slow corner back

Quote from: EC Unique on April 08, 2009, 11:17:43 AM
Quote from: full back on April 08, 2009, 10:12:29 AM
Quote from: EC Unique on April 08, 2009, 10:05:51 AM
Anyone know how far away Berbatrov is?

Not far enough IMHO

Wouldnt start him even if fit next week
Would start with Rooney & Tevez up front
With Ronaldo being lazier than usual last night, I dont think we can carry Berbatov as well against a very energetic & attacking minded Porto team

I would not start him either but he would be a great option on the bench. According to sky sports Rio will not be fit this weekend and Evans looking doubtfull too so we will have a back 4 the same as finished the game last night :-\

I hope I'm wrong but the wheels are getting loose :o

Whats the story with Rafael, is he injured? Could be a useful option against Sunderland at least. What about Wes Brown is he out for the season?

mrsandman

Quote from: A Daintier Hero on April 08, 2009, 03:56:11 PM
Ronaldo just won the Premier League, Champions League and World Club Championship. I don't think the argument is about success.

It is more about his ego, growing up seeing Madrid as the biggest club in the world and one day wanting to be part of that spectacle.

Thats true, but i think he has realised now that it is not the spectacle it once was.
Constipated People Don't Give A crap.

mountainboii

Quote from: corn02 on April 08, 2009, 03:34:59 PM
Quote from: AFS on April 08, 2009, 03:01:22 PM
Quote from: corn02 on April 08, 2009, 02:51:59 PM

Can't say I agree with that.

Why?

United are the most high profile, and currently the most successful team in the Premier League. The Premier League is the most well attended, most financially lucrative, most viewed, and highest ranked league in the world.

Fifa voted Mdrid the biggest team of the 20th century.

Real Madrid have been more successful thn United.

Real Madrid is the richest club in europe.

A Harvard University study found that there are 287 million people in the world with an interest in Madrid - according to the study that is higher than United.

Ronaldo would get mroe

The first two points are not relevant to the current situation that both clubs find themselves in.

Although Madrid may currently be the richest club, United are the most profitable, which I think is a more telling fact.

That study is 4 years old, i.e. done before United's reemergence as a European force, so again not a very accurate reflection of the current situation.

Ronaldo would get more independent commercial deals if he continued playing for United  ;)

TBH, I don't really care. I'd love to offload him to Madrid in the summer and buy 2 or 3 quality players with the proceeds to strengthen the midfield. But I suppose if I was in his shoes my thinking would be more along the lines of 'who am I most likely to win stuff with', and at the minute that's undoubtedly United.

A Daintier Hero

Quote from: AFS on April 08, 2009, 04:04:05 PM
Quote from: corn02 on April 08, 2009, 03:34:59 PM
Quote from: AFS on April 08, 2009, 03:01:22 PM
Quote from: corn02 on April 08, 2009, 02:51:59 PM

Can't say I agree with that.

Why?

United are the most high profile, and currently the most successful team in the Premier League. The Premier League is the most well attended, most financially lucrative, most viewed, and highest ranked league in the world.

Fifa voted Mdrid the biggest team of the 20th century.

Real Madrid have been more successful thn United.

Real Madrid is the richest club in europe.

A Harvard University study found that there are 287 million people in the world with an interest in Madrid - according to the study that is higher than United.

Ronaldo would get mroe

The first two points are not relevant to the current situation that both clubs find themselves in.

Although Madrid may currently be the richest club, United are the most profitable, which I think is a more telling fact.

That study is 4 years old, i.e. done before United's reemergence as a European force, so again not a very accurate reflection of the current situation.

Ronaldo would get more independent commercial deals if he continued playing for United  ;)

TBH, I don't really care. I'd love to offload him to Madrid in the summer and buy 2 or 3 quality players with the proceeds to strengthen the midfield. But I suppose if I was in his shoes my thinking would be more along the lines of 'who am I most likely to win stuff with', and at the minute that's undoubtedly United.

Obviously that is not his thinking otherwise after winning the PL and CL last year why would he have indicated he wanted to go to Madrid.

I notice you haven't corrected your statement about the PL being the most well attended league in the world.

mountainboii

Quote from: A Daintier Hero on April 08, 2009, 04:07:34 PM

I notice you haven't corrected your statement about the PL being the most well attended league in the world.

