McCarthy admits he does not have backing of Cork hurlers

Started by Minder, October 23, 2008, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: dowling on March 11, 2009, 04:28:54 PM
I avoided getting into the debate in relation to Gerald McCarthy's mother's death although at the time I believed it was a terrible thing that only a few players had the decency to pay their respects. Now that we know it was contrived by the panel for panellists not to go iit's a terrible reflection on them and especially the individual who thought it up.

Exactly, after I read that I lost any little bit of respect I had left for the players.  Fair play to the few that went against the decision to not go, what ever I think of them at least they had the decency to turn up.  As for the others, it really shows how low they are that they couldn't put this small dispute to one side for a few hours and go and pay their respects.  I mean, they did play under McCarthy for two years, and only last year had great things to say about Gerald McCarthy.

bingobus

Quote from: Reillers on March 11, 2009, 04:22:35 PM
Quote from: bingobus on March 11, 2009, 04:11:38 PM
Quote from: zoyler on March 11, 2009, 03:54:58 PM
This whole mess is related to the ongoing battle for the soul of the GAA between those who follow the GPA line of every thing having a monetary value and the old concept of service to the community and it is a cancer that is slowly eating away at the GAA

I was speaking to an old friend involved in a junior football club in Ulster last week.  He told me that the cost of running their main team for last year was circa Stg 20,000 for which they were moderately successful!  The manager was £10K (cash of course) the pgysio £6K(I doubt he took a cheque) etc. etc. When I expressed my disbelief he said the players attitude was they would not play unless they were properly prepared and it was either give in to these ridiculus demands or not field.  Of course it was up to the committee to raise the funds not the players!!    What happens this year when there is so less money about for sponsorship or to support draws is going to be interesting to see and as I said previously are the GAA going to provide the €5M when the goverment withdraw the GPA funding - It will be interesting to see will the Cork lads wash their own jerseys!!

Zoyler, that is spot on. We are currently fundraising and asking any business for €100 towards a golf classic is like asking them to cut off their hand.

Standards have been raised to such a level that they are unstainable.

Yet some on here can only this as a dispute by the Cork hurlers to give them a chance to win an All-ireland. The same hurlers who have forced a major company pull out of a lucrative contract for the Cork CB, thrown a rival soft drinks onto the terrace away from the goals, who have some of the highest profiles of any Hurler in the country, who hold key position in the GPA.

Players deserve what they get but the GPA is an elite organisation for the elite players. I know the Monghan Hurlers had problems getting their playing gear from the CB last year and despite attempts to contact the GPA for assistance none was ever received. Eventually it got sorted as they constantly talked and demanded it from the CB.

This was high profile Cork players playing the big lads and engaging the CB head on and using the only tool available to them. Get rid of a manager at all costs. They wouldn't even talk to the man for christ sake, couldn;t even reason with him. No they built it up until the whole county was in  a frenzy.

This may have been about Cork Hurling but its effects will be felt in other countys in the near future at IC level and club level. Without a doubt.

Oh ya, forgot about the GPA in all of this. Wait for a minute there I thought they had nothing to do with this dispute at all.
For a minute there I thought that the hurlers wanted to get rid of the manager because of the way in which he was reappointed, apparenlty not.
And oh ya, for a minute there the players actually did try and talk to the Cb and Gerald and apparently everytime they attempted to make contact they were never gotten back to, and then that was apparently conveniently forgotten in the press by the Cb and Gerald as well.
For a minute there I thought differently, but then I rememberd the players are and always have been 100% wrong, as has anyone who has ever backed them, they all have had some alternative motive and that they are all wrong, everyone, players, fans, clubs, jorunos, the whole lot, all are 100% wrong.

Going over old ground again and I'm not going there. The above is my take on it and I'm happy with it. You and the players can dress it up all you like but I, and the majority of the posters on this thread, can see that there was a bigger issue here than the reappointment of Ger McCarthy. This was about power and the GPA want that power and in Cork they would appear to have it.

Lets see what happens over the next weeks with the clubs and the CB. You can bet that the players won't be involved casue they know they have got what they wanted on this occassion. The players have struck a blow for the GPA and player power.

