/hugh-mcilvanneys-arena-classic-busby-shankly-and-stein-the-football-men/

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: gallsman on March 08, 2016, 03:27:16 PM
Kevin McCarrra was a great soccer writer for the Guardian. Sid Lowe and Tim Vickery are great too.

Love Paddy Agnew and Dave Hannigan's columns from Italy and America. George Kimball's American sports columns, particular on his specialty of boxing, were outstanding.
Would definitely after with Tim Vickery. bbc world football phone in with him on five live a must listen for me

bennydorano

Forgot about David Walsh, he's ok but a bit of a smug git imo, William Fotheringham would be my fav cycling journo (think he's on Kimmage's hitlist too tho). I dont buy the going over to the dark side in relation to Walsh & Sky, I dont think a man that put so much on the line previously would risk his legacy. I dunno what it is about Sky but christ they push some peoples buttons.

theticklemister

He need a fecking thesaurus to understand Curtis.