Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigtogs

I see the Irish News got a full back page from the Teamtalkmag programme on Tuesday night...

WT4E

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on July 17, 2014, 12:00:51 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on July 16, 2014, 11:09:43 PMIt is a bit too far south but I think about 4-5 miles north in or around Carrickmore would be as central as you could get.
The location for a CoE needed to be determined by accessibility more than just pure geography. In this sense, a spot reasonably close to the Ballygawley roundabout would be a near obvious location as it's next to a number of busy A roads that can be easily accessible from Omagh, Strabane & Dungannon (Cookstown isn't too bad but needs B road navigation) along with a bonus of the Ballygawley roundabout being an important hub to routes from the likes of Belfast, Derry city, Dublin, Monaghan, Sligo via Enniskillen etc. The only other location that could be seriously considered would be one similar as you've described, somewhere between Mountfield and Creggan just off the A505 Omagh-Cookstown road in a rough geographical centre of the county. However that poses problems of accessibility from locations around Dungannon which would be a mostly B road trip (arguably worse than the current Cookstown to Garvaghy route) and not being near a popular junction like Ballygawley is doesn't make it as easy for those travelling there from outside the county (e.g. Belfast). The geographic expanse of Tyrone means that someone somewhere will complain about a location that isn't within easy reach of them. IMO Garvaghy is a good compromise in that respect. The opening of its office facilities there also means that it's now closer to those in the east of Tyrone compared to their old location in John Street, Omagh - at the slight expense of those in north Tyrone where it's now about 10 miles further away.

You make a good point.

Out of interest is anyone keeping track of how many clubs are using it and which ones they are?

Club boi

What was wrong with the Sports Centre just outside Omagh on the Cookstown road?? Was used for years with no complaints (that I can remember or am aware)

Perhaps someone can fill me in

reddgnhand

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on July 17, 2014, 02:55:42 AM
Quote from: Man Marker on July 16, 2014, 09:29:04 PM
Only after listening to the podcast there and didn't hear the contributors mention that Harte should leave the job or pack it in. All on the podcast seemed to back Mickey staying on, but they all felt he needed to completely change his back room team, and used McGuinness as an example where he has a new backer on team and it has had a positive impact on the team.I think McGinn emphasised that the discussions on the show were probably reflective of the thoughts and chats people were having up and the county.

Can I download the podcast to listen to in the car later?

Same. Can anyone let me know where I can download podcast?

Gaffer

Was Lynch misquoted in the Irish News this morning?

Anyone who heard the Teamtalk show on Monday night may be able to comment  on this.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

hugh the root

To build a  centre of excellence in such a remote part of tyrone was misguided and corrupt planning. if this was in the republic there would be a tribunal set up to investigate it

LeoMc

Quote from: hugh the root on July 18, 2014, 10:29:13 AM
To build a  centre of excellence in such a remote part of tyrone was misguided and corrupt planning. if this was in the republic there would be a tribunal set up to investigate it

WUM. ;D

Gaffer

It s alright talking  it should have been built here,,,,,,, it should have been built there ,,,

Common sense would tell you that it had to be built in the centre of Tyrone ,,, it was

AND easily accessible by road  ,,,, it is

Also ......Land had to be available to be bought by the county board. That land at Garvaghey was available to be bought at a price affordable to the county board.

Was there any other land available and affordable in the centre of Tyrone not as high up as Garvaghey? Obviously not as the County Board wpuld have gone for it instead.

ONeill

They should've built her on Lough Neagh
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

blackball

Quote from: Gaffer on July 18, 2014, 02:03:17 PM
It s alright talking  it should have been built here,,,,,,, it should have been built there ,,,

Common sense would tell you that it had to be built in the centre of Tyrone ,,, it was

AND easily accessible by road  ,,,, it is

Also ......Land had to be available to be bought by the county board. That land at Garvaghey was available to be bought at a price affordable to the county board.

Was there any other land available and affordable in the centre of Tyrone not as high up as Garvaghey? Obviously not as the County Board wpuld have gone for it instead.

They probably spent a lot of money on that stupid design that could have went into finding a decent site to build on.

Fuzzman

I have to say I'm surprised at the lack of chat on here all week about Mickey and our tactics and approach this year.

Here is that podcast under the Clonoe title

BennyHarp

Had a visit up to Garvaghy for the first time the other day and I must say I was very impressed. Perhaps a larger gym could be constructed on site at a later date but the priority was the pitches and they are top class. (With a decent play park for the kids too!) The lads behind this need massive credit for having a vision to build when we were in a strong position and winning All Irelands. This is a legacy which, as far as I'm aware is secured on relatively little debt, and is a resource that is beyond anything we could have imagined having a few years ago. As for those complaining about it being windy and cold - maybe that just about sums up a new generation of fan and player. It's a bit of wind ffs!!
That was never a square ball!!

matchfit21

People complaining just have an axe to grind from previous. 
Whos away to the states? 

Gaffer

Quote from: matchfit21 on July 18, 2014, 08:07:17 PM
People complaining just have an axe to grind from previous. 
Whos away to the states?

So far.......

Morgan, mcNamee &  McNeice

Christmas Lights

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 18, 2014, 04:41:26 PM
Had a visit up to Garvaghy for the first time the other day and I must say I was very impressed. Perhaps a larger gym could be constructed on site at a later date but the priority was the pitches and they are top class. (With a decent play park for the kids too!) The lads behind this need massive credit for having a vision to build when we were in a strong position and winning All Irelands. This is a legacy which, as far as I'm aware is secured on relatively little debt, and is a resource that is beyond anything we could have imagined having a few years ago. As for those complaining about it being windy and cold - maybe that just about sums up a new generation of fan and player. It's a bit of wind ffs!!

Come back to me when you have played on it in a mid February night