Phase 2 will be the budget next week when the Gov cut the players funding.

They'll have no input into the selection of a new manager but you can be sure that their man will get it.

Reillers

Quote from: dowling on March 11, 2009, 04:31:02 PM
Quote from: Reillers on March 11, 2009, 04:24:23 PM
Quote from: dowling on March 11, 2009, 04:21:28 PM
In spite of everything pro posters have written in this debate it still amazes me that they can argue over the threat made to Gerald McCarthy.
"He made his bed", "it's not really the CIRA", "it's not to be taken seriously", " it's nothing to do with the 2008 panel".

How low can you all go?

Playing down the threat, playing down the impact it may have. Not hard to do when it's someone else's family.

But I don't believe this simply a case, especially on Reillers part, of not knowing the impact of what they're writing. It's a case of trying to deflect away from the seriouness of this latest development of the 2008 panel's strike.

And it's directly linked to the strike and a consequence of the villification of Gerald McCarthy.

None of us could probably have predicted this happening but what some of us have predicted was the bitter consequences to what was taking place.
Others haven't cared what might come to pass and their attitude now underlines that.

There was only one course for Reillers, GAA and their like, to come on here and codemn what took place, call on the culprit/s to give themselves up and acknowledge things have gone too far and call on the 2008 panel to make a statement.

There's no argument here and don't try to kid the rest of us there is or deflect from what happened.

It still amazes me that you continue to take everything I say out of context completley to make me look bad.
Cop yourself on will ya ffs and read my posts.
How long are you going to continue to keep that up.

Make you look bad Reillers? You're doing alright on your own, you don't need my help.

Admit that you are blatantly taking things I say out of context.

muppet

This whole mess is related to the ongoing battle for the soul of the GAA between those who follow the GPA line of every thing having a monetary value and the old concept of service to the community and it is a cancer that is slowly eating away at the GAA

I was speaking to an old friend involved in a junior football club in Ulster last week.  He told me that the cost of running their main team for last year was circa Stg 20,000 for which they were moderately successful!  The manager was £10K (cash of course) the pgysio £6K(I doubt he took a cheque) etc. etc. When I expressed my disbelief he said the players attitude was they would not play unless they were properly prepared and it was either give in to these ridiculus demands or not field.  Of course it was up to the committee to raise the funds not the players!!    What happens this year when there is so less money about for sponsorship or to support draws is going to be interesting to see and as I said previously are the GAA going to provide the €5M when the goverment withdraw the GPA funding - It will be interesting to see will the Cork lads wash their own jerseys!!

Hundreds of pages and finally an on target post. Except everyone completely missed the point.  ::)
MWWSI 2017

Reillers

Quote from: bingobus on March 11, 2009, 04:40:04 PM

Zoyler, that is spot on. We are currently fundraising and asking any business for €100 towards a golf classic is like asking them to cut off their hand.

Yet some on here can only this as a dispute by the Cork hurlers to give them a chance to win an All-ireland. The same hurlers who have forced a major company pull out of a lucrative contract for the Cork CB, thrown a rival soft drinks onto the terrace away from the goals, who have some of the highest profiles of any Hurler in the country, who hold key position in the GPA.

Players deserve what they get but the GPA is an elite organisation for the elite players. I know the Monghan Hurlers had problems getting their playing gear from the CB last year and despite attempts to contact the GPA for assistance none was ever received. Eventually it got sorted as they constantly talked and demanded it from the CB.

This was high profile Cork players playing the big lads and engaging the CB head on and using the only tool available to them. Get rid of a manager at all costs. They wouldn't even talk to the man for christ sake, couldn;t even reason with him. No they built it up until the whole county was in  a frenzy.

This may have been about Cork Hurling but its effects will be felt in other countys in the near future at IC level and club level. Without a doubt.

