Kerry v Monaghan part 2

Started by Kerry Mike, July 27, 2008, 10:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingobus

Disappointing to say the least but its more disappointing not to have an Ulster in the pocket after seeing that display and comparing it to the Fermanagh game.

No point going into depth, as its all been said. Main points:

- We still need a second midfielder.
- Our bench is a major weakness and needs to be addressed in the NFL
- That missed chance proved very costly
- Kerry had that bit extra and got scores when they needed them.

Donaghy had a great second half and is hard to handle. On that form he will be hard to stop and if Cooper can find some form, then they'll be hard to beat. As like last year, you imagine that the physical nature of the game will bring them on but they need to strengthen midfield and the full-back line.

Dinny Breen

Actually why was there only 4 minutes extra time in this game, the injury near the end was nearly a five minute stoppage, I actually timed it. By my calculations there should have been at least 8 minutes.
#newbridgeornowhere

Main Street

If you count the  bould Daragh O'Se hitting the ground in "agony" or was he laughing his head off, should have been 10 minutes.

There must be some psychological hangover thing since the GAA added the extra 10 minutes of play to games, the idea that that takes care of most of the stoppages.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 05, 2008, 12:14:47 PM
Actually why was there only 4 minutes extra time in this game, the injury near the end was nearly a five minute stoppage, I actually timed it. By my calculations there should have been at least 8 minutes.
At the start of tv3's coverage they were doing a 'ball in play' stat, they were regularly coming up with 32/33 mins come the end of the game.  Overall though injury time is a joke, in hurling it's normally 2 minutes, no matter what has happened, in football 3 mins.  Then they rarely add on extra for the time wasted between 68 and 73mins, when normally the ball is in play for max a minute.  The Tyrone v Mayo game was terrible for this, Tyrone and Kerry both wasted the injury time very efficiently.
The best solution would be taking the time out of the referee's hands of course, but will they do that? 
Quote from: donelli on August 05, 2008, 10:35:24 AM

The hanratty miss was the losing of the game for monaghan. I thought he was right to go for it. the day earlier in Croker, mortimer choose to take a point when a goal was on which probably would have given mayo victory. when the opportunity is there, you take your chance. Goals wins matches, which was what donaghys effectively done.

Mortimer had a relatively easy goal chance, Hanratty's was very difficult, the point would have been a far better option, as rhhf pointed out Woods was denied what seemed to be a certain free minutes before that, either of those events taking place could easily have turned that game around.

Maguire01

Quote from: bingobus on August 05, 2008, 11:45:24 AM

- Our bench is a major weakness and needs to be addressed in the NFL

Agreed. A bit oversight by management in this year's league not to experiment. B McKenna should be given some time in midfield during the league to see how he measures up. What about Duffy, Smyth or Ronaghan? We need more options for next year.

Armamike

Quote from: full back on August 04, 2008, 11:43:33 AM
Kerry proved yesterday that they are a step up from the majority of teams in the country. Cant see any team being able to handle Donaghy.
IMHO the only way to stop Kerry is ensure the ball doesnt go in to him.
Easier said than done when O'Se is doing his job so well. He may not be making as many forward runs - but he is making enough catches, breaks, spoils & in general being a cnut around the middle (no bad thing)
The Gooch had an off day in comparison to his normal performance yet Kerry closed the game out at a canter
It's Kerry's to lose again

Agree totally. It's hard to imagine any team being able to handle Donaghy with any decent amount of ball going into him. The hoor's just too big and useful on the ball!  Kerry teams will always concede a few scores at the back but they can pretty much outscore most, with the overall quality from midfield onwards. Any team looking to beat Kerry will have to outfield O'Se for pretty much 70 mins or crowd them out around the middle, and not let them get any decent ball in.  You have to admire Dara O'Se and Kerry - he gets his hands on the ball at key stages in the match and Kerry in general get the big scores at the right time - they know when to sprint for the finishing line.  They went for the jugular against Monaghan around the 50-55 minute mark and the game was basically over with 10 minutes remaining. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

charlie linkbox

On a separate issue.......

I'd just like to say how disgusted I was with the Monaghan "fans" on the Hill. They were nothing short of an embarrassment and a disgrace. And I'm from Monaghan.

They arrived in full to the throat singing "I hope you die in your sleep Colm Cooper", "you can shove your f**king Kingdom up your ass", and such like. One fat ba$tard was hardly in the gate before he was sticking his two fingers in some Kerry lads' faces and roaring at them to f*ck off. Another wee sh!t stole yer man's John 3:7 sign and legged it up the Hill. In fairness to them, a couple of Kerry lads went after him and got it back.

If I was in charge of the whole thing I'd round up them louts and cull every single one of them. It would be society's gain.

I suppose the silver lining to Sunday's defeat is that it'll be at least 12 months before we see any of them at a Monaghan match again. No fear of them annoying me at a McKenna Cup match next January.

I also have to say I won't be criticizing Dublin's bandwagon jumpers again after last Sunday. It turns out we have w@nkers just as bad.

Rant over.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

comethekingdom

Quote from: charlie linkbox on August 05, 2008, 05:41:50 PM
On a separate issue…….

I’d just like to say how disgusted I was with the Monaghan “fans” on the Hill. They were nothing short of an embarrassment and a disgrace. And I’m from Monaghan.

They arrived in full to the throat singing “I hope you die in your sleep Colm Cooper”, “you can shove your f**king Kingdom up your ass”, and such like. One fat ba$tard was hardly in the gate before he was sticking his two fingers in some Kerry lads’ faces and roaring at them to f*ck off. Another wee sh!t stole yer man’s John 3:7 sign and legged it up the Hill. In fairness to them, a couple of Kerry lads went after him and got it back.

If I was in charge of the whole thing I’d round up them louts and cull every single one of them. It would be society’s gain.

I suppose the silver lining to Sunday’s defeat is that it’ll be at least 12 months before we see any of them at a Monaghan match again. No fear of them annoying me at a McKenna Cup match next January.

I also have to say I won’t be criticizing Dublin’s bandwagon jumpers again after last Sunday. It turns out we have w@nkers just as bad.

Rant over.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Have to say I have seen an awful lot of bad manners from some of the Ulster teams fans in croker and its environs over the years - very sad to see that a handful of Monaghan clowns have let their great county down and joined them.

Yes I Would

[/quote]
Have to say I have seen an awful lot of bad manners from some of the Ulster teams fans in croker and its environs over the years - very sad to see that a handful of Monaghan clowns have let their great county down and joined them.
[/quote]

Where were the stewards?? Dont think its fair to classify some of these shitheads as fans. Its just an excuse for them to get lamped on booze and just cause a general annoyance for anyone that is near their vicinity.  They arent really there for the football.

haranguerer

Lad from Monaghan told me that there was some vote (after last years run) on who had the worst fans. Monaghan won it apparently. Dunno what the vote is/was (can anyone enlighten me?) but much weight was added to his claim by the fact he seemed proud of it.

And comethekingdom, can I assume so that you haven't had the pleasure of meeting fermangh fans there yet?  :P