McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: Reillers on March 11, 2009, 01:44:07 PM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on March 11, 2009, 01:37:41 PM
Quote from: bottlethrower7 on March 11, 2009, 10:28:45 AM
and will this be the end of the strike?

surely not. The issue was with the board, not McCarthy, right?

so the board will appoint a new manager to manage a lot of spotty imposters?

not the 08 panel. Because they stand firm by their convictions. And their problem is Frank Murphy, but he hadn't quit.

So the strike continues

right?

This is what I was thinking as well.  It seems McCarthy was the problem, but because McCarthy had done nothing wrong and players should NEVER be allowed to pick the manager and just so as to justify their actions they had to say Frank Murphy was the problem and McCarthy was just a "pawn".  Well if thats true then surely these players who stand so strongly by their believes that they were risking their careers for the betterment of Cork hurling will now continue on their strike until Murphy is gone.  I somehow doubt very much they will.  Like the majority of people in the country I'm disgusted by the players actions, and their "moving of the goalposts" when it suits them.
Despite Skull trying to say otherwise, my opinion has always stayed the same. FM and the CB have always been the ones behind this. Gerald was the short term problem, just a pawn by the CB, used like he nothing more then that.
The players said that they'd return when McCarthy's gone.
The clubs have the power to get rid of the CB. There's not much more the players can do. Clubs need to handle club business themselves. The players can't do it all for them. The clubs are the only ones who can get rid of FM.
It's down to the clubs now, physically the players can do know more, the power is back in the hands of the clubs, it all depends on what they do.

Have they?  Then why do I hear that Frank Murphy is so powerful?  That he is there way too long and is ruining Cork GAA.  If this is true and its as easy for the same clubs who all back the players against Frank Murphy to get rid of him, why haven't they done it before now?

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on March 11, 2009, 02:01:13 PM
Oh that's right Heffo, I forgot everythings the players fault.

Eez ok players not at fault

Why don't you state specifically what you disagree with out of the four points I made above

You still haven't admitted you & passedit were 100% wrong about club empowerment by the way..

The GAA

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: The GAA on March 11, 2009, 01:59:52 PM
Quote from: Galwaybhoy on March 11, 2009, 01:58:38 PM
Quote from: The GAA on March 11, 2009, 01:41:07 PM
Murphy deliberately installed the one manager that the players had informed him they could not work with to antagonise them.

who would you say the problem was?

Well if Murphy is the problem then surely the players will continue to strike.

I think they should.

what do you think?

I dont think they should have went on strike in the first place.  But going on strike to get rid of the man that is "ruining Cork GAA" is a much better reason than the reason they stated for going on strike in the first place, which was to get rid of Ger McCarthy.  But Reillers has stated that its easy for the clubs to get rid of Murphy and Co, so If he is as hated as people make out and he was the problem all along I dont understand why the same clubs who backed the players hadnt got rid of him ages ago.

orangeman

Picture the scene - in a couple of Sunday's time, the first round of the club league starts, the young corner forward Adian goes to take up his position at the start of the match and he's been told by the manager that Seamas the balding 34 year old dirty ball of a corner back is a hallion and he might use violence against him but not to worry about it.

So up runs the stylish corner forward, all 9 stone of him - put his hand out to shake Seamas' hand ( Seamas, a farmer, is the balding 34 year old corner back who has grown up having been fed a diet of young, stylish, sometimes cocky 9 stone corner forwards ), Seamas grunts and ignores the offer of a handshake. The game begins, Aidan the wee corner forward gets the first three balls that come his way and scores 2 points. Seamas gets a bit of "encouragement" ( not that he needs any prompting ) to get a lot tighter to to Aidan. Seamas gets tighter and informs him that the next time he goes for the ball he will "take the f--king head"off him.

Perturbed by this threat of physical violence, Aidan tells the manager at half time what has been said to him. The manager listens and tries to play down and make light out the threats and asks Aidan exactly what Seamas had said to him. Aidan tells him and the manager tells him not to worry about it as Seamas hadn't used a recognised code word. Aidan seems concerned but the manager reassures him that the threat is not a serious one, not to worry one bit about, tells him just to keep playing the way he has been and convinces him that as he has not used the code word that all will be ok.

The second half starts and Seamas informs Aidan that if he touches the ball in the second half that he will take the f—king head off him. Aidan says back to him that he's not worried at all as he has not used a recognised code word. Aidan wins the next ball that comes in turns an scores a point, on his way out from scoring Seamas duly takes 3 teeth out of Aidan's lovely freshly whitened top row, has to be taken off and replaced.
The manager tells Aidan that he forgot that Seamas was a freelancer and doesn't normally  use a code word, tells him to go to the dentist to get a set of dentures and that he'd see him at training on Tuesday night.

Don't wait for the codeword.

heffo

Quote from: The GAA on March 11, 2009, 02:02:35 PM
Quote from: heffo on March 11, 2009, 01:59:35 PM

not the 08 panel. Because they stand firm by their convictions. And their problem is Frank Murphy, but he hadn't quit.

So the strike continues

right?