Oh ya, forgot about the GPA in all of this. Wait for a minute there I thought they had nothing to do with this dispute at all.
For a minute there I thought that the hurlers wanted to get rid of the manager because of the way in which he was reappointed, apparenlty not.
And oh ya, for a minute there the players actually did try and talk to the Cb and Gerald and apparently everytime they attempted to make contact they were never gotten back to, and then that was apparently conveniently forgotten in the press by the Cb and Gerald as well.
For a minute there I thought differently, but then I rememberd the players are and always have been 100% wrong, as has anyone who has ever backed them, they all have had some alternative motive and that they are all wrong, everyone, players, fans, clubs, jorunos, the whole lot, all are 100% wrong.

Going over old ground again and I'm not going there. The above is my take on it and I'm happy with it. You and the players can dress it up all you like but I, and the majority of the posters on this thread, can see that there was a bigger issue here than the reappointment of Ger McCarthy. This was about power and the GPA want that power and in Cork they would appear to have it.

Lets see what happens over the next weeks with the clubs and the CB. You can bet that the players won't be involved casue they know they have got what they wanted on this occassion. The players have struck a blow for the GPA and player power.

They'll have no input into the selection of a new manager but you can be sure that their man will get it.
All anyone on here does is go over old ground over and over again. I bring up something which they can't answer and suddenly no they wont address that.
The majority of posters on here are OM and Indianna and Dowling who don't give a damn about what's going on who just love to bitch about the players.
The power struggle in Cork was to do with the CB wanting to get power back that they lost from the players in 2002, it is a completly seperate power struggle to that of the GPA.
The player-cb struggle for power was over the power the clubs had, the little voice that they had in all of this. That is the main power struggle which had nothing to do with the GPA, it barely had anything to do with the IC players, it was a power struggle of all clubs against the CB.
The GPA never came into it.
How will their man get in if they have no imput. The players don't even want to be on the selection panel so what, now Donal Og will send a player rep, lets just say, JBM in or Allen or Corcoran or whoever to make them get a GPA man in. And who the hell in your view is a GPA man. O Grady? Allen?
Who?

At the end of all of this it was the power pull between clubs and the CB, nothing to do with the GPA at all. The clubs had a decision to make and they made it, GPA free.

turk

I avoided getting into the debate in relation to Gerald McCarthy's mother's death although at the time I believed it was a terrible thing that only a few players had the decency to pay their respects. Now that we know it was contrived by the panel for panellists not to go iit's a terrible reflection on them and especially the individual who thought it up.

I never heard that!

that's very disappointing

orangeman

REILLERS :
The majority of posters on here are OM and Indianna and Dowling who don't give a damn about what's going on who just love to bitch about the players

You didn't mention Heffo ! Maybe you don't want to given that wee row there about you insulting, what's the name you called him .......... "Sideshow Bob" !  ;)

bingobus

Reillers don't fool yourself that it was a power struggle between the clubs and the CB. The clubs done nothing, and I mean jackshit, until about 2 weeks ago when they eventually got involved after been invited to air their views by the players in a situation that was very much about the players not playing under Ger McCarthy.

This dispute lasted 4/5 months and only the last two weeks did the clubs deliver the nail that was held by the players and the hammer put in their hand by the players.

The clubs should have been rounding on the delegates who had voted against their wishes or without consent.

If it is a power struggle with the CB and clubs then it is far from finished yet. If the clubs sit back now and drink pints to the departure of Cer McCarthy and how they have the power now then it is a even a worst mess than when the players went on strike.

zoyler

Reilliers - there is an old saying that exactly descripes your attitude ' There are none as blind as those who do not wish to see'

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on March 11, 2009, 05:07:32 PM
REILLERS :
The majority of posters on here are OM and Indianna and Dowling who don't give a damn about what's going on who just love to bitch about the players

You didn't mention Heffo ! Maybe you don't want to given that wee row there about you insulting, what's the name you called him .......... "Sideshow Bob" !  ;)

Woops forgot. The row that broke a rule that if a mod bothered to look would probably get him a ban, oh I remember that, and I never directly called his "friend" who he "text" Sideshow Bob. I said that's what others called him. Never did I directly call him that.

Good to see you denying it though OM.

Reillers

Quote from: turk on March 11, 2009, 05:06:00 PM

I never heard that!

