Kerry v Monaghan part 2

Started by Kerry Mike, July 27, 2008, 10:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrones own

Quotequestioned a decission

Surely that's a bit of an understatement by any mans standards John?
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Maguire01

Quote from: tbrick18 on August 04, 2008, 06:12:32 PM
....was it the fermanagh gaem Woods was taken off then put back on? Any team that resorts to doing that surely has a weak bench.
Did Walsh not go off and come back on yesterday? Do Kerry therefore have a weak bench?
(btw, i didn't agree with Woods coming back on in the Fermanagh game)

J70

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 04, 2008, 03:17:33 PM

Also I do believe that a lack-lustre, but talented, Donegal team would have been demolished by Kerry.

We would have given it a right go, but I think sooner or later Donaghy would have wreaked enough havoc on the edge of the square to let Kerry in for a couple of goals. I couldn't see us finishing within 4 or 5 points of them, to be honest.

johnpower

Quote from: Tyrones own on August 04, 2008, 06:39:13 PM
Quotequestioned a decission

Surely that's a bit of an understatement by any mans standards John?

My point is that Maurice Deegan allowed him to complain and just got on with it .What do want ? players to ape rugby and call the ref sir . If the ref had an issue he would have warned him .

johnpower

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 04, 2008, 06:42:16 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on August 04, 2008, 06:12:32 PM
....was it the fermanagh gaem Woods was taken off then put back on? Any team that resorts to doing that surely has a weak bench.
Did Walsh not go off and come back on yesterday? Do Kerry therefore have a weak bench?
(btw, i didn't agree with Woods coming back on in the Fermanagh game)

Walsh did come back on but time was up . The kerry bench did well yesterday but I am not convinced it is as strong as some people make out .

Main Street

Didn't Walsh just come back on for Donaghy?

Banty says he is going off for a holiday to muse over future.

'After four years of "giving everything" McEnaney said he would take time before deciding if he would make himself available to continue.'

"I've given this job four years of my life. I have a young family and I have a lots of businesses in Monaghan. I'll take two weeks and go away with the family and I'll decide in five or six weeks."

However Colm Keyes thinks
'McEnaney is bound to return however and continue the pursuit of silverware, particularly a much coveted Ulster title.'

This 2nd gear Kerry jibe is a joke of an opinion.
I would put the Monaghan performance into another perspective.
I think we all witnessed a supreme football character performance from Kerry. One that no other team has sustained in this Championship over the 70 minutes against an opposition that did not lie down.

johnpower

Quote from: Main Street on August 04, 2008, 07:41:29 PM
Didn't Walsh just come back on for Donaghy?

Banty says he is going off for a holiday to muse over future.

'After four years of "giving everything" McEnaney said he would take time before deciding if he would make himself available to continue.'

"I've given this job four years of my life. I have a young family and I have a lots of businesses in Monaghan. I'll take two weeks and go away with the family and I'll decide in five or six weeks."

However Colm Keyes thinks
'McEnaney is bound to return however and continue the pursuit of silverware, particularly a much coveted Ulster title.'

This 2nd gear Kerry jibe is a joke of an opinion.
I would put the Monaghan performance into another perspective.
I think we all witnessed a supreme football character performance from Kerry. One that no other team has sustained in this Championship over the 70 minutes against an opposition that did not lie down.

Definitely not second gear . Lucky to get through .Monaghan have quality players  . I thought the game was played at full championship pace . For me the key was the Goal while well taken had a bit of good fortune as Eoin Brosnan nearly lost possession .

comethekingdom

Have to say I was very pleased with the Kerry performance. Great preparation work done. 1st half was a dog fight but it was great to see Dara on form again. Clerkin was really bouncing off him and should have accecpted Daras request for a handshake at one stage when the ref was throwing the ball in! ;) ;)
People must give credit to Monaghan for theit work rate and intensty and I do believe they have let 2 ulster titles slip by this year and last yr. However this carry on about ulster being terribly competitive is rubbish - Only 2 teams - Armagh and Tyrone have won the last 10 ulster titles and 3 all irelands between them altogether! Leinster and connaught  have had more provincal winners each.
Hope we can put Galway away next weekend in a match that will not be as physical as yesterdays but its good to see that the hunger is still there.

Bord na Mona man

For a short while yesterday, Monaghan looked like they could deliver the knockout to Kerry. When they drew level with Kerry in the second half, there was a hint that Kerry were in bother. They were an element of desperation in the Kerry tackling; hauling back and dragging down and the Kerry back line was starting to creak.
Once Hanratty missed the goal chance and Kerry went up the other end of the field and scored, the danger had passed and Kerry managed to put a bit of daylight between the sides.

A few basic things Monaghan didn't do. Marking for kickouts, sidelines and frees. Kerry took a few short kickouts and worked the ball upfield too easily. Monaghan won a lot of the early kickouts that went to midfield. It wasn't until later in the game that Darragh O'Sé came into it. Too often after a Monaghan score, they allowed Kerry to instantly come down the field and reply.

Monaghan also didn't do enough to crowd the middle of their defence.
A lot of Kerry scores came from managing to break one tackle around the 45 and having empty space behind it to exploit.
The ball was too easily transferred between their attackers in the Monaghan half.

Monaghan did have the right approach, match Kerry's physicality, rattle them hard and see how they handle it. They didn't get the whirlwind start of last year, but they may have had a better chance of winning by getting the run on Kerry in the second half as they almost did yesterday. McEneaney did a good job in getting the players prepared again for this year. A lot of counties lose momentum after one vintage campaign. If he stays on next year, he could well bring them on further. It all depends on the players and how hungry they are.