This is what I was thinking as well.  It seems McCarthy was the problem, but because McCarthy had done nothing wrong and players should NEVER be allowed to pick the manager and just so as to justify their actions they had to say Frank Murphy was the problem and McCarthy was just a "pawn".  Well if thats true then surely these players who stand so strongly by their believes that they were risking their careers for the betterment of Cork hurling will now continue on their strike until Murphy is gone.  I somehow doubt very much they will.  Like the majority of people in the country I'm disgusted by the players actions, and their "moving of the goalposts" when it suits them.
1. my opinion has always stayed the same.

2.Gerald was the short term problem.

3.The clubs have the power to get rid of the CB. The clubs are the only ones who can get rid of FM.

4.There's not much more the players can do.

1. Your opinion has flip-flopped so much over the course of this issue. In fact on several occassions you've gone from emphatically denying something to admitting it in the same sentence.

2. Gerarld was the short term problem? What next, the county board? After that the clubs? Will they setup their own hurling association not unlike the WWE - they can then charge admission and keep it all themselves - they can split the money the way they have been doing - the higher your media profile the bigger share you get - dare speak up against this and you'll be the one getting paramilitary threats

3. "The clubs have the power to get rid of the CB. The clubs are the only ones who can get rid of FM. " - You spent 300 pages on this topic telling me this was impossible - so I've been right all along have I?

4. "There's not much more the players can do" - Oh they've done more than enough..

Heffo -
By what means or actions could the cork players have addressed the cancer within cork gaa and maintained support from yourself?

As follows:

1. Register their dissapointment with the fact that Ger Mac is the favourite for - suggest a number of alternative names at meeting #1 - not keep schtum until meeting #3
2. Upon Ger Mac's reappointment - the player liasons seek a meeting with Ger Mac who has very publically backed them when they've acted up - outline what their grievances are with his training and make a few practical suggestions as to how they believe it could improve in terms of drills, logistics and diet
3. Refund the money from Powerade which as far as I'm concerned was stolen from the nursery of every club in Cork - or alternatively make a donation to charity for the same amount
4. If Ger Mac is unwilling to change one iota, then either retire or make public your grievances
5. Upon an offer of dialogue from the mgt/CCB attend talks expecting to make and gain concessions
6. If still unwilling to play, walk away - if asked by a clubmate who has been granted the honour of representing his county should he make himself available, emphtaically state that yes he should make himself available and that there probably isn't a hurler in the country who wouldn't walk across hot coals to train under a man who won five AI medals, was universally respected from Wexford to Antrim for his skill & bravery on the pitch
7. Organise a series of meetings with all clubs by breaking the panel of 30 into groups of 3 and outlining their grievances with FM - use the sympathetic journalists to garner momentum

Reillers

Are you going to admit you complelty lied about knowing and texting Bob? Didn't think so.

Ye are all so high and mighty about this. Never mind the fact that ye have insulted everyone and anyone that has come up backing the players.
Journos were nothing but sympathetic biased reporters who were just looking out to write the players biographies.
No integrity at all, no will to do their job at all.
Cork fans, who said it all when there was 3000 of them there, then when it was proved to be more like 5/6000 suddenly nothing more then soccer, seasonal, fans.
Clubs, well first several hundred people were being led along by 3 or 4 then suddenly they were all part of this hidden agenda of GPA friendly clubs and wanting mob rule.
Ye have insulted the players over and over again. Saying that they want to rule everything with no proof or backing. Some of ye have had the nerve to say that all they were interested in was finances and personal gain, with again no backing or proof. Ye scream at me everytime some near insult or question comes near a man who won 5 AI titles, but ye have no problem acting like ye do, acting like they are the scum of the earth to men who have in most cases won 3. No problem at all saying they are worthless, saying that they are disgrace.

And ye honestly think that Gerald stepping down had nothing to do with the clubs voting 100% against him?
Ye all seemed to have forgotten the rest of his statement, ye are too busy again insulting the players who apparently responsible for the threats, and then there's the so called Cork fans, who are not Cork fans, but now we're all under one name.

And don't for a second tell me that if the players had come out and said what Gerald said that ye would have treated them the same and reaccted the way ye did with Gerald. It wouldn't have been oh poor lads, and all that jazz, please some of ye wouldn't have laughed in their faces, saying they deserved it and that they were lying.
Ye have shown how little ye care about Cork GAA over the last few weeks. How all some of ye want to do is whinge and bitch about the players. Ye have shown that ye are not genuine fans by a long shot. So don't act like ye genuinely care now just to have another pop at the players, who apparently according to some of ye are responsible for this.

And while ye're at it, don't forget to take my posts completly out of context and proportion and don't forget to nit pick them either.

Blaming and bitching about the players, and taking my posts completly out of context, blatantly insulting anyone who has backded the players, everytime someone has ever had something good to say about the players, down talking them to make their point seem irrelevant. That's what ye do best. That's all ye do.

So stop acting like ye genuinely care, ye've proven otherwise over the last few weeks.

And I've no doubt that this will again be ignored, I will be personal attacked for it, the post will be nit picked, attacked for the way I've said things, attacked over nothing I've said here.
Anything but reply to what I've said here, and if it is replied to it will be completly out of context as per usual.

m.muzzle

So the strike continues

right?