Also not true, something which the players denied. It was also removed by RTE.

They in case you forget put back the meeting of the clubs because of the death because it was irrespectful.  They paid their respects but felt it wouldn't be appropirate to go.

There is a reason you didn't hear it, because it's not true.

orangeman

They paid their respects but felt it wouldn't be appropirate to go.

I'm not letting you tell a blatant lie here Reillers cos that's what you just have told - tell us how how many "paid their respects" and how - how many went to the removal and how many were at the funeral, seeing as you brought it up -

PM me if you don't want to discuss this on the board.

But you've just told a downright lie.

Here is Gerald's statement : McCarthy said the final straw for him came when his father, who is in his mid 80s, pleaded with him to step down after the latest threat.

McCarthy said the ongoing threats and abuse he and his family have had to endure in recent weeks were "one of two tipping points" that have brought him to his decision.

He also claimed last night that "apparent advice" was given to the 2008 players not to attend the recent funeral of his mother, something he says "devastated his father and family".

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: Reillers on March 11, 2009, 05:28:45 PM
Quote from: turk on March 11, 2009, 05:06:00 PM

I never heard that!

Also not true, something which the players denied. It was also removed by RTE.

They in case you forget put back the meeting of the clubs because of the death because it was irrespectful.  They paid their respects but felt it wouldn't be appropirate to go.

There is a reason you didn't hear it, because it's not true.

Either way Reillers as you stated yourself "they didn't go".  That alone was disrespectful, the fact the Ger has been a great servant to Cork hurling and paved the way for these players and also was the manager to that bunch of players for two years yet the majority of them couldn't put this dispute to one side for a few hours and attend either the removal or the mass and burial.

INDIANA

Quote from: Reillers on March 11, 2009, 04:48:48 PM
Quote from: bingobus on March 11, 2009, 04:40:04 PM

All anyone on here does is go over old ground over and over again. I bring up something which they can't answer and suddenly no they wont address that.
The majority of posters on here are OM and Indianna and Dowling who don't give a damn about what's going on who just love to bitch about the players.
The power struggle in Cork was to do with the CB wanting to get power back that they lost from the players in 2002, it is a completly seperate power struggle to that of the GPA.
The player-cb struggle for power was over the power the clubs had, the little voice that they had in all of this. That is the main power struggle which had nothing to do with the GPA, it barely had anything to do with the IC players, it was a power struggle of all clubs against the CB.
The GPA never came into it.
How will their man get in if they have no imput. The players don't even want to be on the selection panel so what, now Donal Og will send a player rep, lets just say, JBM in or Allen or Corcoran or whoever to make them get a GPA man in. And who the hell in your view is a GPA man. O Grady? Allen?
Who?

At the end of all of this it was the power pull between clubs and the CB, nothing to do with the GPA at all. The clubs had a decision to make and they made it, GPA free.

We don't Reillers we deal in the facts. If we let you have your way around here the 2008 players would be up for canonisation before Mother Theresa. You can't accept any criticism of these individuals whatsoever and just trot out the same stock lines that were on the first page of the thread. You can't accept it wasn't petty of the players not to attend the funeral, you can' accept not one journalist has written any critical pieces of them, you can't accept that the Clubs of Cork have sat on their hands for 20 years watching things going down the swanny, you can't accept that the first port of call if there is disagreement is to go on strike and you can't accept that regardless of what has happened in the dispute that Gerald has been disgracefully treated.
This is a messageboard not Reillersboard, you're entitled to put your point of view across but you do not have the right to question posters when they give their opinions on matters.You think they are all great men, some of us don't. Thats life.
You can't take any moral high ground on insults either because you've insulted plenty of people in this debate. So put a sock in it with the cry me a river stories.
If you want to setup an appreciation site for the 2008 panel it is not that difficult in this technical age to setup your own website. At this stage this debate is largely over and I'd recommend a new thread on future developments and let this one go to bed.

dowling

RTE sport headline on news . 2008 panel ready, able and willing to work alonside Frank Murphy.

You couldn't write this stuff yourself.