It is in my opinion. You were subjective with the figures you chose.

Total attendances for the 2007/08 season:

Premier League - 13,676,390
Bundesliga - 11,926,350

The average might be higher in Germany, but the bottom line is that each year the EPL has more people through it's gates than any other league in the world.

A Daintier Hero

Because there are more games.

I think average attendances is undoubtedly the fairest and most accurate way of determining which is better attended.

corn02

Quote from: AFS on April 08, 2009, 04:26:04 PM
Quote from: A Daintier Hero on April 08, 2009, 04:07:34 PM

It is in my opinion. You were subjective with the figures you chose.

Total attendances for the 2007/08 season:

Premier League - 13,676,390
Bundesliga - 11,926,350

The average might be higher in Germany, but the bottom line is that each year the EPL has more people through it's gates than any other league in the world.

Surely that's just saving face AFS. The highest average should be the considered figure. Otherwie the Northern Ireland League could play 1000 matches a season and come close to the title.

Re: Madrid v United. I am sure there are studies/arguements about ho is bigger, probably a personal opinion deciion.

mountainboii

Quote from: A Daintier Hero on April 08, 2009, 04:28:52 PM

I think average attendances is undoubtedly the fairest and most accurate way of determining which is better attended.

Well yeah it probably is. My choice of wording wasn't great, but the point I was trying to prove in that post was that the EPL is a better vehicle for sustaining his profile. I think the fact that it has more people through it's gates than any other league in the world goes some way to doing this.

corn02

Quote from: AFS on April 08, 2009, 04:34:25 PM

Well yeah it probably is. My choice of wording wasn't great, but the point I was trying to prove in that post was that the EPL is a better vehicle for sustaining his profile. I think the fact that it has more people through it's gates than any other league in the world goes some way to doing this.

I think continental players would view European football and lot differently than us exposed to th Premiership.

In the likes of Italy, Speain etc, etc the CL is the biggest trophy you can win.

In England we see that sometimes the PL is bigger.

Ronaldo I think would just love to play for Madrid and become the biggest Galatico they have signed. I also think he would like the notion of a team being completly and utterly built around him as would be the case in Madrid. He would probably get the captiancy straight away with Cannavaro and Raul on their way out.

ExiledGael

Quote from: corn02 on April 08, 2009, 04:42:03 PM
Quote from: AFS on April 08, 2009, 04:34:25 PM

I think continental players would view European football and lot differently than us exposed to th Premiership.

In the likes of Italy, Speain etc, etc the CL is the biggest trophy you can win.

In England we see that sometimes the PL is bigger.

Ronaldo I think would just love to play for Madrid and become the biggest Galatico they have signed. I also think he would like the notion of a team being completly and utterly built around him as would be the case in Madrid. He would probably get the captiancy straight away with Cannavaro and Raul on their way out.

Whatever else, the captaincy issue is nonsense. Absolutley no chance, maybe of him ever being captain anywhere. Just not captain material, certainly not at Madrid with homegrown players like Cassillas there. I know they're the Newcastle of Europe but I can't see that at all.

gawa316

Quote from: ExiledGael on April 08, 2009, 06:47:54 PM

Whatever else, the captaincy issue is nonsense. Absolutley no chance, maybe of him ever being captain anywhere. Just not captain material, certainly not at Madrid with homegrown players like Cassillas there. I know they're the Newcastle of Europe but I can't see that at all.

Might be wrong but thought I heard he was captain of Portugal. Couldn't think of anyone worse to be honest

mountainboii

Quote from: gawa316 on April 08, 2009, 06:50:59 PM
Quote from: ExiledGael on April 08, 2009, 06:47:54 PM

Might be wrong but thought I heard he was captain of Portugal. Couldn't think of anyone worse to be honest

Nani...

The Corporal

Hopefully some team out there will take Nani off our hands in the summer, he is brutal

full back

Nani is just like Ronaldo..............................without the assists & goals

mrsandman

Quote from: full back on April 09, 2009, 08:10:43 AM
Nani is just like Ronaldo..............................without the assists & goals

Great left foot, and an excellent celebration...Ronaldo without as much sulking id say, and as many goals/assists
Constipated People Don't Give A crap.