3.The clubs have the power to get rid of the CB. The clubs are the only ones who can get rid of FM.

1. Your opinion has flip-flopped so much over the course of this issue. In fact on several occassions you've gone from emphatically denying something to admitting it in the same sentence.

2. Gerarld was the short term problem? What next, the county board? After that the clubs? Will they setup their own hurling association not unlike the WWE - they can then charge admission and keep it all themselves - they can split the money the way they have been doing - the higher your media profile the bigger share you get - dare speak up against this and you'll be the one getting paramilitary threats

3. "The clubs have the power to get rid of the CB. The clubs are the only ones who can get rid of FM. " - You spent 300 pages on this topic telling me this was impossible - so I've been right all along have I?

4. "There's not much more the players can do" - Oh they've done more than enough..

Was it not stated some time back that the clubs couldn't get rid of FM? That he was unsackable? That he was appointed from Croke Park and so nobody in Cork could sack him? If that's the case then how can the clubs now have the power to get rid of him? And even moreso, how can they be the only ones with the power to get rid of him?

bingobus

Quote from: Reillers on March 11, 2009, 02:23:53 PM
Are you going to admit you complelty lied about knowing and texting Bob? Didn't think so.

Ye are all so high and mighty about this. Never mind the fact that ye have insulted everyone and anyone that has come up backing the players.
Journos were nothing but sympathetic biased reporters who were just looking out to write the players biographies.
No integrity at all, no will to do their job at all.
Cork fans, who said it all when there was 3000 of them there, then when it was proved to be more like 5/6000 suddenly nothing more then soccer, seasonal, fans.
Clubs, well first several hundred people were being led along by 3 or 4 then suddenly they were all part of this hidden agenda of GPA friendly clubs and wanting mob rule.
Ye have insulted the players over and over again. Saying that they want to rule everything with no proof or backing. Some of ye have had the nerve to say that all they were interested in was finances and personal gain, with again no backing or proof. Ye scream at me everytime some near insult or question comes near a man who won 5 AI titles, but ye have no problem acting like ye do, acting like they are the scum of the earth to men who have in most cases won 3. No problem at all saying they are worthless, saying that they are disgrace.

And ye honestly think that Gerald stepping down had nothing to do with the clubs voting 100% against him?
Ye all seemed to have forgotten the rest of his statement, ye are too busy again insulting the players who apparently responsible for the threats, and then there's the so called Cork fans, who are not Cork fans, but now we're all under one name.

And don't for a second tell me that if the players had come out and said what Gerald said that ye would have treated them the same and reaccted the way ye did with Gerald. It wouldn't have been oh poor lads, and all that jazz, please some of ye wouldn't have laughed in their faces, saying they deserved it and that they were lying.
Ye have shown how little ye care about Cork GAA over the last few weeks. How all some of ye want to do is whinge and bitch about the players. Ye have shown that ye are not genuine fans by a long shot. So don't act like ye genuinely care now just to have another pop at the players, who apparently according to some of ye are responsible for this.

And while ye're at it, don't forget to take my posts completly out of context and proportion and don't forget to nit pick them either.

Blaming and bitching about the players, and taking my posts completly out of context, blatantly insulting anyone who has backded the players, everytime someone has ever had something good to say about the players, down talking them to make their point seem irrelevant. That's what ye do best. That's all ye do.

So stop acting like ye genuinely care, ye've proven otherwise over the last few weeks.

???

heffo

There is nothing to admit. Do ye not call him Bobby in Bishopstown or is it only the younger fellas that call him 'Sideshow Bob'?

heffo

The Gardai and RTE reported the figure as 3,000 - You reported it as 5/6,000..

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on March 11, 2009, 02:30:50 PM

There is nothing to admit. Do ye not call him Bobby in Bishopstown or is it only the younger fellas that call him 'Sideshow Bob'?

Nothing to admit..no of course not.

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on March 11, 2009, 02:35:49 PM
Quote from: heffo on March 11, 2009, 02:30:50 PM

Nothing to admit..no of course not.

Has he been onto you yet?

Sure you've nothing to worry about - just explain your position..

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: m.muzzle on March 11, 2009, 02:26:07 PM

So the strike continues

right?

Was it not stated some time back that the clubs couldn't get rid of FM? That he was unsackable? That he was appointed from Croke Park and so nobody in Cork could sack him? If that's the case then how can the clubs now have the power to get rid of him? And even moreso, how can they be the only ones with the power to get rid of him?

Ssshhhh don't you know that the facts continuously change so as to suit whatever their argument is at that point in time.  ;D

tyronefan

Quote from: heffo on March 11, 2009, 02:32:25 PM

The Gardai and RTE reported the figure as 3,000 - You reported it as 5/6,000..

From RTE  Sunday 8th March

Cork beat Fermanagh in Allianz NFL Division Two but it was a protest in support of the Rebels' 2008 hurling squad that will steal the headlines.And the Cork hurlers will feel they won a battle today as 2,300 fans, including comedian Des Bishop backed their cause and handed a letter over to Cork chairman Frank Murphy.