Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: corn02 on March 09, 2009, 10:09:16 AM
Quote from: An Fear Rua on March 08, 2009, 03:03:24 PM
Quote from: corn02 on March 08, 2009, 02:40:54 PM

That is why I said the best double does not include the FA Cup. It is such an important double that you decided not even to compete in one of the competitions a few years back.

::) dear oh dear oh dear  ::)

and you were doing so well

Weird, I think you presume I am fishing, which I am not.

I was just backing up my point that United's withdrawal from the competition surely signifies a decreasing attitude towards that competition? What do you think is the best double?

United had to withdraw in 2000, it wasn't like they just decided one day - screw the FA Cup, lets not enter. In commentary on Saturday they said that in the hours after winning the CL in Moscow Ferguson was going on about the disappointment of losing to Portsmouth in the quarter final last year. So there's no doubt the FA Cup is a major target for most and definitely for United. Liverpools decision to throw it this year has obviously backfired on them.

anportmorforjfc

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 09, 2009, 10:41:36 AM

That is why I said the best double does not include the FA Cup. It is such an important double that you decided not even to compete in one of the competitions a few years back.

I was just backing up my point that United's withdrawal from the competition surely signifies a decreasing attitude towards that competition? What do you think is the best double?

United had to withdraw in 2000, it wasn't like they just decided one day - screw the FA Cup, lets not enter. In commentary on Saturday they said that in the hours after winning the CL in Moscow Ferguson was going on about the disappointment of losing to Portsmouth in the quarter final last year. So there's no doubt the FA Cup is a major target for most and definitely for United. Liverpools decision to throw it this year has obviously backfired on them.

I dont think this was the case, Liverpool were just beaten by a better everton team on the night.

EC Unique

Quote from: corn02 on March 08, 2009, 01:48:44 PM
For the top four, there are two cups that are significant - Premiership and Champions League. The FA Cup is important, but it is not going to be season defining. Carling, Super, World is just all filler.

Would agree Corn but the Last 2 have more importance this year for Utd if they can be part of an historic Quintuple. Very un-important on their own.

corn02

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 09, 2009, 10:41:36 AM

Had to withdraw? They could have easily entered a reserve side if they were that keen in going to Brazil. It would have kept the dignity of the cup that year a bit more in tact. They chose the World Club Championships over the FA Cup, simple as.

Liverpool did not throw it. We played full sides and were beaten by a better side over the two games.

corn02

Quote from: EC Unique on March 09, 2009, 10:52:41 AM
Quote from: corn02 on March 08, 2009, 01:48:44 PM
For the top four, there are two cups that are significant - Premiership and Champions League. The FA Cup is important, but it is not going to be season defining. Carling, Super, World is just all filler.

Would agree Corn but the Last 2 have more importance this year for Utd if they can be part of an historic Quintuple. Very un-important on their own.

Yeah can see where you are coming from.

But say you do  clean up, heaven forbid, as a Liverpool fan I will be gutted you won the treble, the other two would not even register with me.

An Fear Rua

Quote from: corn02 on March 09, 2009, 11:20:57 AM

Had to withdraw? They could have easily entered a reserve side if they were that keen in going to Brazil. It would have kept the dignity of the cup that year a bit more in tact. They chose the World Club Championships over the FA Cup, simple as.

all of the above is incorrect - FACT.
Its Grim up North

magpie seanie

Yes - entering a reserve side would really have kept the "dignity of the cup" intact that year! Wise up Corn, surely you don't believe that?

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 09, 2009, 11:49:42 AM
Yes - entering a reserve side would really have kept the "dignity of the cup" intact that year! Wise up Corn, surely you don't believe that?

Did he not mean send a reserve side to Brazil?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

magpie seanie

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on March 09, 2009, 11:54:24 AM

Did he not mean send a reserve side to Brazil?

i'm sure FIFA would have loved that.

corn02

I think it would have been better sending a reserve side to Brazil instead of using the World Cup 2006 excuse. So which is more dignifed MS, entering a reserve team or not even entering a team at all?

corn02

Quote from: An Fear Rua on March 09, 2009, 11:27:59 AM
Quote from: corn02 on March 09, 2009, 11:20:57 AM

all of the above is incorrect - FACT.

How so?

mrsandman

Quote from: corn02 on March 09, 2009, 12:06:37 PM

I think it would have been better sending a reserve side to Brazil instead of using the World Cup 2006 excuse. So which is more dignifed MS, entering a reserve team or not even entering a team at all?

Not entering at all, at least in that case the eventual winner hasn't beat the best team in England  :D :D
Constipated People Don't Give A crap.

corn02

Quote from: mrsandman on March 09, 2009, 12:08:33 PM

Not entering at all, at least in that case the eventual winner hasn't beat the best team in England  :D :D

Uh huh.  ???

mrsandman

Quote from: corn02 on March 09, 2009, 12:09:58 PM

Uh huh.  ???

Whoever won it that year...im not sure who didnt beat man utd, and so when they argue 'we won they FA cup in 2000' united fans can say but you didnt beat us, playing a reserve side wouldn't have the same effect as they would have been beaten.
Constipated People Don't Give A crap.

corn02

Quote from: mrsandman on March 09, 2009, 12:16:07 PM
Quote from: corn02 on March 09, 2009, 12:09:58 PM

Uh huh.  ???

Whoever won it that year...im not sure who didnt beat man utd, and so when they argue 'we won they FA cup in 2000' united fans can say but you didnt beat us, playing a reserve side wouldn't have the same effect as they would have been beaten.

Ok weird, are you suggesting whoever won it that year should have a note beside the trophy saying "but we didn't beat United"?