Your favourite sports journalists

Started by seafoid, March 07, 2016, 02:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Stallion

Quote from: bennydorano on March 08, 2016, 07:26:21 PM
Forgot about David Walsh, he's ok but a bit of a smug git imo, William Fotheringham would be my fav cycling journo (think he's on Kimmage's hitlist too tho). I dont buy the going over to the dark side in relation to Walsh & Sky, I dont think a man that put so much on the line previously would risk his legacy. I dunno what it is about Sky but christ they push some peoples buttons.

I think it's probably the marginal gains nonsense which they espouse as the secret of their success, while at the same time they claim to be strongly anti doping despite several links to people who have been involved in doping.

They seem to say one thing while doing quite another.

seafoid

Quote from: gallsman on March 08, 2016, 06:47:06 PM
I liked Humphries writing but I thought he could be a pain in the arse at times. Had a tendency to be a bit of a windbag every now and again.
his early stuff was brilliant. he lost focus later on which was probably related to what happened

StephenC

Keith Duggan
Kieran Cunningham
Adrian Wojnakowski

Clov

Quote from: seafoid on March 08, 2016, 08:51:27 PM
I liked Humphries writing but I thought he could be a pain in the arse at times. Had a tendency to be a bit of a windbag every now and again.
his early stuff was brilliant. he lost focus later on which was probably related to what happened

I would agree. But i wonder if it was his style that starter to wear rather than the material not being as good.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

seafoid

Quote from: Clov on March 08, 2016, 11:53:00 PM

I would agree. But i wonder if it was his style that starter to wear rather than the material not being as good.
He put less into it, I think.

Hound

I don't really agree with that. He always had the odd article that was pure self indulgent nonsense, but generally he was brilliant I thought. Never before or since have I looked forward to reading a journalist's article as much.

The Roy Keane interview about Saipan was one of the best things I ever read. Always thought that if McCarthy had read the whole interview, rather than being drip fed pieces of it (by other Irish journalists who were immensely jealous that Humphries got the Keane exclusive), then the whole Saipan thing would not have blown up. But once both men had their back up, then the rest was history.

As a huge supporter of GAA, not alone has he not been able to write about the All Ireland successes of Dublin and St Vincents footballers, and the NHL and Leinster successes of the Dublin hurlers (which he probably would have enjoyed even more), but because of the pariah he became, he wasn't even able to go to Croke Park to see those matches. Which I would say felt like  a big punishment for him (which of course it would seem he deserved, and a lot more besides) 

Declan

QuoteHe always had the odd article that was pure self indulgent nonsense, but generally he was brilliant I thought. Never before or since have I looked forward to reading a journalist's article as much.

The Roy Keane interview about Saipan was one of the best things I ever read. Always thought that if McCarthy had read the whole interview, rather than being drip fed pieces of it (by other Irish journalists who were immensely jealous that Humphries got the Keane exclusive), then the whole Saipan thing would not have blown up. But once both men had their back up, then the rest was history.

As a huge supporter of GAA, not alone has he not been able to write about the All Ireland successes of Dublin and St Vincents footballers, and the NHL and Leinster successes of the Dublin hurlers (which he probably would have enjoyed even more), but because of the pariah he became, he wasn't even able to go to Croke Park to see those matches. Which I would say felt like  a big punishment for him (which of course it would seem he deserved, and a lot more besides) 

+1

seafoid

Kevin Cashman was brilliant back in the 1980s

Declan

A prominent Irish journalist has pleaded guilty to six sex offences in relation to a child.

The man pleaded guilty to the charges when he was arraigned at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court today.

Two of the charges related to the accused engaging in a sexual act with a girl under the age of 17 on dates in December 2010 and February 2011 at an address in Dublin.

The other four charges were of sexually exploiting the same child by inviting her to engage or participate in a sexually explicit, indecent or obscene act on dates in January 2010, and February and March 2011.

The journalist cannot be identified at present for legal reasons.

He only spoke in court today to say "guilty" after each charge was put to him.

The journalist will be sentenced at a later date.

Prosecution counsel Shane Costello SC entered a nolle prosequi in relation to three other charges.

A number of other charges on the indictment are to be taken into account when the man is being sentenced.

He was remanded on continuing bail.

JimStynes

I love Paul Kimmage's Q&A interviews. The one he did with floyd landis years ago was outstanding. His recent one with Rory McIlroy was very good as well.

mouview

Quote from: JimStynes on March 07, 2017, 12:52:34 PM
I love Paul Kimmage's Q&A interviews. The one he did with floyd landis years ago was outstanding. His recent one with Rory McIlroy was very good as well.

For some reason I dislike them; staccato and infuriating maybe.

north_antrim_hound

Denis Walsh ( Sunday times )
Enda Mc Avoy ( Irish examiner )
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Tony Baloney

Quote from: mouview on March 07, 2017, 12:58:14 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on March 07, 2017, 12:52:34 PM

For some reason I dislike them; staccato and infuriating maybe.
Manageable in the newspaper interview but I found his book Engage really, really difficult to get into in that format. Got there eventually though.

Taylor

Paul Kimmage would be my favourite.

Used to think Ewan was good but find a lot of what he says/does lately is just for attention seeking rather than proper journalism and objective points.
Wouldnt read anything by him subsequently