Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Club boi

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 14, 2014, 07:58:46 PM
Quote from: hugh the root on July 14, 2014, 05:01:07 PM
Tyrone need to become more aggressive and I don't think that is instilled on at least half the current panel. They need a bit of Clonoe DNA and I am not stirring the shit here. Damien Cassidy has done wonders for Clonoe whilst Tyrone are going backwards all the time  . Time for new faces on the hill at Ballygawley!

Cassidy wasn't great at inter county level with Derry. It's not as easy as it looks you know, Hugh.

BennyHarp - Cassidy took over from Clonoe in 2008 (they had just been promoted from 1B) so many wouldn't have called them "A good team"
2008 Won Championship
2009 Same players (Minus Cassidy) lost 1st round v Trillick
2010 Same players (Minus Cassidy) lost 1st round v Coalisland
2011 Returns, beat in Championship Final v Dromore
2012 Beat by Omagh but Wins 1st EVER league title with Clonoe
2013 Won Championship

Some would say that's not a bad return

BennyHarp

Quote from: Club boi on July 15, 2014, 06:09:28 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 14, 2014, 07:58:46 PM
Quote from: hugh the root on July 14, 2014, 05:01:07 PM
Tyrone need to become more aggressive and I don't think that is instilled on at least half the current panel. They need a bit of Clonoe DNA and I am not stirring the shit here. Damien Cassidy has done wonders for Clonoe whilst Tyrone are going backwards all the time  . Time for new faces on the hill at Ballygawley!

Cassidy wasn't great at inter county level with Derry. It's not as easy as it looks you know, Hugh.

BennyHarp - Cassidy took over from Clonoe in 2008 (they had just been promoted from 1B) so many wouldn't have called them "A good team"
2008 Won Championship
2009 Same players (Minus Cassidy) lost 1st round v Trillick
2010 Same players (Minus Cassidy) lost 1st round v Coalisland
2011 Returns, beat in Championship Final v Dromore
2012 Beat by Omagh but Wins 1st EVER league title with Clonoe
2013 Won Championship

Some would say that's not a bad return

I acknowledged that his record with Clonoe was excellent. I'm talking about the difference between club and county management. All I said was that his record with Derry was poor, I genuinely didn't think that was a particularly controversial statement given his results
That was never a square ball!!

North Man

Intresting views on Garvaghy
I got a tour and the first impression is that the building is not very practical and too grand.
I don't see  the value in a 200 seater lecture theatre, nor I don't see where real income can be generated from the facility.
I would be of the opinion that it will be a continuous drain on the counties resources and will not be self financing.
On the other side you will get plenty of fresh air.

sam03/05

some interesting views on teamtalkmag tonight

- development squads - its seems to be the done thing to blame all of Tyrone's woes on development squads. The fact is that they serve a good purpose, they bring players through to minor Football (we have an excellent record at that level)
if anything we need such a squad at u19/20 level to address the problems at u21 level. its the model that other successful counties are using at the minute. (Donegal at U15/16 level / Cavan at U20 level)

- Senior Team management - There is no stand out successor to take over. However there are clear issues in our Senior Team management. Damien Cassidy mentioned some of these and said that things are not all what they appear to be. Mickey Harte must change his backroom team, is there any coaching going on at senior level?

Garvaghy - Again it appears to be the done thing to blame all Tyrone's woes on Garvaghy, that is just nonsense, it is a brilliant facility to have and is of great benefit to the county. However the most important thing is the quality of coaching going on at Garvaghy. That is the single most important thing which must be looked at.

Senior Players - Attitudes need to change amongst our Senior Players, a lot of people are putting good money (club Tyrone/ supporters/ season tickets etc) into them. If they dont want to die for the jersey, they should be told to go and just play Club Football. Was interesting to see some pictures of them on social media, all out on sunday night. (I remember the same thing happening at u21 level when beat by Cavan a few years ago - all out on rip in Belfast). After that performance on sunday they should have been ashamed to even go out through the door. Its one thing getting beat and going down with a fight, but to be bullied, out fought and out thought, was disgraceful. Some of them need to spend the next 10 months getting proper conditioning in the gym.

just a few thoughts...

hugh the root

Damien Cassidy was outstanding on Teamtalk tonight.Tyrone should listen to what he had to say tonight and try to put it into practice!

