Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

United are actually beginning to play well now. Its a real bonus to be so comfortable in the league without having hit top form. The 5 is a tall order but it might be possible. Even though I don't think they're that great I'm worried about United getting done on Wednesday night.

RedandGreenSniper

Yeah Wednesday is the big concern now with the league looking safe and FA Cup semi not til mid April. I don't rate Inter but I do rate Mourinho's ability to do something on a one off game. The nil all draw first time round means we have to win on Wednesday. Performance tonight was good but Fulham looked nothing like the superb defensive team they've been all season. Three of the goals were preventable (Tevez's first being the exception).
Interesting to hear Pat Dolan say afterwards that the occasion is going to come when United are going to need to have their strongest team on the pitch and this is when Ferguson will be 'forced' to play Rooney and Tevez up front together. Think that's lakes myself, I reckon Berba will be our match winner in big European games.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

corn02

The treble plus plastic double is certainly on.

Tevez was excellent.

Great to see the Fulham fans stay until the end even when 4-0 down, plenty in Old Trafford and Anfield could learn from that.

Lecale2

Nobody rates the World Club Cup but the League cup was part of the famous Houllier "Treble" in 2001.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Lecale2 on March 07, 2009, 08:39:21 PM
Nobody rates the World Club Cup but the League cup was part of the famous Houllier "Treble" in 2001.

And there was plenty of talk about 5 trophies in a year when he added the Charity Shield and Super Cup.

Personally I think the World Club Cup is unfairly undermined.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

full back

Good performance
For some reason Fulham seem to roll aver against Utd
They started off ok but went to the dogs after the 1st goal

The league is in the bag now & while I would like to win the FA Cup it wouldnt bother me if we went out in the next round.
Am concerned about Wednesday night. Italian teams can bore the opposition into submission at the best of times, but  Jose will be trying his utmost to get another one over on whiskey nose

Close encounter ahead

new devil

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 07, 2009, 07:07:47 PM
Yeah, once Tevez scored United totally dominated. I'm still in shock that Liverpool have fallen so far behind in the league. Maybe Rafa is regretting all those things he did during the season now but the Cup will be hard to win. As for Europe, I'm still wary of Mourinho the f**ker!

I actually cannot believe were only 7points ahead...very bad side..chelsea will finish well clear off them

Another great display today...worried about wednesday nights game,going to be very tough

corn02

Quote from: Lecale2 on March 07, 2009, 08:39:21 PM

Yip, or the 'plastic treble' as United fans called it, so just applying that maxim here as well to keep consistency.

magpie seanie

It doesn't bear comparison Corn as if United do win the 5 they will have won the 5 most important trophies available. 

Square Ball

To win a treble you need to win the double and that has been and always be the FA cup and the league, end of
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

corn02

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 08, 2009, 01:43:02 PM
It doesn't bear comparison Corn as if United do win the 5 they will have won the 5 most important trophies available. 

Firstly I am not comparing those 5 with these 5.

What about the pre-season tournamnets you competed in, at what point do you say there not important?

Fact of the matter is, the only trophies that matter are the three you won in 99. Liverpool fans who argue that the five cups in 01 were an unreal chievement are dillusional - only one cup was worth winning.

For the top four, there are two cups that are significant - Premiership and Champions League. The FA Cup is important, but it is not going to be season defining. Carling, Super, World is just all filler.

corn02

Quote from: Square Ball on March 08, 2009, 01:48:35 PM
To win a treble you need to win the double and that has been and always be the FA cup and the league, end of

The best double does not include the FA Cup.

An Fear Rua

Quote from: corn02 on March 08, 2009, 01:49:15 PM

As far as english footbal goes THE DOUBLE is league and fa cup, always was and always will be.

Its Grim up North

corn02

Quote from: An Fear Rua on March 08, 2009, 02:34:52 PM
Quote from: corn02 on March 08, 2009, 01:49:15 PM

As far as english footbal goes THE DOUBLE is league and fa cup, always was and always will be.

That is why I said the best double does not include the FA Cup. It is such an important double that you decided not even to compete in one of the competitions a few years back.

An Fear Rua

Quote from: corn02 on March 08, 2009, 02:40:54 PM

That is why I said the best double does not include the FA Cup. It is such an important double that you decided not even to compete in one of the competitions a few years back.

::) dear oh dear oh dear  ::)

and you were doing so well
Its Grim up North