Kerry have a few things to sort out.
Their defence wasn't all that great. They did a lot of dragging back and holding that wasn't spotted by the ref.
In a second half that had a lot of stoppages and substitutions, Monaghan still scored 10 points.
When Monaghan did get any decent possession, they looked like they could open up the Kerry defence.

Galway won't be as physical the next day, but they do have seriously skilful forwards. A good supply of ball to them and a stringent ref could see Kerry conceding a fair amount of scores.

johnpower

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on August 04, 2008, 10:49:42 PM
For a short while yesterday, Monaghan looked like they could deliver the knockout to Kerry. When they drew level with Kerry in the second half, there was a hint that Kerry were in bother. They were an element of desperation in the Kerry tackling; hauling back and dragging down and the Kerry back line was starting to creak.
Once Hanratty missed the goal chance and Kerry went up the other end of the field and scored, the danger had passed and Kerry managed to put a bit of daylight between the sides.

A few basic things Monaghan didn't do. Marking for kickouts, sidelines and frees. Kerry took a few short kickouts and worked the ball upfield too easily. Monaghan won a lot of the early kickouts that went to midfield. It wasn't until later in the game that Darragh O'Sé came into it. Too often after a Monaghan score, they allowed Kerry to instantly come down the field and reply.

Monaghan also didn't do enough to crowd the middle of their defence.
A lot of Kerry scores came from managing to break one tackle around the 45 and having empty space behind it to exploit.
The ball was too easily transferred between their attackers in the Monaghan half.

Monaghan did have the right approach, match Kerry's physicality, rattle them hard and see how they handle it. They didn't get the whirlwind start of last year, but they may have had a better chance of winning by getting the run on Kerry in the second half as they almost did yesterday. McEneaney did a good job in getting the players prepared again for this year. A lot of counties lose momentum after one vintage campaign. If he stays on next year, he could well bring them on further. It all depends on the players and how hungry they are.

Kerry have a few things to sort out.
Their defence wasn't all that great. They did a lot of dragging back and holding that wasn't spotted by the ref.
In a second half that had a lot of stoppages and substitutions, Monaghan still scored 10 points.
When Monaghan did get any decent possession, they looked like they could open up the Kerry defence.

Galway won't be as physical the next day, but they do have seriously skilful forwards. A good supply of ball to them and a stringent ref could see Kerry conceding a fair amount of scores.

Good analysis .Now that I have seen it again .Kerrys defence will have to improve . Hard to know how Galway are shaping up .I am not taking this one for granted

Maguire01

Quote from: comethekingdom on August 04, 2008, 08:47:18 PM
Have to say I was very pleased with the Kerry performance. Great preparation work done. 1st half was a dog fight but it was great to see Dara on form again. Clerkin was really bouncing off him and should have accecpted Daras request for a handshake at one stage when the ref was throwing the ball in! ;) ;)

Yes, second game in a row for O'Sé's handshake. How very genuine and sporting of him.  ::)

donelli

Very dissapointed with the outcome of the game. Heartbreak against kerry in croker ....again.

No gripes about the victory, but did anyone else think that some of the kerry handpassing were fouls??
the donaghy fisted point in the 2nd half, the pass that led to the penalty are two that stick in my mind (havn't seen any of the action on tv yet). There were a number of others were the balls looked to be thrown as opposed to correctely handpassed.

The hanratty miss was the losing of the game for monaghan. I thought he was right to go for it. the day earlier in Croker, mortimer choose to take a point when a goal was on which probably would have given mayo victory. when the opportunity is there, you take your chance. Goals wins matches, which was what donaghys effectively done.

Our shooting in the 1st half was disappointing. I think we had about 7 wides (from 5 men), where most chances were scorable.

An ulster title was the one that got away for Monaghan this year. I hope Monaghan can re-group next year and deliver an anglo celt for the first time in 21 years. Given the effort and summers they have given the supporters in the last few years, they would deserve it.

rrhf

After the teams were drawn level Rory Woods was denied a 14 yard free after being pulled down.  Just after the goal chance came.  Had Monaghan been a point up surely the cub would have taken his point to put Monaghan 2 up.  Donaghy had as much of a goal chance at the far end when he boxed it over the bar.  Experience eh.  Monaghan emptied the tanks, left no stone unturned but again came up short.  I dont think theres an all Ireland in them, and would expect that their high expectations might break up their management team after an amazing couple of years.   

Hollow Man

QuoteOnly 2 teams - Armagh and Tyrone have won the last 10 ulster titles and 3 all irelands between them altogether! Leinster and connaught  have had more provincal winners each.

True, but you have to remember that in the same period

- Donegal, Derry and Fermanagh have reached All Ireland semi-finals
- Armagh and Tyrone have won three All Irelands between them
- Donegal, Armagh and Derry have won the NFL
- Cavan reached the NFL Division One final
- Monaghan reached the All Ireland quarter-final and ran the eventual winners to a point

You won't see that sort of depth in Connacht (Leitrim are terrible, Sligo just lost to London, Roscommon are bottom three in the country on form and Londonand New York are pathetic) or Leinster (only two counties more then Ulster enter, yet their championship includes no-hopers like Offaly, Carlow, Wicklow and Louth, while the top teams are noweher near the level of Armagh or Tyrone).

I know Louth drew with Tyrone but we all know they are not half the team.

thebandit

If only......

Still not ready to talk about it!!!