Norf Tyrone

Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

skeog

good to see a derryman so concerned about the state of tyrone football you couldnt make it up

roney

agree. who is this derry man to be talking about Mickey Harte and telling him what he needs to be doing? The man has won nothing bar a couple of club championships and then failed miserably in Ulster. His record at intercounty level in derry and cavan is terrible. You're right you couldn't make it up!

questions have to be asked about teamtalk and exactly what they are trying to do. Bringing on a load of men to slag off tyrone football at all levels especially young minor players. What's the agenda with the guests they had on?

It wasn't a good year. There have been others and there will be more. Get over it and move on.

God14

If & when Mickey does retire, would Damian Cassidy make the shortlist to replace him? Id imagine he is sure to be nominated by a club somewhere.

The two obvious candidates would be Malachy O'Rourke (a Fermanagh man, but with strong links to Errigal) and PTG.
I cant see another serious contender? Some impressive CVs were tarnished by unsuccessful U21 stints (Munroe, Liam Donnelly et al)

Bearing in mind Peter's CV at managerial level isn't that impressive & O'Rourke may not walk away from what he's started in Monaghan - it could be a bit of a conundrum

Without question Cassidy has made the biggest impression at Club level in the county in the past 10 years (Louchmacrory U21s 2003 as well as the achievements Club Boi listed out)
For what its worth I don't think it would be possible for a Derryman to manage Tyrone (see Skeog, Roney posts previous for a taster), but id be curious to see what others think?

God14

Quote from: the_daddy on July 16, 2014, 10:58:29 AM
Quote from: God14 on July 16, 2014, 10:42:51 AM
If & when Mickey does retire, would Damian Cassidy make the shortlist to replace him? Id imagine he is sure to be nominated by a club somewhere.

The two obvious candidates would be Malachy O'Rourke (a Fermanagh man, but with strong links to Errigal) and PTG.
I cant see another serious contender? Some impressive CVs were tarnished by unsuccessful U21 stints (Munroe, Liam Donnelly et al)

Bearing in mind Peter's CV at managerial level isn't that impressive & O'Rourke may not walk away from what he's started in Monaghan - it could be a bit of a conundrum

Without question Cassidy has made the biggest impression at Club level in the county in the past 10 years (Louchmacrory U21s 2003 as well as the achievements Club Boi listed out)
For what its worth I don't think it would be possible for a Derryman to manage Tyrone (see Skeog, Roney posts previous for a taster), but id be curious to see what others think?

That line has already been crossed with Peter Doherty and the Under 21s.

You think? Big difference in been appointed Senior or U21
Also Peter Doherty had very strong omagh connections, the exact details of which im not sure...

hugh the root

Roney I take it you were not at the teamtalk show in clonoe and if you listened you listened very badly!There are two kinds of criticism ;constructive criticism and destructive criticism.The destructive one serves no purpose but the constructive type is actually a help. Noel McGinn Damien Cassidy and Sean Mc Cabe had nothing in their minds but to think of constructive ideas for the way forward and to prevent any further decline in our county teams standing. If you are jumping at these guys for this then you are one sad individual with no notion of how to reinvent things.I thought the show was excellent and I sincerely hope that Micky Harte applies some of the panels findings in forthcoming season. After all the county board are going to be asking clubs later this year to explain why things are not going right for the county team. Last night covered some of them points. If only our county team had some of the courage and wisdom of Noel MCGINN  Damien Cassidy John Lynch or big Sean then we would be in a better place.The one where Geezer had Andy Mallon fully focused on Mc Currys dummy was plain to be seen by U 12 spectators at the game.we are not cute enough in Tyrone anymore!

roney

Quote from: hugh the root on July 16, 2014, 11:02:22 AM
If only our county team had some of the courage and wisdom of Noel MCGINN  Damien Cassidy John Lynch or big Sean then we would be in a better place.

I've heard it all now

hugh the root

East v west you are a sad hoor!

rrhf

I find it uncomfortable watching the speculation about successors to Mickey Harte whether Derrymen, Fermanaghmen or whatever when Harte is still in the job and is seeing out his contract for 1 more year.  I think we need to have a little respect here lads. 

redhandloo

Quote from: rrhf on July 16, 2014, 12:46:38 PM
I find it uncomfortable watching the speculation about successors to Mickey Harte whether Derrymen, Fermanaghmen or whatever when Harte is still in the job and is seeing out his contract for 1 more year.  I think we need to have a little respect here lads.
Well said. Complete disrespect. A couple of other factors
Why would O'Rourke leave the Ulster champions to come to us?
I can't see Tyrone CB financing an outside manager considering the current financial plight that it's in.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!